Guest viewing is limited

PKR Catkins recovery from PKR!

@catkin69 ... Great to hear your progress! A 2.5 mile walk is fabulous... :yay:

I'm just up to 5 miles on my indoor bike ... I'm thinking about a short (~5 miles) outdoor bike ride at the shore this weekend if the weather cooperates.... :bicycle1:

I agree the sea air is calming and makes me rest better was well... :surfer:
 
@catkin69,

I think you’ve found one secret to helping move your recovery along which is to find some form of distraction that also doubles as a form of physical rehabilitation for your knee. Your walk along the shore, vacation with friends, getting away from the normal (humdrum) routine that seems to take forever, really helps, both physically as well as mentally/emotionally.
 
@NavyGunns if only we didn’t have to go home!!
@JDinCT that’s a good distance on your bike. I never got an indoor bike but want to try my outdoor one. I feel ready to try anything now!!
 
I’m back from my lovely break. I have walked a lot while away, only possible by using 2 crutches. I have now tucked them away and will be concentrating on quality not quantity . I have just walked to the butchers using just a stick and it felt pretty good. I was worried about my gait but I feel it has greatly improved. I hope the physio agrees on Tuesday.
I also need to get back to my ‘exercises ‘
 
Last edited:
@catkin69, I’m sure it feels good to be back home no matter how enjoyable the trip was. Quality vs quantity..... as someone who’s professional background is in quality, finding the ideal balance of the two is the ultimate goal. But it is achievable.
 
Quick update! The physio has discharged me! Really pleased I don’t have to keep travelling over there! Everything I was doing in knee class I can do here. I’m walking a lot better unaided. Just start to limp as I get tired so am doing what I can do comfortably.
I have finally found a positive for having this op and it is driving without pain. Finally after knee injury in January 2018 I drive for half an hour without any discomfort!
I’m still not ready to face work yet as I know I wouldn’t cope but will get there hopefully soon.
 
Glad to hear they’ve discharged you. I think it’s wise to use the stick to walk if you have pain when walking, you’ll eventually be able to give it up.
 
@catkin69 Congrats on the milestone...…. :thumb: good to hear you are moving right along and progressing well...
 
Yay to driving without pain!!! I think that's what I'm looking forward to the most- that and hiking again...
Congrats on your recovery!
 
@catkin69 well done! I drove yesterday for the first time and it was great and pain free!
I've been walking well without any aid for a couple of weeks, I don't have full extension still (haven't for a couple of years pre tkr) and kept trying to stride out with a heel strike, my pt said my problem wasn't tbe heel strike but my heel raise on my operated leg as I move forward. Making sure I do a nice heel raise has smoothed my gait amazingly and painfree. :-)
 
@Jodingers when I drag myself out of bed I will see what I do with my heel!!
I am walking without stick in the house but still taking it if walking any distance. The last few days have been awful. I haven’t overdone it but the pain keeps catching me. Not constant just intermittent and I have jumpy leg! After the excitement of driving I am feeling a bit miserable again!!
My GP has signed me off work for another 4 weeks. I really hope things improve rapidly because I am a little bored of being home now!
@Cynof4 it was great to drive without pain and I’m really looking forward to walking some hills again. Good luck with your op.
 
It's such a long drag isn't it? I'm due to go back to work in 2 weeks, I'll add 2 weeks holiday on tbe end, so I'll be back at 10 weeks. Not looking forward to it as I won't be able to elevate + ice, but I will phase my hours back in initially.
I keep reminding myself of the quote on here ( can't remember who by) that it's not a linear recovery but a gradual one, so if I have a bad day I try to tell myself it's just part of the process but it is hard.
I start private hydrotherapy in a week, I haven't done any exercises, heel slides etc... since 2 weeks in, just walking + exercise bike , so it will be interesting to see how I get on ... !
 
I finally ventured out on my bike with my hubby and son who were doing a little run. I did one and a half miles came home, cried and felt sick!! Can’t believe how unfit I have become!
You are not unfit, you have been surgically wounded and healing takes a long time. You will get stronger as you heal. :console2:
 
Thank you @Jockette . I have been to the gym today with my daughter. We did a little bit on a few machines and it felt pretty good. I feel like there is light at the end of this long long tunnel!
 
Be careful with those machines, it’s a little early for you yet. No weights yet. :bignono: Remember, you’re not unfit. Give yourself plenty of time to heal. :console2:
 
I will be careful @Jockette I don’t have an exercise bike so I use the different bikes and the treadmill because I can ‘walk on the beach’
I am having problems with my knee giving way because my quads are still weak!
 
I had never had surgery before my TKR and never realized how much energy our bodies use to heal after a surgery. Give yourself time to get back in shape, it’ll happen when your body is healed.
 
I am 12 weeks along now and if I’m honest I’m feeling pretty miserable. I’m still not fit to go back to work as I can only walk very short distance without my stick and my knee is still giving way. There is no way I can manage the 10,000 steps I do on a shift at work. If I stand for any length of time I get a fat purple knee and if I do too much exercise I get an egg like swelling on the medial side of my knee!!
I feel I am between a rock and a hard place at the moment and don’t know what to do to get out of it.
I see occupational health at work next week and my consultant on the 18th June so until then I am muddling along
 
Everything you describe is par for the course for most of us.

Were you expecting an easier/shorter recovery because you had a partial, like I was?
 
@Jockette thanks for replying. I had read that partials take as long to recover from but I think I discounted that a bit thinking I’m only 50 and the rest of me was working very nicely!!
I am just so frustrated and didn’t imagine I would need so long off work. I think that is what is bothering me the most.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom