I can't tell you how many times I have heard this from our members. "So and so was running marathons at 2 months out of surgery." Complete and utter rubbish!I guess at 8 weeks I expected more progress. The whole surgery was advertised as 6 weeks back up and running.
Unfortunately surgeons often set unrealistic expectations. For several years I worked with a very experienced orthopaedic surgeon. He said that until he nursed his Father through TKR recovery, he had no idea how complex, tedious and frustrating the process could be. As a result, he now advises his patient totally differently.
And now you know why BoneSmart was created. So many members like you come here frustrated or hurting because they are trying reach silly milestones.
There are no milestones for this recovery. That hip is in charge now. Listen to it and it will very quickly tell you when you have gone too far.
Never push through. If something doesn't feel right, back off and try again another day. What seems impossible at the time, will be easy a bit further into the process.it makes me wonder 'do i push through or pull back' all the time...
United Kingdom
) and told him I wasn’t up for much and was in some pain/tweaked. So he proposed instead of usual body oragami he had me do some NEW exercises that were simple and I was very tentative..but also OLD slightly more difficult ones that I was familiar with and did easily….he did this to prove a point that paying *some* attention to the ‘mental’ side of recovery, learning to trust your hip and body again, and recovering your mojo important too. Fair point, and had no pain doing exercises…but still believe main point is listen to body and progress sensibly. And yes you can all fire away at me from even showing up at PT knowing how I posted earlier…yes we men are stupid.
...no, really,

