Guest viewing is limited

THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

@EL11 Sleep really is the key to healing isn’t it! :sleep: I’m taking 3 mgs melatonin at bedtime. I’m off the Tramacet completely now, but taking a full complement of Tylenol. In retreading my thread I backed off the Tylenol a little too soon last time. Really helpful to look back. You also gave me a ton of advice after first surgery and I am most grateful for that as well! Thank you :roseshwr:!
I did? Can't remember what it was, but I'm glad it helped and you're welcome of course! I might re-order that herbal sleep aid I got from Amazon. What did you think of it, @lovesstars? I've been taking Tylenol PM lately.

I just ordered a pair of the same lightweight tennies I've been wearing for at least a year, same kind, dark grey instead of black, thinking about this wear-pattern issue. It'll be snowy and icy, but I need them for the treadmill, gym, or just power-walking around the house.

BTW I have had a bunion or bone spur on my left foot (below my big toe but more top of the foot than the side) that was a constant issue for the last couple of years, meaning I had to wear some kind of pad all the time. I've been so consumed with thinking about my healing that I only recently realized it is scarcely bothering me. I'll see what happens when I revert back to non-sneaker footwear, but I wonder how much it was exacerbated by the way I was walking.
 
@EL11 I'm sure that your new and improved walk pattern has helped the bunion/bone spur!
 
Last edited:
Good morning, @Alitm. I hope you are getting the same sunny, if cold, start to your morning. I was up way too early this morning, as my husband had to be up and out of the house, heading about an hour south for a meeting this morning, so once he was up--at 5:30, groan--I was awake as well, although didn't crawl out of bed until after he left around 6:15. I had a very busy weekend, with lots of holiday related decorating and projects, plus the unexpected visit and overnight stay of my daughter, her husband and two grands, due a power outage at their house. Maybe it was just all the unexpectedly high activity but I was so exhausted every night this weekend--at least that meant sleep came easily and hard. As one of the lucky ones whose hip surgery recovery has gone very well, I tend to forget that energy drain and fatigue is still a real issue for me. December is always a hectic month, but I need to do a better job this year of managing activity and balancing it that with rest so I don't completely burn out by month's end. With husband gone for most of the day, I think I will try to just veg out this morning--okay, other than back-to-back loads of laundry created by bedding and towels from the unexpected overnight--and if I am feeling motivated, maybe try to hit the gym this afternoon for a s-l-o-w workout.

Reading through your posts it seems like you continue to do well, using your experience with hip #1 to guide you, and being sensible about activity and rest. Fabulous that you're off narcotics, as the muddle-headed side effect is difficult to deal with, but glad that Tylenol is still being used to deal with discomfort. Enjoy your day, and our weather forecaster said sunny all week--wahoo--even if cold. I love sunshine, especially this time of year, it's such a mood booster. Cheers, and happy Monday.
 
I did? Can't remember what it was, but I'm glad it helped and you're welcome of course! I might re-order that herbal sleep aid I got from Amazon. What did you think of it, @lovesstars? I've been taking Tylenol PM lately.

I just ordered a pair of the same lightweight tennies I've been wearing for at least a year, same kind, dark grey instead of black, thinking about this wear-pattern issue. It'll be snowy and icy, but I need them for the treadmill, gym, or just power-walking around the house.

BTW I have had a bunion or bone spur on my left foot (below my big toe but more top of the foot than the side) that was a constant issue for the last couple of years, meaning I had to wear some kind of pad all the time. I've been so consumed with thinking about my healing that I only recently realized it is scarcely bothering me. I'll see what happens when I revert back to non-sneaker footwear, but I wonder how much it was exacerbated by the way I was walking.
I didn’t actually purchase that sleep aid...just left it in my cart!

I purchased slip-on boots in a size larger than normal and that is what i have been wearing. I tried to put on my normal shoes — and three-months’ out...my feet are still a little swollen and I cannot wear normal shoes anyway. Sigh.

When I am good and ready to spend time on the floor I will go through the shoes in my closet to see what actually is no longer wearable. But here I am in boots until early April anyway, so I suppose I have time.
 
Things are coming along, as I'm almost halfway through week three on leftie, and halfway through week twelve on righty!! Yay!! :yes!:

Lovely sunshine these past three days. Had cousins visiting on Saturday and two trips out to the barn yesterday. Increased activity means increased appetite and deeper sleep. After two trips to the barn yesterday, I had nap at 4:30! Amazing how the energy will leave us quickly when we push. Had a great nights sleep, a little stiff this AM so will only make one trip to the barn today, icing and elevating etc. Seeing my physio tomorrow so will report back on that. Should be interesting, as he will be able to help with unlocking tight muscle patterns from pre-surgery OA pain, and assist with gentle stretching etc. I'll report back. Still have a little swelling in left leg, so he'll only do an little assessment on that, no putting me through the paces like the PT at the hospital did!!

Finished narcotics last week and doing Tylenol around the clock. I will probably sleep through the middle-of-the night-dose, and add it during the day and see how that works. Post from last hip reminded me to keep up with the Tylenol as mobility increased. This time around the sleeping has been easier, out of recliner and back in bed sooner. Even trialed a bit of side sleeping on first op hip last night with pillow between legs and that was OK!

Thanks to @SurreyGirl and @wonkyhipoy posts, I think the walking with crutches but using them as one would hiking poles/walking sticks has really helped my walking come along. Have been on one crutch in the house as it feels like enough. I believe I'll be on walking poles sooner this time, if I keep up the walking. We'll see. The cane and I never got on very well. It always felts so wobbly.

This time around the importance of sleeping = healing has really been brought home to me, so am working hard to get to bed at a reasonable hour, and taking magnesium and melatonin at bedtime to help get me off to sleep. Also elevating and icing three times a day for 45 mins plus.

The only thing that is great about being a double hippy is being able to rectify the mistakes made last time around LOL:heehee:!!

Feeling a bit impatient and wanting to :fasthorse: but know that slow and steady wins the race!
 
21:26 here and in bed after a busy day which included a lunchtime walk. Using one crutch but only on the 8th stride so practising unaided now even though it was wet and blowy outside! Went well so gave me abit more confidence!

Glad to ha e been of some help. I think it is so important to get the gait right even if it means being on the crutch for longer. Also it is a hard habit to break using an aide as have been using a stick for two years prior to op.
 
Wow @SurreyGirl I somehow missed that you had been on a stick for two years prior to op. I hear you on the walking in the wind and wet. I'm really nervous of slipping this time around. Good for you for using the one crutch on only the 8th stride....that makes sense to try that...to stretch it out. I'm sure this comes from your musical background, and I see it from a rhythm and pace dressage background :heehee:! I'm going to give that a whirl, thank you again!!

You are right about the gait I'm sure. I believe it is key. It isn't about getting off the supports quickly, it is about getting the gait correct. I almost feel that the two crutches, used like hiking poles, are better for going out on, in terms of gait, than the one, in that I feel safe in lengthening my stride . I'm getting tempted to used the hiking poles inside, but not ready yet. Its a process for sure!

Its' only 2:04 PM here, but the sun is going over so I must get out and walk, as the frost has melted!

Sleep well! :sleep:
 
:hi:
Very early in the process, as you know, and all will be worth it in the end.

Thinking of you and hoping Today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:
 
:wave:@Mojo333 Hope you are having a good (and warm) day down south! It is frosty, frosty, frosty here, and I'm heading out with DH to go to my physio. The frost makes me nervous, but the parking lot at physio and the pathways are all flat, and normally are all salted. Pretty excited to see him today and what his assessment of things are thus far. Want to see what he thinks of my gait and the way I'm using my crutches etc. I have my list of questions for him! He is very patient man! :SUNsmile:

I will forever hold that great picture of you on the quad as my inspiration for healing!! Also keep this picture on my desk top to keep me motivated on those down days....

[Bonesmart.org] Celebrating one at a time, encore!
 
Good morning, @Alitm. Hope your morning physio appointment goes well, and that you get all of your questions answered and that he has positive things to say about your gait and overall progress. My therapist at PT this morning said I was doing great--gait is really good and I'm slowly (oh, how very slowly it seems to me) building my strength back up. I hope you were careful on the icy pavement walking around, it is very frosty and slippery in my neighborhood, too. Glad to read that you're sleeping well. I think we'd all agree that sleep is critical for healing, and the better your sleep gets, the better your recovery. That is probably the only good thing I can say about this pesky energy drain--I do sleep better when I'm really tired. And this busy month leading up to the holiday will mean lots of activity for me, which means fatigue but probably much better sleep. Here's to taking comfort in the small things! Cheers, and happy Tuesday.
 
Physio visit went well. He gave me some guidance as to how to work towards doing the golfer's reach off of first surgery hip, which will be twelve weeks on Friday. He said to go slow with developing the reach, and if anything hurts to stop. I'm not pushing it, but glad to have a general guide. Also addressed my first-op leg being not as strong as I'd liked going up stairs pre second surgery. He gave me a little exercise to do for that, and I can progress with height over time, to get it up to standard 8" height. This exercise won't disturb second op leg.

OS walk-only-to-six-week-mark and re-assess continues to be supported by phsyio, so most recent hip surgery can heal. We'll be able to work on first-op hip more at six weeks out, and it won't hurt or affect ROM outcome of first op-hip (we know this from BS) to continue with the walking for four more weeks :walking:. When I work first-op hip at that juncture, it will benefit the second-op side, with out overworking it.

The walking using crutches as hiking poles, and then going onto hiking poles, is apparently the best way to develop rhythm in gait, and helps forward and back range of motion. Physio knows the majority of my walking is not on tarmac, but on farm track and gravel, and so the smaller stabilizer soft tissue structures get more of a work out. He cautioned to take that into account when adding up activities each day.

OS and physio both seem to think that this surgery is healing faster than second surgery. Physio suggested I see him again in early January, when second surgery will be over the six week mark. Until then he also cautioned me to not "gamble" in the barn, as at some point I will lose... Also cautioned me to try and be further in the healing before hubby' hernia surgery in January, which requires slow and steady on my part.

Slow and steady wins the race :bored:. Home icing in recliner and napping on and off. Boring but more mobile mid week three !!! :fasthorse:
 
Last edited:
My therapist at PT this morning said I was doing great--gait is really good and I'm slowly (oh, how very slowly it seems to me) building my strength back up.
This is great news...your slow and methodical approach has paid off!! :yes!:

And this busy month leading up to the holiday will mean lots of activity for me, which means fatigue but probably much better sleep.
It is all about the balance isn't it!! :cheers:

Have you found your elliptical work to be a good alternative to walking? Our neighbour says he has a very basic elliptical, that I can borrow for a few months if I want, which might make sense over the winter. Not ready for it for another four weeks, so not going to think about it for now!! Would love your feedback though, when you have time!! :)

Hope you have had a productive day @Barbaraj. Gosh it is 2:32 PM and the sun is getting so low in the sky already! There is still frost on the ground where the sun doesn't hit it. Brr!! Have to get my walk to the barn in before the temps drop too low. It is getting hard to ice inside and stay warm!! :heehee:
 
Your PT visit sounds like it went well. His approach seems conservative yet, takes into account your total body. So many of them think we are just a giant hip with a head attached and that's it! How do you feel about waiting longer for hubby's surgery?
 
Just saw your question, @Alitm, and I'd say that absolutely the elliptical is a good piece of equipment for working on strengthen and endurance after you are released to do more than just walking. It's low impact, but provides a good range of motion and also some upper body work (at least the machines I use at the gym, a basic elliptical might not provide that). I think treadmills are good, too, for indoor walking but I find them boring, and I'm always worried about taking a false step and tripping. I have visions of my body flying off!

The elliptical seems safer to me, and I'm sure I've gotten used to it by now. Like anything, it can be overused (I'm convinced I trashed my hips with hour plus long workouts on a stair climber 5 to 6 days a week for the last ten years!) but it is great if outside it's wet and treacherous to talk. The ones at my gym have a tray for a book (I read my Kindle) or you can watch TV, and I plug in music on my iPhone and listen to that while I'm exercising--makes the time go by really quickly! But as with everything, it is all about finding out what works for YOU! I'm inching up the incline and resistance very slowly for my elliptical workout--definitely agree that slow and steady is the way to go.

Great report from your physio appointment, sounds like you're healing well and on your way to a full recovery!

PS Productive day involved wrapping a few gifts, loading up and running the dishwasher, finishing a Kindle novel and a few emails. What happened to the day?! Sun almost set now, and a beautiful pink to peach skyline out there. So pretty.
 
Physio knows the majority of my walking is not on tarmac, but on farm track and gravel, and so the smaller stabilizer soft tissue structures get more of a work out. He cautioned to take that into account when adding up activities each day.
Great reminder/advice for all new hippies. Love your PT.
It's true, that uneven ground...is tougher, I found that out walking about .
I think you are doing beautifully and I am happy you are excited about riding again...I was (different horsepower, of course)
At one point before surgery I was no longer able to put my leg across the wide seat and I could only ride for five minutes without being miserably uncomfortable.
It's going to get really Good.:ok:
Great plan you have there.
Wishing you a good day!:friends:
 
Happy midday, @Alitm. Betting it is still cold and gorgeous "up north" where you are--still fabulously sunny here, too, although chilly. Hope you are feeling better today, even a little upward tick is forward progress--feeling stronger and more stable on both hips, I'm thinking. You are going to be in great shape by the time spring rolls around. Oh, you do have your husband's surgery to get through, but 2019 should be a great year! Positive imaging of your wonderful future!
 
I started this post yesterday and never finished! Heaven help me :sos:

@Barbaraj Thanks for the elliptical feedback. I have used them before for extra riding fitness and stamina, but not for a long time. My OS suggested for six weeks post op fitness. I'll see what the neighbour's machine is like. I was going to yoga and pilates at the gym near us, up until early summer when things really went down hill. I like the total body work out of the elliptical, and also find the treadmill boring.
 
@Mojo333 I have a question for you....when you get on the quad, do you step through the front or swing your leg over? When my hips were on their way out, it was incredibly painful to swing my right behind me and over the saddle. Then when I got in the saddle, I couldn't relax my hips and thighs and let my leg relax down. Getting on my horse became out of the question. The pain was awful. My right hip feels so loose now, in comparison to what it felt like pre-surgery. I can't wait to be healed and be able to see what the ROM is just from the surgery on the right hip, and if I'll have to do any additional physio to relax and stretch the inner thigh muscles. It is really bad for a horse's spine to get on from the ground, so I've been getting on from the fence or a mounting block since the research suggested it would be better for the horse. I now get on almost at the height of the saddle, so the same as you getting on the quad....so was just wondering which way you got on, and if it was similar as getting on a horse, swinging your leg over vs. stepping through, how it felt post op and how long did it take you to get that swing over?
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom