THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Happy Monday to you @NanaKP! I am having a good start to the week thank you:) I had a really good sleep last night, while the swelling in my legs improved overnight just with the slight extra elevation. The swelling was my biggest source of discomfort, and I really want to get off the tramacet and onto Tylenol. Who knows what the leg will look like at the end of today, but I finally found what makes the swelling budge! The recliner elevation and ice wasn't enough. I'm still icing up a storm during the day in the recliner, and trying for an hour in the afternoon on my bed with the elevation pillow.

It must be lovely where you are today. We are still under weather watch with excessive rain and wind. Our daughter is here for two nights :). She and hubby are heading out to do some shopping in a bit. Tomorrow is my big debut into the real world again, weather or not! Will be glad to have the space to walk, although it will be the most walking I have done so far!

How are you doing with your rehab...slow and steady still, or are you having breakthrough bursts? So hard to contain oneself once feeling better :happydance:! I hear you on the long pants and the rubbing. Last surgery I put on my softest baggiest jeans to start with (have to wear long pants in the barn), after I graduated from loose PJ bottoms! For going out, once the swelling subsided, I started wearing pencil jeans with some elastic, as they didn't seemed to rub. I lived in Bermuda :SUNsmile: for 52 years, so am a shorts girl at heart too!! :wink:
Will pop by your thread to see how you are doing. Wishing you a great day and patience in your recovery :flwrysmile:

Alison.
 
Wow, @Alitm, I hope you are feeling encouraged--one week down already, and into your second week. Good to read you're getting reasonably good sleep, I know that is important for healing (and one's mental health). I felt fortunate that I slept pretty well in bed from the beginning of my return home from the hospital. I suspect at least initially the drugs helped with that, but even after I ditched the Tramadol I usually managed around 7 hours a night, and seldom woke up feeling less than rested. It's a nasty day out there so indoor walking is definitely appropriate today. And good luck with the check-in visit tomorrow, with staples out (feel lucky I didn't get that--must have been some combo, perhaps, of internal stitches plus glue), and I hope some compliments from the doctor and his staff at how well you're doing. And boo, hiss to that swelling, may it subside soon.
 
@Barbaraj Thanks for your note! I have a handle on the swelling now, and that is super encouraging. The swelling was causing the discomfort, and now I can manage it better with the extra elevation at night, I am able to begin cutting back on the Tramadol (it makes me feel so gross...but helps with pain for sure!), but will stick with a full complement of Tylenol as I build my walking. I would say that today is definitely a healthy shift day, physically and psychologically! I'm actually able to start thinking really forward now, with second surgery behind me and the swelling in hand. :happydance:.
 
Good morning, @Alitm. Hope this posting finds you up and feeling good. I truly hope that swelling starts going down soon, and with the extra elevation at night you'll be able to cut back on the Tramadol. I agree that I hated that "druggy" feeling that accompanies all narcotic medication, but if needed for pain it is essential. Encouraged to read your posting that you feel as if you've turned a corner, both physically and mentally, always a positive sign. I hope by Christmas you'll be up and moving much more and able to enjoy the holiday season. Plus, with this recent hip surgery you'll be able to take it easier and, I hope, let others step up (isn't that why we had children?!!) to do some of the inevitable work associated with holiday cheer. It is another miserable day out there here in my neck of the woods, although a few hints of blue sky. Yesterday I swear it rained from dawn to dusk, so the fact that here is no rain here at the moment is a much happier start to the day for me. PT got canceled due to therapist being sick, so guess I'll have to schlep to the gym this morning for my exercise. Have a good day!
 
:wave:Just back from staples out and check with surgeon at ortho clinic. The x-ray requisition got lost in cyber space. When I checked in at the front desk they said, "No x-ray has been ordered" and when I went to the ortho clinic, OS wanted to know where the x-ray was! Anyhow, staples out (didn't bother to count them this time), nurse was really happy with wound. Looked at my old one too. Said to aim to keep the steri strips on for a week. Keep them on longer if they stay, but if they itch and cause a rash by a week from now, take them off. I had itchy issues with strips first surgery. If the itching and rash start sooner, take off the ones that bother me and use regular band aids as a steri strip of sorts, to help hold edges together. Hopefully they will stay of for a week and not itch prior to that. Headed back down to x-ray and got set up, and the machine doesn't work!!! LOL!! I felt so sorry for the x-ray techs, as this machine had just been serviced, and they've had a real back log, due to it being out last week. Had the same tech I had last time. It was like old home week! It was good to be pushed to do some extra walking inside, and it gave me a better idea of where I am right now....its all good :)

Met a lovely lady in x-ray, who had THR in 2017 summer, and had a sneaky infection which took a long time to be diagnosed. All her numbers were low, aspirations wouldn't grow anything, no fever, but she continued to have pain. She saw my cushion (I thing we purchase from the same shop in town here!), and started chatting with me. It took a year to find the infection. Finally they managed to grow something (a very slow growing bug apparently) and she had a spacer put in this year, antibiotics with a pic line etc. She was in for a final aspiration today, and will know if it is clear (last one was) in fourteen days. All being well, she will have the full revision again in January. I was so impressed by her bubbly demeanour and her "smile from within" smile, despite the adversity, and it made me think of all the very brave folk here who have gone/are going through so much with infection, and loose prosthesis etc. Meeting someone in person, who is going through this, was a real reality check. She thought I was brave to have two hips done....on the contrary I said, I'd do that any day compared to dealing with infection. She was lovely and I hope to bump into her again. It is a small town, so entirely possible!

OS was really pleased with progress. It boggles my mind how fast things are unfolding in the last couple of days, since the swelling has come down...still not 100%, but much better. I'm using the crutches like hiking sticks, OS says thats fine. Gives both legs support that way. I don't feel ready for hiking sticks yet or two canes. Not enough base. Surgeon feels things will come along quickly for me, and I'll be off walking aids by four weeks post op. I'm not adhering to any time lines though, just listening to my body. Not making the same ODIC visit that I made at the end of week 2 last time or planning any other visits if I can help it! I have appointment with my physio next week, and will see what he has to say about everything. Surgeon cautioned me to adhere to the 90 degrees for three months post op for each leg. He says after that I should be able to get back on the horse at 12 weeks both second surgery! I feel there is more fitness to be done before riding, but will work with physio on that, giving all the soft tissue all the time it needs to heal. Not rushing this gift! Didn't get to see my bionic x-ray, but OS said he'll be in touch today if he sees anything to be concerned about. He says he didn't anticipate that there would be any issues, but I'll be holding my breath for the day! Will ask his office if I can get a copy eventually.

We talked about surgery date for hubby with my OS. OS suggested we give ourselves another month. On the drive home, Hubby said he wanted to wait until January, as our daughter has three weeks off and will be staying with us. I'm feeling a little less anxious about that, all the more reason to just walk and rest. Hubby sees his OS on Thursday.

Stopped to drop off chocolates to the lovely nurses who supported and aided my quick release from hospital both times. They were just about to discuss cases, so good timing. They'll all be on a sugar high this AM!! :dancy:

Tapering off the Tramacet and replacing with Tylenol over the week. So far so good and feeling comfortable pain wise. The extra elevation once a day and at night is doing the trick for the swelling. It was just a little different tweak needed that I didn't have to do last time, each hip is different. Remembering to ice poor righty, and giving her some love. She got a bit lost in the blur of lefty's first week.

Feeling inspired. Pretty much the same as last time, plus an extra healing hip! The healing is amazing if we give it time to happen. I continue to be in awe of that!:yes!:

Can drive once off the narcotics and feel strong with right leg to be able to do the emergency stop. OS mentioned something interesting. Hopefully I'll get it right, but something to do with the abduction exercises. He said to do those standing to begin with as that is easiest. They are important, as the muscles this exercise targets work with conjunction with a muscle on the other hip. Of course don't do them if they hurt, and just do in moderation. I'll have to ask my physio about what the OS was talking about.

Sunny and breezy here today, after several days of heavy rain and gloom. The local rivers are full and our pond is filling up after the summer drought. A walk outside is order for this afternoon, after things dry up a bit. We are forecasted to have a warmer winter this year, with below average precipitation I read this AM. All good for walking healing hips :happydance:.
Wishing a comfortable, healing day to all hippies :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
Wonderful update. Thanks for sharing!
You're doing so well, you're blessed....two amazing recoveries.
May it only get better! :SUNsmile:
@Alitm
 
:wave:@Barbaraj, I think we had the same weather front as you. I posted above about the rivers and our pond being full. Lots of low lying flooding too. Sun is out today here too and it is breezy, so hoping for some drying up outside and a walk to the barn this PM. So great to see the :SUNsmile:.

I've been on the crutches, but even walking with them the traditional way felt cumbersome. Tried using them like hiking poles, and that feels really good. OS was fine with that.

Yes, much more clear headed, and I've taken over the meds again, so can drop the tramacet as I feel. Last time the pharmacist said to drop the daytime tramacet cold turkey but continue with the night as per the OS suggestion for a bit longer. She said if I felt at all odd, to have a half on that day, as see if that helps. I've cut back to on tramacet (35 tramadol mgs and 325 mg tylenol combined in one pill) with one regular strength Tylenol (325mgs) as soon as the swelling got sorted out a couple of days ago. Am dropping one day time tramacet today. I'm going to continue to drop one a day (replacing with Tylenol), until I'm just taking one tramacet at bedtime and one in the middle of the night...then I'll switch those to Tylenol. Last time, once I felt comfortable on Tylenol around the clock, I tried dropping the 3 AM dose of that. Once I'm on only Tylenol I'll make sure I'm taking 4,000 mgs of it though as I ramp up my walking etc. That seemed to work well last time.

Bummer about the PT being sick...but you don't need to catch any bugs! Hope you made it to the gym instead.

Christmas is going to be very low key with just DH, youngest son and me here. That and hubby not wanting to do surgery until January takes a ton of pressure off me! Phew!

Have a great day and thanks as always for checking in :SUNsmile: I always look forward to your "visit" :).
 
Last edited:
@Layla, I am feeling very very blessed...and even more so by the end of the day when I know my x-ray is fine. I'm such a worry wort! :dubious:.

I said another set of prayers of thanks, as well as a blanket prayer for all who are suffering, when I met that lovely woman today in x-ray. She has been through so much and yet is effusing positivity and kindness...mind blowing! :angel:
 
@Alitm What a fantastic update. You sound nice and chipper today. It really does put things in perspective when you meet someone who's gone through a far worse experience. I hope you get out for your walk this afternoon. I just finished a little retail therapy and am happily icing and elevating with the window upon. It's a chilly 65 here today brrrrr, but the house could use some fresh air.
 
@SwampHiker Things started to pick up about this time post op last hip, and then I promptly over did it once I got onto the crutches and could be more mobile. This time I'm not going there! I don't advise two hip surgeries to get it right, but the previous experience sure helps :) . I found week three brought a bigger improvement, and then after every week had something good to offer in terms of healing.

Yes, the woman I met today...the timing was amazing....and her personal strength and demeanour were unbelievable. My hubby hasn't read about the infections like I have, and he was so shocked by her story, and amazed that she was still smiling. It was also kinda cool, as one hippy recognizes another hippy with the portable raised cushions and crutches (or whatever hippy kit we have with us at the time)...which we both had. She just looked at me after I sat down, smiled and pointed to her raised cushion, and I asked, "Hip?" and we were off, chatting away! I just wish she had been there for a post op hip x-ray, not an aspiration.

The rain has returned, but tomorrow looks like an outdoor walk possibility. At least I got out today. My sister is in southern FL and says it is going to be cold there tonight. It isn't too cold here...just gloomy with the rain and the shorter days. When the sun comes out it is even more appreciated at this time of year. November is the worst and the rainiest month. Christmas dominates December, although we are going low key this year. By end of January the days get longer, the snowdrops are up, February brings crocuses and, late in the month, daffodils coming up. The Rhododendrons look ready to burst. We are planting zone 8a...so quite temperate.

Good for you on your retail therapy! Always helpful isn't it :heehee:
 
Hi there @Alitm, how are you? Looks like you got this figured out from your thread. How wonderful. A low keyed Christmas is a great plan. Having time with your kids, horses, hubby, and lots of ice and REST should have you on your pathway to tacking up. I don’t know how it was for you, but for me stopping the tramadol made me feel,like a new person. I hope you get the same relief. It’s necessary for pain, but it did make me feel icky.
Cheers
 
Hiya @Lmflora, yes I'm on my way! I almost need to pinch myself to realize that a) I am actually through both surgeries and b) all the recovery and rehab now is directly related to getting back to my active lifestyle, and that is amazing. Will be glad to be completely off the Tramacet. It is necessary for pain for sure. My taste buds and tummy are a bit off. Also my skin was last time, and is this time, really oily from it. Unfortunately my daughter will only have one day off over Christmas and won't be able to get down to us for Christmas. Our older son will go to his girlfriend's parents, as he only has one holiday day left. The resort our daughter is working for is closed for three weeks in January, so she'll come down then. Hopefully we can get hubby's surgery scheduled then, while she is here. We will have our younger son here for Christmas, so it will be nice but quiet.

Hope all is going well with you and that tendon/ligament is calming down. Did you have the injection? How did that go?
 
:yes!:So glad to hear you are doing well...your chance meeting sounds like it may have given you a humble respect for letting this thing take the time it needs...and not sweating the small stuff.
I too feel so deeply for those with complications...but many have come through those issues with strength and determination.
Stay slow, my double hippy pal!
Don't want to put you on "the list":no-fin:
 
Good morning, @Alitm, hope you're feeling better this morning. I agree with your comment as well as others, that getting off the narcotics will definitely help you feel more clear-headed and like yourself, but be sensible and don't do it too early--pain relief is #1 and a little foggy-headedness is a reasonable price to pay. But it will be nice when you're just able to use Tylenol for pain relief, I remember that being a big step on the recovery journey.

I am not sure what it's like up north but, boy, it is so soggy out there AGAIN this morning. It was semi-nice yesterday morning with glints of sunshine through the clouds in the morning, but rain returned by late afternoon and continues through this morning. I wouldn't advise a walk outside unless it's dry and not slippery at all. I'm all for fresh air and exercise, but being careful is more important, and you can always do walks around your house every hour or so as needed. Glad to hear the crutches are working well for you, and I bet you'll be "graduating" to walking poles or unassisted sooner than you think. By Christmas I bet you are feeling pretty darn great, and a nice lowkey Christmas will help with recovery. I'm thinking our holiday will involve the usual craziness but I have no real excuse to offer up. I am just "girding my loins" as I think about all that needs to get done, and try to take it one day at a time.

Have a good one!
 
Hi @Barbaraj This weather is sooo soggy!! It is the universe's way of keeping me on slow mode!! Yes, it was semi-ok yesterday morning, when I was out at my medial appointments, and it went down hill from there. It teamed down earlier and has stopped for awhile now. The temps are supposed to drop below freezing at night and we might even see some flurries on Monday...Yuck!

My OS thinks this hip recovery will come along quickly, as one's anxiety level (and mine!) are lower, knowing what to expect etc, and that promotes healing...as long as one does the measured rest, icing, elevating and walking etc. I'm taking my time and listening to my body, as I know that works. I have great outdoor footwear, but am not messing around with slippery footing. I am following the Bone Smart activities directive again, as that stood me in really good stead last time.

Hope you are staying dry today!
 
Last edited:
Slept well last night and it really pays off, I always see a shift in healing the next day.

Prepared breakfast while on one crutch this AM. So nice to be more independent! If I start to tire and feel more supported on two crutches, DH will transport plate for me! DH makes dinner too. Feeling fortunate.

Tylenol for the day, Tramacet at 11pm, 3am, 7am are working well.

Not going on the list @Mojo333! OS shared a story with me yesterday (after saying I was doing really well but needed to mind the restrictions and behave) about a gentleman who twisted incorrectly coming out of his recliner at three weeks post-op, and dislocated really badly...and was back in the OR. I think that was relayed to me as a reminder to keep on the slow and steady road!
 
Hi @Jaycey, I literally haven't been out of the house since I came home from surgery, except for yesterday when I went for my check up. The weather has been SO rainy and the slippery surfaces really scare me! I'm going a bit loopy being inside, but the weather is not pleasant at all. Much safer to stay in at the moment. Of course you know where I want to visit! It might be wiser to whip out the walker again for that, as long as there is no ice or snow about.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom