Guest viewing is limited

THR Chessie checking in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @beachgal ! How did pre-op testing go? Are you at the house where you will be recovering now? Hope you had a good trip. :)

I am doing the "home health care". I figured I might as well since the visits are covered at 100% by my insurance. This covers a nurse that comes and checks the dressing, and checks vitals. She just left, and she said since I had a glued incision they don't change that dressing, it would stay in place for about a week. She asked if I had had any issues with constipation, and since I did have a bm today, she said that was great. A nurse might come 1 or 2 more times. PT came just before the nurse. They went through all the exercises that we'll be doing. So, so far... So good. :ok:
 
All, I am being careful. Not overdoing at all. The have me on Percoset for pain, aspirin as a blood thinner, and Meloxicam an antinflammatory. Last night I had fallen asleep around 7:30 and when I woke up at 9 the pain was really uncomfortable. Now I make sure that I take it before I need it!! PT told me that I need to sit no longer than an hour at a time, and then get up and walk around. They went over all the exercises that we will be doing tomorrow. She and the nurse were both very nice. My mom is over here with me today and she will spend the night. And my son is here as well, so I have good help.:thumb: I am walking okay with the walker, I tell you I would not want to be without that thing!
 
Sounds like you have great home health care! Taking meds on schedule definitely helps, and I agree about the walker. After a week I started practicing with the cane- PT will show you how to use it correctly. You seem to be doing well on the recovery road!
 
@Chessie, pre-op testing was spot on for me! Passed with flying colors! A week from today, I might become an official member of the "other side hipsters"!! Since our Jackson area home is only about 3 hours away, I was only there overnight. I'm still working at the office but my workload is diminishing as I type! I should be able to put this puppy to rest by Tuesday. We'll travel back to our Jackson home Wednesday and use Thursday to grocery shop, change the bed linens, and generally chill. I'll get my call for surgery time then, too.

Your home health care situation sounds perfect! Having someone checking on those things just provides a level of comfort and assurance that only enhances your mental well-being. Good job!
 
Great that your doing so well @Chessie. I so agree with eh not siting longer than an hour. I find I have to get up and move after about that time - it makes all the muscles feel so much better!
@beachgal - sounds like you have everything really well organised and I look forward to reading all about your shiny new hip!!!
 
Just thought I would update my progress. About 12 hours from now will be exactly oner week since my surgery. I feel a little better every day. Still taking my pain meds regularly ( 1 percoset about every 6-7 hours, Mobic and aspirin twice a day). Trying to use the walker as much as possible in the house - PT said getting a good gait before leaving the walker was very important and that makes sense to me. I sleep okay, but I wake up frequently really wanting to turn over, but I know I can't yet. That is driving me crazy. :sigh: PT comes 3 Times a week, and they think I'll be done with them in another week or two. PT is great - really glad I decided to do that! Today I asked her about some kind of slide cap for the non-wheeled legs of the walker, as it just drags over everything, and makes awful marks on my vinyl floor in the kitchen. She promtly went to her car and brought back 2 tennis balls that had been cut for that purpose, and WOW the walker is SO much easier to use now. I can't believe I had not read about that little tip here as I am sure that I must be the only dummy that did not know about that! :blush:

I went out Saturday and Sunday for a couple of hours, with my boyfriend, to get out of the house. Saturday he got in a run and I sat on a bench at the lake while he ran. Sunday we took back the defective toilet to Home Depot. I used the cane, and walked very slowly. Was pretty tired both nights so I made sure I got plenty of rest. Iced a bit too, after I got back home.

Today my son brought over his little half-siblings ( his dad remarried and had 2 more kids) and I made therm some rice krispies treats. Managed to do that with no problems, so later I decided to make use of the fresh-picked blueberries my dad had brought over, and I made blueberry muffins! :) I felt so good tonight that I asked my son to go for a walk with me, and we walked around the block, which is 6/10 of a mike, with the cane, and I am very happy about that. :yes!: I know it seems like I am doing a lot, but I am not at all uncomfortable, so I think I am doing well.

Also, my wound is still under wraps so I can't submit a scar picture yet. My incision is glued and under what looks like a large bandaid. I have had no bruising at all, which I think is great, but I am told that bruising can occur 2 weeks out. I think I am supposed to have one more visit by the nurse this week so I will ask about that, and also about the bandaid.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful report @Chessie and I can so relate to the turning over in bed - I just did it and then asked if I could and to my surprise the hospital said yes. Do you have any idea when you can side sleep?
I also have been concentrating on my gait - the physio I had at hospital said it doesn't matter how far or how fast just make sure you are walking right. I had my left leg lengthened by and inch and a half so now have to be very aware of making a heal strike instead of toe first.
It is wonderful that your doing so much and your body will tell you when to pull up no doubt. Mine did yesterday with pain through the roof, albeit only short term pain so when you get to that please acknowledge it and take it into account.
I look forward to seeing your wound too. Mine was also glued and I have two pics (day 2 and day 8) up in the thread.
That is a great hint about he tennis balls and no - not everyone knew that one either :)
Keep up the great work and I look forward to reading more about your recovery!!!
 
When I got up this morning, I went to the potty, brushed my teeth, and walked down to the hall and into the kitchen to get something to eat. And then realized I had not brought my walker. LOL! So I am using the cane today...walker really is just no longer needed. My PT came this morning, and said that Friday will be my last visit as I have done so well. Yay! The nurse is coming today, and hopefully I will find out about getting this big ol' band-aid off of my incision. The last pain pill I took was at 6am, and really I feel just fine. No pain issues at all. Would have to say it's a big ol' ZERO right now. Only issue is a bit of constipation so I guess I have not been doing well on eating the prune cookies! :sad: I just took some MOM so hopefully that will take care of it. Also got some fiber gummies and plan on taking a few of those each day.

Overall though - not too much to complain about. :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Chessie checking in!
[Bonesmart.org] Chessie checking in! @Chessie, keep up the good work as it seems you're doing it all right.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
@Chessie , gotta ask, with such an awesome recovery in only one week. Did you have the direct anterior or the posterior approach?
 
@Chessie , gotta ask, with such an awesome recovery in only one week. Did you have the direct anterior or the posterior approach?

Well I am certainly not recovered @Zebra , I don't want anyone to think that!! :nah: I am walking with a cane, and I just got my bandage off today (I will post a pic later). I do have one more PT session, and my post-op on Monday will hopefully give me the okay to go back to work on the 31st, which is what I had planned.

But, I would agree that my recovery has progressed at a rate that is certainly faster than is typical, and I think that is the result of a few things. My surgeon is widely known/respected around here for his replacements on athletic people, with very quick recoveries. Every single PT and nurse that I have spoken with has marveled at the recoveries of his patients. He does the anterior approach, using the Hana table. He does well over 500 hip replacements a year, and has been doing them here for several years. Those are the reasons I chose him. That said, I was very active right up until surgery. I did pretty much stop running and I had given up a few other things at the gym, due to the pain, and I was walking with a slight limp, due to the extreme loss of range of motion. But, I absolutely continued to push through regular rigorous gym workouts, including 30 mile bike rides on the stationary bike to keep my quads and other leg muscles strong. My doc told me that the bike would be my best friend before and after surgery, and I went with that.

So, I think it has been a combination of things that has allowed me to progress to where I am in such a short time. :) I am realistic though. I expect that it might take 3 months, or even more, before I am at 100%. My intention is to get back on the stationary bike first - and I am SO looking forward to that!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Chessie you are doing so well it's so good to see your quick recovery! I agree with having a reputable, very experienced surgeon is a major facror. My recovery is goibg amazingly well too...and even though I almost feel guilty saying this since there are so many people here in great pain, I have not touched a single tramadol I was prescribed since I got out the hospital July 14 because I have no pain whatsoever. My surgeon is also know for his quick recoveries and is even head of orthopedics at although just in his early 40s. But the entire team of OS are young with only 1 in his early 50s.
Anyway keep up the good wirk it's so encouraging!
 
@GabsJL Wow you are doing far better than I am regarding the pain meds! I did have a good amount of incision pain - although right after surgery it honestly just felt like my whole thigh. I took the percocet fairly regularly until yesterday when I could honestly say that I had no more pain at all. Some minor discomfort, yes, but not what I could call pain.

By the way I did take Tramadol the week before surgery since I had to stop the NSAIDS and it was the only thing that would let me sleep, and do you know I think I am allergic to that stuff - I developed several tiny super-itchy bumps in several places...and I noticed immediately after surgery they had stopped itching - so I doubt I will be taking it again!

I didn't sleep last night though...I was dealing with a queasy tummy (getting though the constipation issue :sick:) and my boyfriend was here and I never sleep that well when he is here because I am so worried about waking him up - weird I know. Hoping I sleep some today :yawn: - at least my tummy is better now.

Glad you are doing so well - continue the good progress!!

p.s. I love Paris!!! Was there in 2008 and can't wait to go back!
 
@Chessie , I had a similar recovery, esp. with my second anterior surgery 3 weeks ago. I'm often amazed when I remind myself that it is major surgery that the body can recover so quickly. Who is your OS? I'm in Virginia as well and feel that my OS is amazing at what he does but it is good to have names of others to refer people to.

I hope your recovery continues at the same pace! You go girl!
 
@Chessie, what a great report!!! I hope I do half as well as you tomorrow. So proud and happy for you!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I called my doc's office yesterday and got the okay to take my bandage off - yay! This is the incision, right after removing the bandage. Maybe just a teentsy bit of bruising, but that's it. I was expected it to be much uglier. This is at 8 days post-op.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Chessie checking in!
    incision.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 232
Thanks @beachgal - so your surgery is tomorrow then?

@CodeGirl , my surgeon was Dr. Anthony Carter in Newport News, VA. Yes I agree it is honestly amazing how quickly we can heal! Glad you have had a good experience too! I think as time goes by these quicker recoveries will become more and more common - at least I hope so.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom