THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Hi there @Alitm
I hope your doing well, sounds like your moving forward pretty fast. I am so happy for you. I will block off more time to engage in BS when my daughter leaves me in a puddle of tears on Thursday, but I will get some pictures of the new puppy posted as soon as I can after I pick her up.

Your tree is beautiful!
 
Uniformity is overrated, in my opinion.

I love your tree. It will be strong - as it has gone through the things live things do ...the things that shape them.
:roseshwr:
 
Aww, pretty tree and a warm welcome for visitors! It's nice that you can also enjoy it inside with the big window it's in front of.
Happy Thirty First Wedding Anniversary! Enjoy your lunch with hubs this afternoon.
And....Happy Three Month Anniversary for Righty....lots to celebrate today.
A great Friday to you!
@Alitm
 
Three months on right hip, four weeks on left...time for a little hip up date.

Right hip is doing well. Some tightness in hamstring in back of thigh from time to time when I've been doing more, so ice and having a massage with RMT on Monday. ROM is good both in forward and back strides, and ability to let knee "fall" out to the side. Knee to 90 degrees good as well. Just letting it continue on its healing journey!

Left hip doing well, but want it to hurry up already! :fasthorse:Trying to be patient. Some slight residual swelling at top of thigh, around wound and inside knee. No redness and it has mostly dissipated. There is some numbness on inside of knee, but has almost gone as the swelling has come down. More swelling post op this LTHR than on the RTHR. ROM coming along nicely for where I'm at. The knee "falling" out to the side is becoming looser and looser. Always was tighter on this side for riding, so lots of muscles to loosen and lengthen happening. Excited to see it coming along though, as my ROM with regard to opening my legs to get astride a horses was so not happening before the surgeries, and so very painful when I tried. It is amazing to feel the difference:dancy:.

The walking unaided came really fast this time on left hip, about a week or so ahead of right hip. However, if I push it without aids, the tops of both my thighs get really sore, more on left that right. My wonderful physio had said to call him with any questions between two week and six week visits, so spoke with him yesterday. He suggested that the walking around the house without any aids, and using the hiking poles outside for my barn walk are great, but if I was then going to go out and do an errand or two with hubby, that I needed to take the crutches, as I will tire and need more support at just four weeks out second-surgery. Suggested that the crutches take more weight bearing, even when using like hiking poles, and that the hiking poles and cane are more for balance, so more strain on the soft tissue structures. Thought I should be more flexible in what I use, and not think "well I'm on hiking poles now, so can't go back to crutches". I should use what my body needs. I need to be more thoughtful about this! :) :-) (:

My biggest "thing" with this left surgery is the tiredness, as there is a lot of healing going on. Trying not to forget about first hip still having healing going on. Really trying to refer to the visuals images of weekly healing, so I don't feel so pathetic about being tired! Our youngest son is off school for three weeks, so his whole schedule changes, and I'll be able to get to bed at a reasonable time for a few weeks at a stretch, so should really boost energy levels!

Eating has been different as well. Not a huge appetite for first couple of weeks, but boy, when my body wants protein, I am starving for it! It came in a three day wave early in late week two/week three. It was kind of crazy, but it was just before I started walking unaided. I feel another wave coming on as I'm doing more walking etc.

:ice: is definitely not as comfortable in December, as it was in September :heehee:.
Trying to enjoy being out in the holiday bustle, without over doing it! :good-bad:

Feeling the pressure to "be better" with hub's surgery coming up in January (soon). Still waiting for exact date. I know that the healing is coming along well, and I just need to continue to give my body what it needs, and things will continue to unfold.
All in all I'm feeling so :angel: blessed and thankful to have the gift of two new hips. I have NO OA pain!!! :yahoo:

Wishing all hippies a comfortable day/evening!

:santa sleigh:
 
Last edited:
“Suggested that the crutches take more weight bearing, even when using like hiking poles, and that the hiking poles and cane are more for balance, so more strain on the soft tissue structures. Thought I should be more flexible in what I use, and not think "well I'm on hiking poles now, so can't go back to crutches". I should use what my body needs. I need to be more thoughtful about this! :) :-) (:“

Exactly what my physio said too!
 
Hi @Alitm ! We visited Victoria, Butchart Gardens, including several lovely boat tours. Loved our stay there. I am also the shorty of the family at 5’6”. My hubby is tall, too, as is our daughter. My tall son has fun teasing his grandmother (my mom) who is only 5’2”. Hope you are also having a good day!
 
Hi @hiphoser, The Butchart Gardens are lovely!! We always take visitors there. We have been whale watching out of Victoria. We live about 50 mins north of that little city.

My Hubby and I both have short paternal Grandmothers...everyone else is tall. My father's brother got the short gene, amongst a family and extended family of tall folk. He was dubbed "Shorty", and we grew up calling him "Uncle Shorty"!!! Poor guy!! :heehee:

I had a "recovery day" today, from being out and about a wee bit too much the two previous days!! We are about to get high winds and nasty weather tonight, so I'm doing a late walk out to the barn to see the gal who has been helping with the horses (she is here to feed dinner) and thats it for me!! Hopefully I'll feel more energetic tomorrow!!
Hope you are having a pleasant evening :santawave:
 
When I read your post this emoji came to mind > :climb:
That was you in mid September, then right when you were making some head way.....you took a hit
(November 14th) which knocked you down to start all over again. Two major surgeries in as many months. Think about the trauma your body is trying to recover from. Considering that....you're doing well! Be patient, take it slow, sleep when you're able. You wil get there!
@Alitm
 
Aww @Layla, You are the best!! Did you see me lurking around the energy drain article earlier, trying to gauge the overlap in energy drain with the two hip surgeries?!!! :heehee: Yes, that emoji really says it all!! Today I did nothing but one walk out to the barn and have a shower!! I am already feeling the benefits of taking it really easy.

I can never thank you enough for the heel toe footfall instruction. Every time I'm walking and feel sore, I automatically think about how I am walking. Guaranteed, every time the soreness comes about, it is due to walking in an old walk pattern :headbang: ! Also, when I'm tired I revert to the old walk pattern. Being aware of all that has been a God send and a huge key to my successful recoveries.

Post op last surgery, I remember getting really grumpy around four weeks, as I was sick of being so dependent. I think @Jacey said things start to come along between four and six weeks, and found that to be true last time, so am remembering that now.

I feel pleased that I didn't have second surgery until nine weeks out from first surgery, as I was able to feel and see how well things were coming along at that stage, and have that feeling to look forward to now.
Wishing you a lovely weekend, and thank you as always :roseshwr:!
:treestar:
 
@Alitm yes, I commented on the changes I saw from week 4 to week 6. Post LTHR this was pretty significant. My right hip was just a steady progression.

Do give in to the energy drain. Fighting it will only make it worse. As you probably remember from your first surgery - this will ease with time.

Glad you are getting out to see your horses. Animals are such a comfort during recovery.
 
You're welcome Alitm.
I didn't see you lurking anywhere on the forum :heehee: I was responding to post 804 above.
The biggest thing I got out of my three PT sessions was heel-toe walking. After reading on BoneSmart
over and over again that we should use an assistive device until we were no longer limping, I specifically asked my PT how I could get rid of a residual limp as I wanted to ditch the cane. She demonstrated and then had me practice (heel-toe) walking up and down the hallway (as she guided and critiqued) and I was amazed! It works, but as you know it takes concentration. I had to remind myself constantly. Old habits die hard. I still get sloppy on occasion then start reciting heel-toe in my head to get back on track. It makes me feel more in control and also that I'm walker stronger, taller.
I hope you have a great day!
@Alitm
 
@Jaycey Yes, your comment about the changes between four and six weeks (plus remembering from last time around) were and are so helpful.....particularly when feeling frustrated about not being able to do more. I'm letting the energy drain and sore thigh muscles dictate the pace.....slow as molasses going up hill :bored:!! I am working on have structured walks, so I can get a better idea of what works and what is too much, but then little outings get thrown into the mix, and that is where :good-bad: the balance gets knocked off. Its a work in progress :heehee:. So nice to get out and do a few holiday errands though :-)

Wishing you and your family, two legged and four, the very best for the holiday season!
:dancing:
 
Hey, good morning, @Alitm. I got home from our power shopping marathon on Friday, and that night was family game night followed by yesterday's annual holiday event (local community theatre production, "Twist of the Magi", a humorous retelling of the "Gift of the Magi" in the form of a 40's radio broadcast), followed by dinner at a local restaurant. All of our kids, plus our son-in-law, were able to come, and we had a great time. I confess I am pretty exhausted this morning--life feels relentlessly crazy these days, rushing around so much, but today I intended to be a bum until I realized I haven't been to the gym in several days nor done my PT exercises and, oh, I need to get ingredients for an appetizer for a holiday party we're hosting this week (WHY?!!) and I also need to get two books as white elephant gifts for an exchange. Argh! But hips are actually feeling pretty good. I hiked all over Portland with my list in hand, so did get in a fair amount of walking/exercise. It was my back that was aching a bit, but I slept well and we did get most of our shopping done. I still have a few things I need to get, but feeling "over the hump" in terms of checking most items off my list.

Sounds like you're continuing to do well, slowly and cautiously moving forward. It is a busy time of year for most folks, and recovering hippies (or double hippies in your case) probably feel the pressure a little more than usual. I love your holiday tree--bright and festive, and I'm sure guests driving up, or just you returning from errands, are smiling at the cheerful lights. I think the key for you must be to monitor how you're feeling regularly, and be resolute in your determination to rest when you're tired and not overdo things. With your husband's surgery coming up, you'll want to be strong and recovered enough so that it won't create real problems for you. One day at a time, focus and be deliberate about your energy expenditure.

Have a great Sunday.
 
Hi @Barbaraj Sounds like a great trip to Portland. I was thinking of you driving and wondering if you got caught up in the deluge of rain we've had. Sounds like a wonderful weekend of holiday magic...:santaclap:. I am so looking forward to the holiday activities next year, but this year is still a healing time for me! I will live vicariously through you :santawave:.

I need to get ingredients for an appetizer for a holiday party we're hosting this week (WHY?!!)
Because it is fun.....enjoy!!! :dancing:

As you know I was out and about for a couple of days mid-week. It completely drained my energy reserves and my hip flexors complained a lot. Spoke to my physio, who offered that I shouldn't be "stuck" in using one kind of aid over another, but to use or not use what the two healing hips need at any given time. Makes sense to me! I have really chilled out the last couple of days, have craved a lot of protein and have napped a lot, so major healing going on. I have a massage tomorrow and can't wait!!! My hips feel great and my ROM continues to slowly improve! It is all good. Continuing to pace myself is the patience challenge :bored:!!

Hope you find some time for a few little legs-up interludes in between things!! In the meantime, gulp those lattes!!! :candle:
Have a great day :reindeerlights:
 
Yawn...good morning, @Alitm. I am moving very slowly this morning, and hoping that as the morning progresses I will wake up and get busy. This time of year is tough anyway, with always too much to do (or so it seems--maybe I am just getting old and crabby) but with a recovering hip, even though it's doing splendidly for the most part, it seems like I'm definitely more tired this year. Morning latte isn't fully drunk yet, but I hold out great hope that once that caffeine kicks in, the day will look more promising. Glad to read you feel you're continuing to do well, pushing forward with recovery for both hips but being sensible and resting up when needed. I should have done more of that yesterday. Maybe today I will put that heating pad on, and just devote time to list making. But I do need to go to the grocery store today--nothing in the pantry for dinner tonight. I want a fulltime cook for Christmas! Waah!
 
Last edited:
@Barbaraj Good Morning! It must be something in our neck of the woods in the tiredness department. I felt more energized yesterday so made two loaves of banana bread, and put together our tiny fake tree for inside. Managed to get some lights on it and that was that. Will decorate it today. Have to dig out the miniature wooden ornaments. I purchased a few poinsettias to boost the house decos....and thats it for me!

My main complaint are my hip flexors in both legs. They were better yesterday, so I moved around more, and they are sore again this AM. I have been side sleeping on my first op side (which is so great after the wretched back sleeping), with my trusty pillow between my legs. I think the side sleeping makes me more sore in the AM's though!! I'm icing up right now, then taking a hot shower and then hubby is taking me to the massage therapist. She is excellent and I look forward to what she has to say about everything. That will be my big outing for the day.

The sun is trying to come out here, but I see that we have more frontal systems coming in off the Pacific this week!! Yuck!

Hope you are taking a rest day today before the rest the week is upon you!!

:treestar:
 
Last edited:
Awww, @Alitm--what a pretty Christmas tree emoji! Feeling a wee bit better, probably because I managed to make a shopping list finally. Haven't made it to the store but thinking positive thoughts about this afternoon! Have a great day.
 
Hope your outing didn't wipe you out too much.
Love me some banana bread...zucchini bread too...well actually bread in general !:heehee:

Hard to believe it has only been a month...do take care friend!:friends:
 
Wow, @Alitm, I suspect it's equally miserable up in your neck of the woods--it's a dreary solid sheet of rain out there, and very windy. It's going to be a dreary day, that's for sure. It's a good day for hunkering down. It's so dark outside that you can turn on those outdoor holiday lights and enjoy them from inside, curled up with a good book or magazine, and glass or mug of your favorite beverage. Enjoy!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom