Guest viewing is limited

THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

@Barbaraj Hope you had a great day with all the :tree: activities. Getting things accomplished should help with the anxiety of the season.

The frost has been spectacular, almost looks like snow on the pastures that are shaded by the towering evergreens. The walk out to the barn hasn't been bad though. Luckily I'm not doing chores, so its all good!

I'm leaving my crutch all over the house. Cruising countertops in kitchen and bathrooms.

The "pace" of my day is starting to pick up a little bit....nothing like most folks who are back on the go, but more so than weeks one and two!! I've been doing a little bit of laundry, made banana bread, two walks out to the barn and my neighbour came by for tea. Iced in between. Hubs is cooking dinner and the dogs are stretched out in front of the fire. No OA pain in either hip. Feeling blessed!

Wishing you a peaceful evening!

P.S. Can you see Mount Baker from where you are?
 
Hi friend. Hope today is a good day.
First I had a few rides at about four months out where DH was giving me 's shoulder to lean on to keep weight distributed and steady and I stepped through as you say.
First thing I noticed is that wide spread of my hips, (it's a big four wheeler) no longer hurt sitting there.
Didn't ride rough paths, and slow obviously.
By 7-8 months out, I could just swing my leg right over!:happydance:
Before just the position of riding was painful and uncomfortable but now
[Bonesmart.org] Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Vroom vroom !
I have my legs up to keep little Mojo from falling off...legs down fine too.
 
Good morning, @Alitm, you continue to make good, steady progress on your recovery and sounds like at least inside the house you're managing pretty well with countertop support. That must feel so great, and as you look back to before your surgeries, both of them, I'm betting the improvement is wonderful. For me, that first time baking my husband's birthday cake, about 2-1/2 weeks out from surgery, represented a real milestone for me. Sure, I ended up burning my index finger a bit as I was clumsily bending down to remove the cake from the oven and touched a hot rack (ouch!) but as with so many things we're able to do post-surgery, each new activity marks a step forward along the hip recovery journey. Fabulous that in all these activities you report no arthritis pain--woo, hoo. Hope today is another great day for you.

PS I can't really see Baker where we are; we live down in a "bowl" closer to the Sound, but I have a marvelous view of the Olympics on a clear day as I drive back into my neighborhood. I can see Baker if I'm on I-5 going north, although my husband has to point it out to me as all mountains look alike to me!
 
Going to make the most of the rest of this week's sunshine @Barbaraj! Rain heading in on Saturday. Slightly warmer temps, but a few flurries forecasted. As long as it isn't freezing rain, I'm getting out and walking!

I can see Mount Baker if I head south about nineteen minutes. Our son's school has an incredible view of the Mountain. We are on the same parallel as Bellingham, WA. The border does some interesting twists and turns after it hits the Pacific and goes through the islands.

Oh no that you burned your finger while baking DH's b'day cake! Ouch!

Have a friend coming to tea (I'm in a very British area...lots of retired Brits!) this afternoon, and yesterday's Banana bread hasn't been completely gobbled up by DH and YS (youngest son). No further baking required.

I really am feeling the "I want to be here, but I'm only there" scenario. I know I can't push this thing, but keep looking back at my Tylenol dosing from last time, and know that really I have to get through week four before heading to feeling a bit closer to normal :bored:. A friend wants me to engage in a timed word game on line, and I just can't do it!! Makes me feel like a complete idiot :unsure:. She has been through major back surgery some years ago, so one would think she'd remember the first few weeks post op, apparently not!!!

Managing to get my son's sheets washed today. Did his towels yesterday. Little goals!! UGH!

Enjoy the :SUNsmile: today!
 
Sounds like a busy day for you yesterday, @Alitm, lots of house chores (ah, the perpetual lure of laundry!) but also a visit with a friend which must have been nice. You are getting very close to week 4, and I'm betting that you will notice, as you did with your first hip replacement, that things will definitely look brighter, you'll feel stronger and more confident about your gait and energy. This time of year is an energy drain even for non-recovery patients, but it is extra important for you to really balance out activity and rest. Finding the right combo is tough, I know, but you will do well--look at recovery from #1 and pat yourself on the back! Enjoy our last day of sunshine until the rains return tonight. Happy Friday!
 
Great sunny day to celebrate the end of week three and moving on to week four!! :dancing:

With the sunny but cold weather, I was thinking that if I had an outdoor chaise, I could put it outside and bundle up everything but my hips joints, and sit there in the sunshine. As it is still so cold, it would count as icing!!! That was an @Bone-obo idea, I can't take credit ....but today is a perfect day for it! Instead I will do my walk out to the barn, in worn thin jeans, bundle up the top half and feet, and ice the legs!! :ice: . Having cold thighs, knees and calves/shins has to count towards icing points right?!! :wink:

Lovely visit with my friend who stopped by yesterday. To those just coming out from surgery, it is so wonderful to have visitors, but it gets very tiring and wore me out by week two after my first surgery in Sept. I have stretched the visitors out this time, which has really helped with the fatigue.

Hoping to look at live Christmas trees (with roots) with hubby this AM at the garden centre. We are thinking we'll put one out in a pot outside and deck it with colourful lights...and plant in the spring. If our son ever brings up the house decos from the basement (Hubby can't lift due to hernia)...this weekend hopefully, I'm going to decorate the house, and bring out a small fake tree (that I've had since my apartment days) with lovely mini wooden ornaments and lights. Neither hubby or I can face a full sized tree this year, with me recovering and he having surgery in January! I think our almost eighteen year old can handle a decorated house, stockings hung, but a miniature tree! Next year we'll go all out again when our other two children and significant others can join us.:tree lights:

Interesting observation, I am craving and eating a lot of lean protein, twice my normal portion sometimes. My husband is laughing at what I eat sometimes....all healthy, but lots of it. This healing must be burning some serious energy while healing and rebuilding the joint capsule and repairing "disturbed" (:giggle:) muscle! Last week was record eating, this week seems to be more normal. Trying for protein with every meal.

I am really excited as I can walk without aids...with total concentration there is hardly a limp with the heel toe footfall, so practice a walk a day, down the hallway in a straight line with that, and the rest of the time it is one crutch inside....two outside as walking poles, as I tire easily without them. I will trial the hiking poles again tomorrow, depending on my tired factor! Last time I switched to them on what would be this coming Tuesday...and I am ahead of the game this time. Not going to push beyond my capabilities and end up in the ODIC...So far three weeks and no visits...unbelievable. Maybe, just maybe I'm learning with this second time around business!

My physio made me promise I wouldn't do any barn chores until the middle of January, so between family, friends and help, the barn chores are covered until the third week in January, where I'll be ten weeks post op second surgery. Somewhere in there will be hubby's hernia surgery. I'll be able to gradually take over the barn chores, depending on DH's surgery date. I am determined to slowly start the elliptical at six weeks as OS suggested last time (but I was scrambling to cover the barn chores with hubby's injury), as that will give me all over body tone and stamina, which is so valuable when working with horses. Doing the modified upper body and core work again now which has been oked by OS and physio. Sleep seems to be the most amazing healing tool at the moment. Slow and steady wins the race!

Wishing everyone a comfortable Friday. :reindeerlights:
 
Last edited:
@Mojo333 Thanks so much for getting back to me with my questions....really helpful and much appreciated

I am thinking that at about six months second surgery I'll be training again....but will do whatever it takes time and healing wise, and not rush it. My OS is so supportive of me riding and training again, so seems to be taking a special interest...as I am his first equine rider to get back to their life. He has dealt with a lot of other athletes, but not a rider. He was kind enough to consult with other OS who were riders.

A lot of folks here borrow a saddle "form" from the local tack shop (shop owner has an extra one that she lends out with so many folks having THR!). It is easy to get on, and one can slide on easily without putting a saddle on it at first. Hard to describe....but what folks do once they have been cleared by OS, is borrow and sit on the form and relax the muscles, catching up on texts or watch TV or whatever, for three to five mins, and slowly build up, before getting on the horse. I have also found that Somatics really helps relax muscles...my inner thigh muscles need that so badly and I can start that at six weeks post op.

Thank you so much again :roseshwr:
 
Last edited:
@SurreyGirl, There is a pilates move for that....seriously! :heehee: You should look into it if you aren't already familiar with it! Lay/lie on your tummy on a yoga/pilates mat and put your arms out in front and legs behind, forehead on the mat. Start with engaging your core to protect your lower back, and whilst lifting your head slightly (but still looking down...important so you don't strain your neck), lift your left arm and right leg as a diagonal pair just slightly off the ground, as if you are swimming freestyle, without bringing your arms back for the freestyle stroke. Then relax and try the other side. Eventually you will be able to engage your core and "flutter swim" from diagonal pair to diagonal pair! Just laying still on your tummy will help stretch out your hip flexors, if they are ready for that. Could I do any of that right now? Absolutely NOT :rotfl: , but I will get back to it eventually!!!! Perhaps mention it to your phsyio first!

:santa sleigh:
 
You are going to be so delighted how those hips are going to feel riding.
I know it.
 
I love reading about your progress! Kudos to you for juggling both hips and a hubby surgery all packed into one super surgical year. Hope you were able to find a pretty potted tree to decorate!
 
Thanks @hiphoser :) . It has been a doozer year for surgeries in our household! Planning to be the new and improved in 2019!! We found a lovely blue spruce, that will eventually grow to the height we are looking for in the spot we'll plant it in the spring!. It will look great at our front door with lights on it. We'll take the truck down to the garden store tomorrow, and they'll load it for us, and our son will unload it and put it into position so we can string the lights :tree lights:. Looking forward to getting the house looking festive this weekend. Finally getting some energy back!
Wishing you a comfortable weekend :tree:
 
Well, good morning, @Alitm. When did you sneak a new picture onto your forum? Is that you and a beloved horse? Nice picture! Sounds like a busy weekend of decorating for you--what a great idea to find a live tree to put outside and decorate. Every year I make tentative noises about replacing a 7 foot tree with a tabletop tree or even a fake tree, and every year I get shot down. I know we wouldn't be able to put a lot of ornaments up on a tabletop, but I'd be fine with that. I enjoy our big tree for a week or so, but by the time Christmas rolls around I am heartily sick of it (all those dry needles imbedding themselves in our family room carpet!) and those holiday décor items which have turned into major dust catchers! Argh! I think you are being very sensible this year, introducing holiday magic but in a thoughtful, reasonable way. But I am sure your son will be pleased to find decorations, even if things are different than in prior years. There is no set recipe for holiday magic, in my opinion.
Sounds like walking is going well, every week small steps forward--walking pole next week, woo, hoo! I am guessing by Christmas, at the rate you're going, you'll be comfortable walking inside and out, carefully of course, and your mood will be high. Wish I had your enthusiasm for lean protein. Witness my really unfortunate breakfast this morning--and a bowl of oatmeal and raisins for dinner last night, and you'll know I am the Queen of the Carbs in terms of my diet. I will try to eat a healthy lunch today as I know the event this evening will be cocktails and fat/carb loaded little hors d'oeuvres! By all rights, I should be packing on pounds every holiday season given my bad eating habits. But come January I'll get sensible again--lots of salad for lunch, veggie stir fries and stern limits on alcohol. But for now, enjoy!
 
@Barbaraj I had a sleepless on Vancouver Island night last night. Hubby and I were waiting up for our son (and sort of watching a movie that wasn't holding our attention), who was driving home around 10:30 PM. There was a weather warning posted for wet snow and freezing rain. The driving conditions were poor....once a mother, always a mother, what can I say. Our son loves to chat when he gets home, while hubby I have toothpicks holding up our eye lids. It is his final year at home before he flies the coupe, so we stay up! Last night's conversation was a continuation about university applications....important! Unfortunately I get a second wind, and can't get to sleep. Hubby and son are snoring as their heads hit their respective pillows, but I'm :bored::whistle: and can't sleep until about 1 AM...I think I was up later last night. There was also a certain forum advisor who was up too!! :heehee: . Luckily I don't have to get up and feed horses for a while longer, so I stayed in bed until 8 AM...which was helpful but quite decadent for me!

Yes, this is my big boy Quest, who thinks he is a lap dog. Although respectful of one's space, he loves to cuddle. This picture was taken right after a training session with a visiting clinician, and I'd just taken off my helmet, thus the slight mark on my forehead. However, it is typical of when I am in my happy place, in riding breaches working with horses :).

Yesterday I had a lovely walk, just down the driveway, to hang two holiday swags on the farm gate posts, with my stable kitty in tow...he thinks he is a dog and is the most wonderful companion in the barn. I had to walk up a slight incline coming back up to the house (was using the two crutches as walking poles), and my soft tissues are :groan:complaining this AM. Hurry up and heal I say!! Slow and steady apparently didn't include inclines yesterday! Staying on the flat today! I count that as a glance at the ODIC...my first so far, and hopefully my last!!

We went to the garden store yesterday and bought a lovely blue spruce, that in ten years will mature to 50' high. We are setting it outside our front door, which is all glass with glass lights, and will be a fun place to be able to see the tree all lit up. If we bring it inside in a pot, it can only be inside for a few days before the sap begins to run. If that happens it will go into shock if we take it back outside to plant. We have the perfect spot for it once spring comes and it will complement all the other towering evergreens, so it stays outside..as that makes life easier. I have to finish dusting today, so I can start putting up house decos tomorrow.
Hubby is making me more oxtail soup, with bone broth, to boost my healing! Feeling spoiled :roseshwr:
 
Hey pretty lady...so nice to put a face with a name.
Nice pic of you and Quest. It sounds like your hips are doing well
I went to the garden center today, a day behind you.
It was a chilly one outside here today. Hubby and I went to buy greenery for window boxes and it was all displayed outside on big tables. At only 24D/-4C it was a quick grab, purchase run...Brrr!
Hope you've had a nice Saturday. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
@Alitm
 
Hi @Layla We were having those temps last week. It is above zero here today. We were supposed to have snow last night, but it materialized as freezing rain. Glad you picked up the window box greens and hustled home! Bet the boxes are looking good!

Hubs went back to the garden centre today with the truck to pick up the blue spruce tree, and both Hubs and the guy loading it slipped on ice and went down. Of course Hubs didn't tell me. I did notice he didn't put the horses out today, which was odd. I picked up a message on the house phone later today from Isabelle at the garden centre wondering how hubby was! I called back and the fall was revealed. How nice of them to call. Of course Hubs says he is "fine", but I worry about that hernia and whatever else he hit when he landed. He is 6'5" so a lot to hit the ice...poor guy. We have stay out of trouble and get him through his surgery next month! Bubble wrap for the Alitm's!
 
Oh, what we do for the holiday season--I hope your poor husband is feeling okay, and didn't do any real damage. Let's hope he takes it easy today so those aches and pains subside a little. Just rainy here, but not that cold. You and your husband both just need to both take it easy today, @Alitm--put a fire on and curl up and relax, it's that kind of day.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom