TKR Casuals recovery thread

I hope you have a much less painful day tomorrow.
 
Is it normal to start feeling like, You just don't want to start this all over again? I so don't want too, starting to get depressed over it, I better get over it fast, I only have 7 days.
 
I think it’s very normal. I understand how you feel. I need to look into more opinions about my knee and I just dread doing this over again.
 
It's the getting there that's so hard. Once it's over, then we know that it's over and the best is yet to come!
 
Hi @Casuals know the feeling well had my left done 31/10/18 and having my right done day before you 13/11/18, I am sure it is ok for us to be apprehensive about another surgery , but hey it will be done and dusted and on the road to recovery in 7 days, so wishing you a successful surgery and a uneventful bonesmart recovery:flwrysmile:
 
Oh gosh, it's completely normal to not want to do something unpleasant again. TKR surgery and recovery are not anyone's idea of fun. Or even "well, why not?" Nope. No one really wants to do it until life becomes quite intolerable. :sad:

Distraction might help for your waiting period. Do fun or interesting things you won't be able to do right after surgery. Visit friends or family. Go to the theater or a concert. Shop for that new sink and faucet. Live fully. Go into surgery with positive thoughts and know that having this new knee will, in the long run, make a positive change in your life.

Sometimes a wretched and complaining original knee is worse than having a newly operated knee. I had both knees done, and one of the reasons my OS gave for that being a good option for me was "that other knee (the "better" one) is going to be overwhelmed after surgery anyway. The implant will hold up better." Turns out I did perfectly well with two new implant-knees. So your new right knee will likely be a functional improvement right away and be a better partner for your left knee. :friends:
 
gecko and Susie, sister and jockette thanks guys! 4 days away now.
gecko, that is really close together, my first was in July. Good luck hun!
Susie thanks! I feel like stomping my feet and holding my breath and just saying No! I don't want too,!! Hahaha
At least, I can vent here in my little corner. Lol
 
Last edited:
This is the place that everyone understands what you are going through and welcome all your comments!
 
Mine were 11 weeks apart and I felt the same apprehension as you! But I found that it all went rather quickly the second time around from the day of surgery through those pesky early days of gait belts, Ted hose, and covering the leg during showers. You know what to expect and it will all be over with soon!

I made some improvements for the second knee. Bought a Lounge Doctor for easier elevation, and a laptop table so I could sit on the couch or bed with my laptop and still have clearance to elevate and ice. Maybe there are some improvements you could make to your environment to look forward to?
 
Last edited:
Ok, made it through my second TKR, so different than the first.
I was so nauseous this time, I ended up vomiting twice after surgery. The pain was worse this time so have been taking the meds, till today. They had to keep me an extra day, just wanted to make sure, I was stable enough. they sent me home with oxygen cause my oxygen levels were staying to low. However this knee doesn't seem to be as tight as my left one was. Hurts more, but not as tight. Im so happy to have this out of the way. Again I'm so grateful for this forum.
 
:flwrysmile: Yay! You did it! :yes!: Isn't it weird how the experience is so different between the two knees?

I hope you get that pesky pain under control soon, and your oxygen levels out.

Do you have something that works for you to control your nausea?
 
I’m glad the surgery is behind you! We read lots of members who’s 2 knees recovered differently.

Please tell us the date of this recent surgery, it looks like we need to change the date in your signature. Thanks!
 
Jokette, This RTKR, was on November 14th.
Teecup, I do have some dissolving pills, they help a little bit.
Went to PT today, she was surprised at how well my leg is doing. It's my emotional well being right now! But I know this too will pass. Thank you to everyone
 
This :bawl:always helps my emotional well being! I always feel better after a good, hard, 'I'm so tired of being like this' cry. I give up, then get up. Know what I mean? :console2:
 
This recovery is an extremely emotional time!

And thanks for the surgery date, we’ll get your signature changed.
 
@Casuals I just want to add my support to the other members' voices. Take it easy, don't push the PT or let yourself be pushed by it. I've got a really damaged left knee that I hope can be replaced once I recover from my broken kneecap on the right side. Remember the eventual outcome we all strive for, knee joints that aren't just ground to nothing.
 
Sounds like you're doing pretty well @Casuals! My surgery was the day before yours. I"m finding comfort in knowing what to expect with #2 - even if it doesn't eliminate the discomfort :heehee:.
 
Kmak,
I'm so glad your doing well!! I ended up having a little mini breakdown the other night. Hopefully I'm back on track on working this recovery!
 
@ motherbone,
I'm so hoping you are able to get it all fixed and heal correctly. Thank You!
 
As we know, this recovery is not linear - Aaarrggghh! After two pretty decent sleep nights - last night was a prickly knee disaster :blackcloud:we just have to hang in there and hope that each week brings us a little closer to the finish line. :chrissy grin:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom