THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

I hope the cabin fever doesn't get you down.:sigh:
You have been a great new hippy so far..the last months have been Recovery Central.
Well worth it...you are going to be so happy with new hips!:happyfeet:
 
@Alitm rain and cold is a drag, but couldn’t have better weather for resting and recovering, it would be too tempting to go out if it was sunny and warm, keeping the first few weeks slow and easy will make things go quicker in the long run. So glad your doing well. Hang in there.

Have not had injection yet, waiting for them to call with a procedure date. Hopefully they can do this before the end of the year, as I have met my deductible and out of pocket, and all the insurance blah blah blah. Hubby gets MRI on other shoulder tomorrow, he also has carpel tunnel going on with his recently repaired arm. Not sure what the doc is going to fix first on him. Poor guy. Daughter suppose to arrive Sunday-ish, she is driving up from Arizona, weather looks iffy, may take her till Monday to get here.
Cheers
 
Oh boy @Alitm I do so hope you are careful with that ice/snow. I'm sorry you are feeling a bit of the cabin fever but it wll all be worth it (I know that you know that). The one thing that hit me again today was that things can change so quickly and I need to learn to go with the flow (you'd think I'd have that down pat by now - apparently, I'm a slow learner). As you so succinctly said, a good night's sleep does wonders. You are so spot on there. I get so frustrated when I seem to be going along so well on that and then wham, I have a night where sleep seems impossible (and yes, I feel the effects of that the next day). Have you learned any new sleeping tricks/techniques this time around? Do you find that your first hip gets sore by the end of the day?

You are now one day shy of your two week hip-er-versary. Do you remember how you felt the first time around at this point? Have you gone back to reread your notes from that time period? Just think, a year from now, it will all be just a faint memory . . .

Wishing you well on this Thursday - hope you are resting, healing and resting some more!

NanaKP (Kim)
 
Hiya @Lmflora Yes, the weather is keeping me out of trouble! I'm adding a couple smaller walks in the house as I enter week three tomorrow, and have gone back to my core and upper body little physio exercises to keep me entertained!! LOL!! I have been SO well behaved in the ODI department...thus far :spin:! I see the phsyio next week, so will get as much info on what I can do for my right leg, core, upper body, while letting poor left hippy heal!

Fingers crossed that you get that injection soonest, to get in on the insurance, and to make your first ride even better :-). Good news on hubby's MRI tomorrow on other shoulder, bringing that to a closer resolution......but not such good news on the carpel tunnel going on with his recently repaired shoulder. He must be very frustrated by that. I quickly looked at CTS on-line as I couldn't remember exactly where it begins nerve wise. It's origin isn't in the shoulder....so is that another surgery :flabber: for poor hubby? Sending positive vibes for an easy resolution on that....particularly with a second shoulder surgery looming. No fun having to do an analysis on which to do first. Wishing your daughter a very safe drive home.

Hubby is out at his surgeon visit for his hernia....anxiously waiting to hear how that goes...and timing etc.

My cousins, who I grew up with and have visited us here two years ago for New Years, are in town, and will come and visit on Sunday morning. Can't wait to see them. Normally they'd stay with us, but can't deal with playing hostess right now. They will be back for a fun visit next year. Another riding friend popped by with some lovely paper whites late yesterday. Cheery stuff to boost bad weather blues!!

Keep us posted on your injection and hubby's situation.

Cheers :)
 
Happy two week tomorrow! It is hard when the weather is dreary, but think sunny thoughts and think how much better 2019 will be than 2018!
 
Hi @Alitm
It's been grey, wet and windy here too. So at least I don't mind the enforced rest while the weather is like this.
I know what you mean about the slippery surfaces. I have to face those tomorrow when the practice nurse checks on the wound. I have dissolving stitches in so by next week there should be little left for her to take out.

You definitely don't want to be a member of the ODIC and neither do I. Slow and steady is much wiser.
 
Happy midday, @Alitm. Just got back from PT and a bit of grocery shopping and checking in. Sounds like things are going so great for you, but then you must be any OS's dream patient. You are smart, sensible and you follow directions--wahoo! No wonder you've had good surgery outcomes with both hips. Like I've commented on other posts, it is so great to read about a relatively smooth, steady recovery!

Weather a bit better this morning. It was a soggy mess for a good chunk of yesterday afternoon and evening, particularly frustrating as we had to drive downtown and the traffic was just crawling along the freeway, with windshield wipers monotonously and continuously swishing away! It's not great looking out there but I am hoping maybe just clouds today. Have a good day, and stay the slow and steady course.
 
Hi @NanaKP,

The snow hasn't shown up yet, and we've had tons of rain, but my rhodo that blooms late fall, always blooms right before it snows, and it is blooming now! Temps are dropping tomorrow, so it is coming. I'll be OK with the cabin fever. This time last hip I was knocking on the ODIC door, and by tomorrow was on the dance floor!!! :rotfl: Hubby's surgery is in early to mid January (he just got home from seeing his OS...they will call with a date...the later the better for me), so I need to give my body as much of a chance to heal now, as it will be money in the bank for January. Had a friend surprise me with a visit late afternoon yesterday, and she brought some lovely paper whites too. Last night I got a phone call from my cousins, who will be in my area this weekend, and are coming to visit on Sunday morning...so that really helps :-)

The sleep thing :mcoffee:......so after a great night's sleep two nights ago, I was :bored: at 1:45 AM last night. I do the magnesium and chamomile tea at bed time, no caffeine after mid-day and, when desperate, also take melatonin. The one thing that seems to be a constant in terms of if I can go to sleep or not, is what time I go to bed. My body likes to be in bed between 9:30 PM and 10:15 PM at the latest. Our youngest son has sports after school, then work, and gets home late, usually around 10 PM, sometimes a bit later. Hubby was really tired and went to bed, so I stayed up in the recliner so I could visit with my son while he has a snack. By the time I got into bed last night, it was about 11:30 and I was WIDE awake! UGH! I really need to get to bed by ten, otherwise I go into overdrive and can't sleep. I am still taking Tramacet (35 mg tramado with 325mgs Tylenonl) at bedtime, but that didn't cut it either. Ended up taking the melatonin around 2 AM and was up again for meds at 3 AM. Feeling blah today from the lack of sleep. It is such a pain, but going with the flow is the best approach....but when we have to get back to life, it is really tough to perform the next day.

In answer to the question re: first hip fatigue/soreness....sometimes it gets fatigued, depending on what I've done....I've been really good so far, so it is more fatigue than discomfort...hard to describe. It is at eleven weeks tomorrow. I feel like it is taking up the slack for hip two, and expected some fatigue. I'm doing this funky thing with my crutches. I can walk with one crutch in the mornings, but as I get tired, need to do the two later, and it seems so stilted and not good for stride. Because I went to the hiking poles pretty quickly last time, I've tried using the crutches like hiking poles. It is pretty cool, as it gives each hip support, feels great and as importantly, my gait is really good! If my just-replaced-hip gets tired, I go back to the normal crutch use pattern to support it. My OS was good with me using the crutches like hiking poles, if I feel it gives me enough support. I see my physio on Tuesday, so will see what he has to say.

Hoping you find what works best for you sleep wise...it is a nuisance, as we so need it for healing. Are you running around at work like a mad woman or are you trying hard to behave? How is first hip holding up with second surgery, and how is your just operated hip holding up? What walking devices are you using?

Wishing you a good afternoon and restful evening Kim:)
 
:wave:@Barbaraj Yes, just grey here today it seems. Hubby has been out all morning at surgeon's appointment, and errands. Looks like his surgery will be early to mid January, and his OS says four to six weeks recovery, but my experience is 8 weeks with abdo surgery.

How was PT today? Feeling stronger? I see my physio on Tuesday, so will be interested to see what he wants me to do for right leg....as I'll be heading into week 12 with that side. Sticking with the walking only approach for just starting-to-heal lefty. Also want to continue on with upper body and abs. Will be good to formulate a plan.

This time last hip, I was on the dance floor at the ODIC! Not exactly an OS's dream :rotfl:, although you are so kind to say that :loveshwr:. I would think you are pretty darn high on the OS success list yourself :). I am really motivated to take as good care as possible this time, not even a mini-trip to the door of the ODIC if I can help it, as I need to be in good shape for hubby's surgery in January.....and life awaits after that. The only positive thing is about my energizer-bunny husband having to have surgery is that he will be recovering when he wants to start walking out again, and won't run me off my feet....we will be at the same pace!! We'll need to hike on flat trails to begin with. I'm so excited to be able to hike with him again :roseshwr:

I have a visitor tomorrow, and then have cousins popping by to visit on Sunday morning, as they will be in the area. One still lives in Bda and the other in Whistler. BC. Really looking forward to that! Normally the cousins would stay with us, but that will have to wait until their next trip.

How are your Christmas preparations coming along...are you starting in now, or waiting until later? Your drive in the deluge yesterday didn't sound like much fun :sad:. I'm letting my lap top do the walking! How is your op hip doing? Holding up well?
Enjoy the rest of your day :flwrysmile:
 
@Alitm - I am so very impressed with your advances already! Walking with one crutch already is amazing! Just remember, that ODIC gremlin likes to hide then jump out and take us by surprise when we least expect it. I think your hips are going to be able to hop, skip and jump when your hubby is ready to start hiking with you. Speaking of, I do so hope you are feeling near 100% by the time his surgery rolls around. I think the two of you deserve a most wonderful vacation somewhere lovely when he's fully recovered.

I really get myself in a pickle thinking I am feeling well enough to tackle these crafting/sewing/quilting projects then when I am too tired to continue (finish), I get frustrated and find myself in a puddle of tears. What the heck, I never used to cry so easily? For now I shall try to focus on writing out Christmas cards with apologies to my immediate family members for no handmade aprons, wallhangings or cute pillows this year. My gift giving shall have to be that which is done via laptop and Amazon.

My left hip does pretty well early in the day (both hips actually do well) and I am able to ramble around without any walking aids. I find that after 4 or 5 trips up and down the stairs though, I am tired out. I have been taking two crutches to work though I can manage fine with one (I don't want to chance any falls in the back of the shop though - automotive repair with plenty of fluids dripped means my husband is constantly washing up the spills for me but that also means wet flooring!) Today I stayed home all day and napped a hefty portion of the afternoon away. I am watching our forecast for next week calling for snow and much colder temperatures. I guess that means I either stay home or force myself to put long pants on (my incision on the new hip is VERRRRY sore to the touch, I have zero numbness on that leg).

Oh the struggles sometimes. I hope you get to bed in a timely manner tonight and also get a full night of sleep.
 
Hiya @NanaKP, I was in bed and reading by 11 PM, took Melatonin and slept really well. Feeling perkier than my blah day yesterday. I have a friend coming to visit today, so heading to take a shower in a bit. That will tire me somewhat but will feel so good. I'm averaging a shower every other day at the moment, only because of the energy drain! So pathetic! Need to check back and see how long that went on for last time!! We are expecting a week of sun, starting tomorrow, but cold, so will be frosty in the AM's, but makes for perfect walking weather once the sun melts off any frost. I am so excited to be able to get out for a few days in a row !!! I've been an model, well behaved patient now for two whole weeks, unbelievable :heehee:.

I really get myself in a pickle thinking I am feeling well enough to tackle these crafting/sewing/quilting projects then when I am too tired to continue (finish), I get frustrated and find myself in a puddle of tears. What the heck, I never used to cry so easily? For now I shall try to focus on writing out Christmas cards with apologies to my immediate family members for no handmade aprons, wallhangings or cute pillows this year.
.
I bet your immediately family totally understands not getting handmade gifts this year, and your "gift of giving" goes all year around to them and others anyway :loveshwr:. They will treasure all the lovely gifts you have already made them, and will look forward to next year when you will be 100% and able to make all the lovely gifts again :yes:As a mum, wife, daughter, friend etc., we never feel we can do enough for our kids, Hubby, family, but this year you really need to let go of that!!
Our bodies have been through so much and are busy healing. I don't think that feeling emotional in any way is anything but normal for now!

I find that after 4 or 5 trips up and down the stairs though, I am tired out.
. We have stairs down to a little suite, and a huge storage basement...where all my Christmas decorations and wrapping paper is located! I brought up my two Christmas wreaths that I hang on my front and back doors, and put them in our coat closet pre-surgery, so I can put them up tomorrow without having to bug my husband to get them for me. I can't imagine trying to do 4 to 5 trips up and down stairs!!! I bow down to your ability to do these!!! I find stepping up my two back door steps to be enough for me :rotfl:. Going up has always been hard for first surgery leg, who has been so strong in all other ways, but this going up stairs must be muscles I don't use in the barn :what:. I will address that with physio next week. Going down is fine. I went up and down back door steps this AM, and that was better than on Tuesday when I went out to my check up, so an improvement, yay!

Our hay bay floor (open at the front and we put huge tarps over our hay) and our car port (it is so mild here in the winter, we don't need a garage) have shop finishes, and when they gets damp or wet, it is treacherous. Please be careful at work, as I imagine the floor finish in your work areas are the same "shop" finish as what we have.
Hope your day is going well, and that you managed some sleep last night :flwrysmile:

P.S. I got some breathable bandages from the pharmacist (she showed me what to look for) to cover my steri-strips and wound, so my pants wouldn't rub so much. I'm wearing really baggy old jeans, but find yoga pants with more cotton in them (breathable) also comfortable. Also pencil jeans with lots of give are comfy....but only after the swelling goes down a bit more. Pharmacist also guided me to waterproof bandages to cover the steri-strips when I shower. Found these really helpful.
 
Last edited:
@Alitm It's amazing what a good night of rest can do for you! You sound like you are in great spirits today.

Ugghhhh I feel you on that whole pants incision thing. I was advised last week to keep my incision uncovered. I never realized that every pair of pants I own except my yoga pants have the most annoying side seam right where my incision is. Oy Vey. So yoga pants and dresses it shall be until this wound is completely healed.

I hope you enjoy the sunshine that's coming your way :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @SwampHiker I wish I could just wear a flouncy skirt...but it is a little too chilly for that here. So much better to let the air around the wound though. OS Oked me wearing the breathable bandage while the steri-strips were on, to keep them in place and the incision closed. After the strips came off last time, I nixed the bandage. The baggy jeans (size too large ), are really soft, and the side seams are ok in those, I think as they are so loose. Also have a pair of summery pants that are linen or the like and are very loose and cool. They worked well in September. Soon enough the incision won't be so sensitive, but it seems like forever to get there! :bored:

Have a great evening!
 
Hi @EL11 Good luck with wearing heels....report back on how it went, if you have time. I started wearing hiking boots and LL Bean insulated comfort mocs in the barn around 6 - 7 weeks, post op through to my nine week second surgery. I went to parent teacher conferences, later in the day (when I'm always more tired) around six weeks, in new loafers made by Clarke's, with a very slight heel. We had a lot of walking from building to building, and stairs, and I was on hiking poles at that point. I remember thinking when I got home that it was too soon for those tiny flat heels. It might have been more about the walking than the shoe.

For you, I like @Layla's back up plan of flats, just in case?

I also got rid of my high wear shoes. I read the same info about that as @lovesstars did. I used to heel pronate and wear the outside of my shoe heels. The wear got worse as my hips went down hill. I looked at the cost of taking the shoes to the cobbler, vs. replacing, and it was less expensive to replace! I've worked hard on the heel toe walking starting at first surgery, as my old pattern was hurting my knee. My knee pain resolved on first surgery leg.

Did you find that your second hip recovery went faster than the first? I seem to be ahead of the game this time around on dropping the heavy meds and getting on to Tylenol, and getting of the walker sooner....but I'm really tired! Looking back at this juncture on first hip, I was really tired too, but I had overdone it for three days in a row, and put it down to that...I feel almost equally tired this time around, same juncture, but haven't over done it at all. I'm putting it down to having two major surgeries nine weeks a part. Any comments or advice are welcome! When did you find your energy started to perk up?
Wishing you a lovely weekend :flwrysmile:
 
I think the clue is in that last sentence re Energy Drain. Delighted the recovery is going so well 2nd time around. I am looking at getting my shoes reheeled. I have very narrow feet so shoes are very expensive for me so probably worth doings thanks for the reminder!
 
After a few weeks I learnt the technique of “normal” walking using the crutches where the crutch would move with the opposite leg starting off on the “good” leg. As I am hopelessly uncoordinated I had to think, “left crutch forward and right leg move” each time when starting. Occasionally I would get confused and have to stop and think. Now it comes naturally and it helped when I moved to one crutch.
I was just looking through old posts hip one and found this helpful hint. I started doing this "normal walking" with crutches quite quickly this second surgery. It seemed vaguely familiar to me, but I couldn't remember for the life of me where I had got the idea from....and it was YOU! Somehow it stuck with me, through another round of Dilauded and Tramacet! Thank you for that! Hope you are having a lovely weekend!
 
I wound up not going to that event! However, I auditioned the Eccos at home and they felt OK. So another time. Yes, @Layla’a advice about bringing flats is good. A few years back I went to the Grammys and wore very high heels, Stuart Weitzman I think? I brought fold-up patent leather shoes in my beaded clutch bag. I couldn’t wait to change into them after the first leg of the experience. Those shoes cost an arm and a leg, yes I’m using the word “leg” again :D ... and I only used them one other time. Never again, that’s for sure.

@Alitm Re which took longer, I had more pain the second time and was on opioids longer. My energy level has bumped up just recently, partly because I am sleeping through the night or just waking up once.
 
@EL11 Sleep really is the key to healing isn’t it! :sleep: I’m taking 3 mgs melatonin at bedtime. I’m off the Tramacet completely now, but taking a full complement of Tylenol. In retreading my thread I backed off the Tylenol a little too soon last time. Really helpful to look back. You also gave me a ton of advice after first surgery and I am most grateful for that as well! Thank you :roseshwr:!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom