THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

This all. Sounds. horribly familiar. Why oh why does the PT have to be so insistent when the drugs don’t turn up on time or are the wrong dose.dont they realise people can be in real pain ?!! Grrrrgh!
 
@EL11 I definitely have more pain and swelling with this second hip (LTHR), than the first (RTHR). However, I don't think that would have been the case if the physio had not been able to get her hands on me! IMO the physio took an amazing surgical outcome, and strained the soft tissues structures (on the same day as surgery) UNNECESSARILY! No patient should have to be "put through their paces" like that in order to go home. What she was asking me to do way beyond my needs, period the end. The good thing is that I'm done, and can :sleep: and :ice:
 
@SurreyGirl The crazy thing was that I was walking in the halls still powered by whatever cocktail I'd been given for pain prior to surgery. My OS doesn't use oxy as a general pain med, but I believe I had been given the long acting oxy, celebrex and something else prior to surgery. So after the surgery and after the spinal wore off, I was walking with no pain meds.or the long acting stuff. I started to feel stiff around 4 PM, so asked for some extra strength Tylenol then. I started having more pain when I got home, and the physio had had me up most of the day post op, doing one thing or another, vs. letting me walk to the bathroom and rest!
 
That's really too bad. I truly believe the day will come when all docs will preach that no
PT is necessary, initially, for a individually determined period of time. Possibly one day we'll be telling those who follow behind us stories of old recovery practices and they'll be shocked we were put through those motions. It makes no sense to stress an injured leg that way.

I did do some of those silly exercises before discharge but I believe I could have refused. It seems the only requirements were how to get in / out of bed and up / down stairs. A nurse also walked us to our vehicle upon discharge to show me how to get in / out.
I hope your pain eases up soon and you have a pleasant day.
Hugs
@Alitm
 
Pain managed, icing (How many ice packs can one get on a leg!) and resting. Next dose time going to try the tramacet and tylenol and see how that works. Getting a little itchy again from the Dillaudid but no crazy horrible dreams yet.
 
Still finding getting into and out of recliner difficult. Not sure why. Don't recall difficulty last time.
 
IMO the physio took an amazing surgical outcome, and strained the soft tissues structures (on the same day as surgery)
I am so sorry you were put through the ringer to go home. Shall a few of us bone smarties go find that physio and deliver 40 wacks with a cane?

I hope you get comfortable soon.
 
Argh, @Alitm, let me join with everyone else (yourself included) in thinking not very nice thought about the physio and those ridiculous exercises before allowing you to go home. It really doesn't make any sense at all, and clearly it set you back when you did get home. Sounds like so far, despite stiffness and some soreness, the drugs are doing their part to make you reasonably comfortable and I hope that continues. It is very early days yet, but I bet by week's end you'll be feeling much better. I think that first week, whether it's hip #1 or #2, is a miserable week that simply has to be gotten through before you start feeling yourself again. Hang in there, and I hope you have sunshine today like we do.
 
Poor @Alitm I do hope after the initial couple of days you are starting to feel a bit better. I wish there was a 'sad' button to press - it seemed heartless pressing 'like' after your posts! I think you should complain formally when you're feeling a bit more yourself. The hospital should be made aware of this dreadful person.
 
Still finding getting into and out of recliner difficult. Not sure why. Don't recall difficulty last time.
That's what I mean; it's weird. Walking down the hospital hall to get sign-out from the first PT was no big deal with hip 1, but I got a nasty electric shot of pain in my quad with hip 2, and yelped. However, the first/right hip kept going into spasm when I was trying to sleep the first few days, whereas the second/left hip calmed right down courtesy of the opioid.
 
@SwampHiker, @Barbaraj, @EL11 and everyone else who has responded here, I wish I had had more "with it" on Friday and had put my foot down, but I was so wanting to go home, and that was being used as leverage by the physio. I will speak to the OS next week about me writing a letter to the pertinent powers that be at the hospital. Physios should not be holding up decisions made by the surgeons, the orthopedic nurses and the patients, particularly a patient who has just been through this surgery and knows how to dress, use the walker etc. Further they should not hold back a patient when it is clear that the patient has the support systems at home and most of all is healthy enough to go home. If anyone did any injuring in this situation, it was the physio.

I was seriously amazed that after second surgery I could walk down to the nurses station and back, that my blood pressure had come back up with out much ado, O2 had a little assistance in recovery, and without major drugs on board that I know of. It may have been the residual oxy or whatever they may have put in the spinal. However, I believe the swelling and pain I had this weekend could have been avoided by not having been pushed to do those ridiculous exercises and extra walks post op on Friday. More is not better!! Grrrr.

So thanks to BoneSmart, I have switched down to the Tramacet and Tylenol schedule (allowing for the Tylenol in the Tramacet) today, not a dose missed, and so far so good! I literally iced up, did a few short walks and circulation paddles with my feet for the last three days, and it has really helped. I've pushed away all visitors to one on Wednesday and am really taking it easy. I want to be an advocate for other patients though, so will ask OS how best I can help with that.

@EL11 I am in awe of you doing #2 in six weeks. That must have been so tough. I have to say, nine weeks is pretty good, although still hard to get out of recliner...but that is coming!

Thanks for being there these last few days. So helpful, you have no idea! :roseshwr:
 
@EL11 I am in awe of you doing #2 in six weeks. That must have been so tough. I have to say, nine weeks is pretty good, although still hard to get out of recliner...but that is coming!

I accepted @Layla’s kind offer to change my thread name and said six but actually it was seven ☺️ I don’t know what I was thinking except that the OS had said for me he thought six would be fine and I asked them to book the surgeries that way.

I think a couple more weeks would have been all to the good but I’m very happy with how it shook out. With the RTHR I was walking unaided almost exactly six weeks to the day after surgery. I was actually going to carry the walker I brought into the waiting area but then thought ew, do I need to be using my personal walker in the hospital bathroom I share with someone, so I left it at home.

Good for you for making your concerns known and advocating for other patients. I was fine with having the PT on the scene next day but everyone is different ... and the routine was extremely gentle. My main beef was that the PAs on duty the day after my op, totally dropped the ball and I wa waiting for many hours for the occupational therapist to come, the final step on my release form ... as was my feisty 95 year old roomie, whose relatives had to come from out of town.

It’s so good that you’re home and doing all the right things for your healing. Every good sleep gives your body more healing energy, ah ...
 
Oh @Alitm - I do NOT like to read what happened the day of your surgery via the PT. I know how you were feeling about really wanting to come home (I nearly burst into tears because my right foot would NOT cooperate and wake up and I had to stay). I refused to do stairs - in fact, my husband told the PT that I would NOT be doing ANY stairs this time. He must've scared her a bit because she backed right down (little "who-sy missy").

Hang in there - take those meds on schedule (not when they wear off) and SLEEP. Slumber these first several days (like a whole weeks worth).

Have a peaceful Tuesday!:sleeep:
 
@Alitm .... So happy to hear that you have come through your 2nd surgery, and so sorry for what you went thru with the PT. How ridiculous that anyone would think its ok to have a patient doing therapy hours after major surgery. Glad to hear that you are back on the recovery track.
Hope your recovery goes well and you stay comfortable. :flwrysmile:​
 
@EL11 The first RTHR pos op PT experience was OK. The nurses had me up walking, dr. signed me off, PT showed up to check I was using walker correctly, that I could get in and out of bed, get dressed and then I went down to the PT department (I signed and had all my check out papers) practiced the stairs at PT office and had simulated getting in and out of car, plastic bag trick etc., was given the exercises, if I wanted to do them, but she also knew my OS didn't want me to do PT for six weeks. That was it. This second PT experience was completely different! I thought]being a "seasoned" hippie, I would have the "umf" to stand up to saying no, but being as I had just had surgery within the last 12 hours, I wasn't in sparing shape apparently! Just wanting others to be forewarned.

Oh NO that you had to wait for the OT for hours and hours...I missed that post. That must have been awful. Plus you probably had a long drive ahead of you, and that drive home is not the most comfortable, particularly when it is at the end of the day.
How are you walking now? How is your gait coming along? Thinking of you :flwrysmile:
 
@NanaKP I'm sorry your right foot wouldn't oblige. I wasn't sure that my leg would wake up from the attempted spinal, but once it did, and my blood pressure came up quite quickly, the nurses had me out of bed and walking! Surgeon came in to check on me and cleared me to come home. The rest was the foolishness with the physio, not the same gal as last time unfortunately.

I'm taking my meds on schedule. How are you doing now? How is hip #2 feeling? When is your hardware coming out of hip #2? I need to get over to your thread! Hoping you are doing well and most importantly are going slowly!
Wishing you a comfortable Tuesday :flwrysmile:
 
@Lea61 The thing with the physio really was the pits, and the extra pain was so unnecessary. However, moving on now that I have got over the worst of that phase it seems. Lots of meds and icing going on to keep me comfortable. I'm writing this week off, like I did last time. Last time the second week improved, but then I did too much and sat and did nothing for another four days! I'l try and be better about that this time around.

How are you feeling? How is it going for you? I'll get over to your thread tomorrow.
Wishing you a comfortable night tonight. :flwrysmile:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom