Cherdonnay's R THR March 13,2017 second time is a charm

Status
Not open for further replies.
[emoji23]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
LOL, had me going there, wondering how surgery made your hair smoother :loll:
 
@Josephine @Jaycey, sitting here in my recliner tonight, no pressure on the incision area, I started to feel little pins and needles prickling me like tiny electrical shocks. It's enough to make me jump. Ouch. I know it's the nerve endings starting to heal. I'm Anterior and this is right on top. Seems like th ice aggravates it more. What can I do??



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ONE WEEK TODAY UPDATE

This has been one fast week, looking back on it. Surgery 7am last Monday. They had me up and walking within a couple hours. I had a nausea patch behind my ear that lasted several days. I slept well the one night in the hospital with the use of ear plugs. Home after lunch on Tuesday.

Had a very hard time getting into the car. 5'2" isn't tall enough for me to back into my seat with the black plastic bag on it. Two men ended up trying to lift me in. After a bit I was in. Not as hard getting out. No problem going up three steps into the house. I have taken 1000mg Tylenol and 50mg Tramadol every 6 hours. Days 3 and 4 I had burning over my incision that went away with an extra Tramadol. That has settled down and I have 0 to 1 pain resting.

Log leg hurts when I lift it to get up and down may 3 or 4. I can do 10 heel slides very slowly. Not too much pain while slow. Physical therapy coming to my home this afternoon. Last Friday physical therapy was slow and easy. I don't plan on pushing it.

It seems like I have to eat a snack every time I turn around so I can take my meds with food on my tummy. It's every six hours but seems like it is almost constant. I think I can cut back on some meds because I'm taking the same as day one but not sure which I would cut back on.

Thanks everyone. For all your sharing you do.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Cherdonnay if you want to tag somebody, you have to make sure you spell their name correctly and also that there is no space between the name and the @. This is the correct spelling for Jaycey.
Seems like the ice aggravates it more. What can I do??
The zingers are quite common and if the ice aggravates it, then either stop icing it or put more padding between you and the ice.
I have taken 1000mg Tylenol and 50mg Tramadol every 6 hours. Days 3 and 4 I had burning over my incision that went away with an extra Tramadol.
There are many manifestations of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness. All need to be medicated. I suggest you take two Tramadol more often, like at least twice a day. After all, you are only one week out and the anterior notwithstanding, you do need to take more pain meds for another couple of weeks yet, at least.
I can do 10 heel slides very slowly. Physical therapy coming to my home this afternoon
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess. So I strongly suggest you cancel the PT and stop exercising. It's not necessary anyway.
 
Great to hear from you Cherdonnay. You sound like you are doing really well. Personally, I would be very cautious about cutting down on any meds at such an early stage. They are helping you to become more active as well as keeping the pain in check.
Enjoy your snacks! You'll be cutting them out soon enough but at the moment they're giving you energy for healing as well as protecting your stomach.
Take care of yourself xx
 
Two week OS visit
My two week check up went very well. The dressing was removed-no discomfort there-
My incision was glued, no staples to remove. Incision is smooth with no redness. Just a thin line that should fade as time goes by. OS agrees that the best physical therapy is walking and just recommends slow and easy pt. I will start outpatient pt next week, only once or twice a week. I have to pay $35 each time I go so I plan to do a minimal amount. I have no restrictions. I am to start walking more so will be glad when we get our sunny days soon. One more appointment
In 30 more days if needed. I can drive when I'm off Tramadol and comfortable.
It's still hard getting in and out of car so that will be awhile yet.

All is good so onward and upward.
 
Great to hear your update! Glad all is going well. I didn't drive (automatic) until week 5 and then only short journeys - it does get easier getting in and out of the car as the weeks go by. I now find I have to remind myself of the restrictions. Take care. Small PT movements helped me, no big movements that hurt was my advice. And walking, gradually building up distance.
Take care,
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Cherdonnay, so pleased to hear that you are doing so well. Having the staples out was really quite sore, so lucky you to have glue! Sounds like you are making great progress - long may it continue!
Diane xx
 
Good for you, moving forward. Yeah I imagine the in and out of the car will be a hassle for me too. Pre-op it was getting worse and worse. Soo happy for your follow up visit and progress. Hope it stays that way :)
 
Thanks everyone. We have enough sun today that my husband placed a comfortable directors chair outside for me and I sat out on our patio in the warm sunshine for awhile. It was heavenly
My husband and son went to the hardware store to buy supplies to build a handrail for me on our front steps so I can start using the front door. Will be nice to have[emoji846]
Has anyone who had right hip replaced, figured out the trick of getting in and out of the car on the drivers side? I'm getting in ok on the passenger side, placing non operated side in first but seems a lot more complicated to get in on drivers side with the operated side first.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am asking myself the same question about getting in and out of the car on the drivers side. Any tips would be helpful.
Love the picture of your furry friend. We adopted a mini schnauzer with 3 legs a couple oc years ago. She makes me smile no matter what. (-:
 
I would love to know. My surgeon said no driving for a month so I have a while to figure it out. I would think the Physical therapist would have an answer.
 
Don't know if this is helpful or not, as far as in/out of the car on drivers side (RTHR). However, I was told to push seat back as far is it will go and lift up the steering wheel. To get in, have your butt facing the seat and sit down, then swing your legs in. Adjust seat and steering wheel. To get out, lift steering wheel, move back seat, swing legs out and then stand up. Mine is a LTHR, however, the last 6 weeks prior to surgery, I couldn't lift my right leg enough to get in as I lost quite a bit of ROM on my right side. Don't know if it is from my left hip or back. Or the fact that everything shifted as I was limping for so long. At any rate, that is what I was told to do.
 
@Cherdonnay glad to hear you are doing well. Love sitting out in the sun! I was so tired today and would have loved to sit in the sun but we had a day of rain.
 
Thanks for your helpful comments. I think it will be a couple more weeks before I'm ready to drive. I am 2 1/2 weeks now. My husband is retired and able to drive me around. I know I want to feel more healed than I do now, before I drive. I am happy with my ROM at 2. 1/2 weeks but need more to drive. I will ask my pt next week
When I go so I can get help on that aspect when the time comes.
 
@Hippymimi Our fur babies
add so much joy to our lives. Adopting your little 3 leg dog is awsome. They learn to adapt and can make wonderful pets. Max follows me from one end of the house to the other. He is so dedicated to me.
 
@Cherdonnay by the time you are released to drive you should have the flexibility to get in and out of the car. If you don't - I would not drive!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom