THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Hi friend! Hope today finds you better.
I had a terrible PT experience early on, stayed MAD for days.:blackcloud:
As you say, can't let it live rent free in your mind :nah:
Counterproductive.
Did let my OS know at ten day appointment!
Just chill:ice: and rest when able:sleeep:
I'm sending all the best mojo your way.
....and as for all you bilaterals...you are amazing!!! :yes!::flwrysmile:

Yep, We Rock:loll:
 
Thanks so much @Mojo333 :flwrysmile:

Started on the Tramacet yesterday midday. I think the bedtime and middle of the nights dose I'm going to have to stay with the Dilaudid instead for a couple more nights.
 
Wishing you a good one. I hope your pain eases.
At least you know from experience it's only temporary.
I was just thinking yesterday that if my parents hadn't experienced THR (each had both hips replaced)
and I didn't find BoneSmart, I would have been a mess during recovery. What's this, what's that, why this, or that? Probably would have driven my OS nuts, lol. I'll bet there's a measure of comfort in knowing the ropes. At least I hope so because I'm quite sure the day will come for me to have my other hip done.

I hope your day is sunny and bright! :SUNsmile:
Sending love and a hug :loveshwr: :friends:
@Alitm
 
@SurreyGirl Thanks for the drop by :-) Sleep was elusive last night on the full complement of Tramacet. OS said OK to replace bedtime and middle of the night doses with Dilaudid. Will try that tonight. Different hip, different routine!

Hope you've had a good day. Our older son has been working in London from early September to early December, so I'm a bit more on the ball about our time differences! How is your walking going?
 
Good morning, @Alitm, I am hoping with each day that passes the bad memories of the physio will fade, and with pain well managed and icing round the clock, you'll be feeling better every day. But no use beating yourself up about not confronting that crazy lady--I can well understand how you just weren't up to it and just wanting to get out of the hospital as quickly as possible. I think most folks would have a hard time sticking up for themselves in that situation. I remember after my last child was born and, as I wasn't nursing, I wanted to have him taken to the nursery so I could get some much needed sleep (hospital at midnight, baby born three hours later) but they said "the nursery is closed" which was ridiculous (it was a big hospital with a big maternity ward!) and I should have raised a stink (or my husband should have but didn't think of it) so I opted to simply go home with my new infant, exhausted, and to a house with three other kids there. Advocacy when exhausted and not mentally with it shouldn't be expected, and that physio should definitely know better! But, onwards, my friend, you are on the road to recovery now---leave that foolish woman and bad experience at the hospital, "eat my dust"!
 
@Alitm , sorry to read about that bit of a rough start--having to run the gauntlet before you were released from hospital. Hopefully that will be the one and only glitch in what will be a smoooooth recovery. I mean, what are the chances of a 'faultless' convalescence? Maybe you got your #!#@!! over with at the beginning. Let's hope so, anyway. Keep us posted.
 
@EL11 The first RTHR pos op PT experience was OK. The nurses had me up walking, dr. signed me off, PT showed up to check I was using walker correctly, that I could get in and out of bed, get dressed and then I went down to the PT department (I signed and had all my check out papers) practiced the stairs at PT office and had simulated getting in and out of car, plastic bag trick etc., was given the exercises, if I wanted to do them, but she also knew my OS didn't want me to do PT for six weeks. That was it. This second PT experience was completely different! I thought]being a "seasoned" hippie, I would have the "umf" to stand up to saying no, but being as I had just had surgery within the last 12 hours, I wasn't in sparing shape apparently! Just wanting others to be forewarned.

Oh NO that you had to wait for the OT for hours and hours...I missed that post. That must have been awful. Plus you probably had a long drive ahead of you, and that drive home is not the most comfortable, particularly when it is at the end of the day.
How are you walking now? How is your gait coming along? Thinking of you :flwrysmile:

Your OS has reasons for that policy I am sure, or for prescribing it for you in particular; it really is weird that the team was not all aligned this time.

As far as being in shape for a tussle goes, I admit freely that for the past >3 months I have been feeling shall we say a bit oversensitive, exacerbated in my case by the (initially delicious as well as necessary for sleep and pain management) opioid experience.

No, actually the drive from St V is like 10 minutes from our house! But my bf was working long hours at the hospital and we had our handyman/friend pick me up and I had to call him constantly with updates, which no doubt mucked up his day. I could practically have walked home in the walker by the time they signed me out.

My gait is great You’re sweet to ask. I was wicked sore in the wee hours again, but striding around like a champ today. It’s so different from anything I’ve experienced before.
 
Last edited:
Good Evening @Barbaraj, Today was first shower day, and other adventures in the bathroom! Feeling clean and relieved! :heehee: It's all good.

I'm sorry you went through the issues with the maternity ward when you were in with number four bambino. That sounds like a load of nonsense about the nursery being closed. I had a C-section with our twins, and they wanted me to sign a rooming in form the day they were born, I wouldn't.

Tomorrow I have a friend stopping around with curry, chocolate cake and to tell me about her new little horse. I'm so excited for her, and my boys will LOVE the curry and chocolate cake!

Exciting new is that I can get out of the recliner now, Yay! Today was a major shift day!
 
Hi @An54 We have to have our recovery stories... Today was a better day for sure, and there was a shift. Had my first shower and more in the bathroom :heehee: Am able to get out of the recliner now on my own....all good.

Have a friend stopping by with food goodies and pictures of her new horse tomorrow. So it will be great to see her.
Looks like the weather has set in through the weekend. How is your :flwrysmile:back holding up? Hoping for continued improvement for your back....any dancing again?

Wishing you a comfortable night :sleep:
 
Hi @EL11 Great that you're striding out! So encouraging :)

I think a lot of us are stiff in the winter months when we get up. The one thing I notice before I had this second surgery, was that my right hip might be a bit stiff, but it took no time to warm up out of it, whereas my OA hip never warmed up!:SUNsmile:

I forgot that that your hospital was close. We allow 15 mins on the country roads, and then 10 ish mins through the little city we live in to get to ours.

The weird thing was that my OS did not prescribe the exercises I had to do, he never does, and had already cleared me. He supports walking only post op to six weeks, and after that he suggests swimming or the elliptical. He came back in to see me after all the shenanigans occurred with the exercises and the extra walking. I believe that some of the PT's are threatened by the changes the newer surgeons want to implement, like getting folks home earlier, visiting nurses etc. Change is hard.
 
@AnnieRose2 Thanks for your drop by healing thoughts. Much better day today. Lots of shifts in the right direction. Will be glad to have this week behind me! Lots of icing, elevating and gentle walks going on! Sleeping in recliner which seems to work well for me the first few weeks.
How are things going for you? Need to check your thread. Hoping you are having a peaceful evening :flwrysmile:
 
Good morning, @Alitm, sounds like you are feeling all nice and clean, and ready to face a new day with a smile on your face! Yay! And a friend stopping by with cake and curry, what a treat! Since you've already had your Canadian Thanksgiving, you aren't feeling crazed (like I and perhaps a few of your US compadres) at the thought of a big dinner tomorrow. Fortunately, we go to a family member's home for the day, and I'm required to bring a pan of rolls (not an issue, as I love baking) and a salad. I do need to hustle up to the store today to buy a few more salad ingredients but then I'm done. I did promise a neighbor I'd go down to her house this afternoon and help her set up for 25+ guests (she has a BIG extended family) but she promised a glass of white wine at the end so I'm all in! Have a good day, resting and icing and being thankful that the surgery is over and you're well on your way to recovery--whew!
 
I was just trying to catch up on you, over on your thread, and saw that I had an alert! I'm sorry that your left hip continues to grumble, boo hiss :hissy:. Good that you are striving to get the exercises done to keep that hip ticking over. I didn't get as far as to see how your op hip is doing. With all your activities it sounds like it is doing really well.

I have to say, having celebrated both US and Canadian Thanksgiving, I do like the break between Thanksgiving in October and then Christmas in December. Not quite the same hysteria level than when doing the Nov and Dec dates. I feel for you all with the one after another. Such a nice time to get together though.

Glad that you got the rolls and salad end of the stick for Thanksgiving, and they are foodies that you enjoy preparing. Be careful with helping with all that furniture arranging this afternoon! Be sure to cash in on the wine:heehee:
Wishing you and your family a happy and relaxing Thanksgiving...let the kids and their significant others clean up!!! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi there, @Alitm, sounds like you're doing very well, I am so delighted for you. Everyday will get better still. I hope you had a great horse chat with your friend, pictures and all. It will keep the motivation going. Last few days have kept me away from the electronics, 3 days in town all day, and pretty fried by the end. But it should be easy sailing from here on out. First time in over 20 years that I have not cooked Thanksgiving dinner. We are going to a buffet.. it can't be that bad, after all, we are all eating the same stuff for Thanksgiving. My brother in law is here, all is very low keyed, no prep cooking, no cleaning after cooking, no cooking after cooking, no finding places to put the leftovers. This is going to be a very relaxing weekend indeed. I will have a chance to chat more in a day or two. Cheers

:flwrysmile::horseriding:
 
Hi @Lmflora, Glad you survived your three days straight in town marathon. Yikes. So glad your Thanksgiving plans sound very relaxing...you need that! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family :-)

Had a lovely visit with my girlfriend. She showed up without pics...how dare she forget LOL!! So happy for her :-)

Lots of swelling today and yesterday. I looked back to my September hip, and it happened at the same time, to the day, so really icing up and elevating a bit more in recliner. I had my surgery on a Friday last time, as well as this time, so easy to track.

Chat in a couple of days. Enjoy the holiday and the no cooking or clean up :happydance:
 
Happy American Thanksgiving to all the US Hippies out there. Wishing you a comfortable day with family and/or friends :flwrysmile:

A special thank you to all the Bonesmart advisors, admins, mods and all of you who reach out to cheer us on, support us through the tough times, guide us when we need help, and celebrate with us on our healing milestones :loveshwr:
 
Thanks @Alitm.
:friends:
It has been quite a year for you with all this healing business...but you are going to be So good next year!!:egypdance:
Thankful for the opportunity to give back to a forum that was a lifeline for me during my recovery.:yes:

Not quite one week out for you...aawww...memories.:ice::sigh:
Hang in there...you Know it gets better!
 
Good morning, @Alitm, it's rainy, with threatening skies outside my study window this morning. I can tell the drive "over the river and through the woods" to our Thanksgiving dinner this afternoon is going to be miserable. But we are transporting my younger son and older son, plus older son's girlfriend, and I'm sure there will be lots of good conversation and laughter on the drive south. Traffic here in the PNW is absolutely wretched, and especially on a holiday. But whatever--once we arrive and I have a glass of wine in my hand, I am sure things will perk up. Rolls are rising as I'm writing this, and a luxurious shower are next on my morning agenda. Sorry to hear about your swelling, but having gone through this once before, you know what to expect so even though it's not pleasant, you know it's only temporary and you're continuing to move ahead. Hang in there, and have a great day!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom