Bilateral TKR Carol's Recovery<

Sit to stand was definitely introduced too early for me. I agree that the moves will likely unfold normally over time.

• Agree
Reactions: CAB
Some times I can get up fairly easily...other times not so much. Most days at work I use the regular bathroom opposed to the handicap one but I do have to use that one at times...still! I’ve been back to work 2 weeks now and the weekends I’m pretty worn out. This weekend was easier. I’ll be able to get my nails done! I had a heck of a time 2 weeks ago after sitting at the manicure chair getting up. :groan:Took me a minute to straighten up. Everyone was so concerned and it was a little embarrassing...but I did it :yahoo:

I put my recumbent bike together last week and it’s been neglected because I’m tired after an 11 hour shift. My appetite returned last week! First time I’ve been hungry since surgery. Now I have to be careful not to gain that weight back...arghhhh....holiday eating :whistle:

Have you tried Advil PM? My doc also recommended trazadone for sleep but you’ll need an rx for that. Hope to hear you’re sleeping soon. That was the hardest part of recovery for me. I still find if I don’t go to sleep as soon as i start getting sleepy that it’s harder to fall asleep.

Hope you had a fabulous turkey day! You’re still my bilateral TKR hero! :flwrysmile:

11 weeks tomorrow.
Time keeps on drifting into the future.:egypdance:
I can Sit to stand it is still slow but can happen, but not from my fav chair.

I can walk up the stairs no stick. Its still hard. But i can talk my right leg into it.
If there are only a half dozen steps i can go down those very carefully without a stick but not my flight with 17 steps. They look steeep.

I went to an 80th birthday party yesterday, it was great! Good food, good bubbles, good company and good music.
The last thing i was expecting to do was dance,
But dance i did...a few times infact!:dancy:kept a strong hold of my husband tho to keep me upright if i got knocked.
Knees a bit swollen today...small price to pay! Loved it.
Im helping at the school a few times a week now...all sitting. Love it but tired when i get home.
Going to my gym for upper body and back strength. All my regular activities makes me feel alive!
Visited the Dr re pain help he told me to take my lyrica 75mg 2xdaily plus he doubled my mobic 15mg and continue panadol oesteo 2x3td. Can cope again. Guess i shouldnt stop taking meds just yet. Re sleeping, seeing i dont take sleeping pills regularly he suggested i just try polaramine just the old regular antihistamine one. Got 2 good nights in a row yay. And got a clear nose to boot! Slept well last night no Polaramine:sleeep:
Keep well everyone. And keep on keeping on.

Love your Eagle's reference. Now I can't get the song out of my brain LOL.

• Funny
Reactions: CAB
12 weeks out.
Such a good way to track our own revovery.

Im Walking quite well. Not far enough for me yet, perhaps 2 klm before rest needed. More practice required.

Stairs. Going ok walking down is a bit better this week can do my stairs up a little better.
Happily went up and down stairs at school today. Still Need rail.
1 leg squat. Left leg can a bit, Right seriously bad and cannot. Muscle and soft tissue still not healed. Ever so slow.
Right knee still swells a lot. Have started to ice and elevate again.

Pain has been quite good but but still gets to me when ive overdone things. I take something for it if needed.

Went to the beach on Sunday. Walked on the sand soft and hard. Was great!:egypdance:
Can NOT seat myself on my beach chair...or get up yet, its a low seat so expect that'll take some time!

I can kneel, and have arm muscled my way to my feet on a very soft cushion at home.:heehee:
Im working towards being able to get up from the sand.

Keep on keeping on everyone!
Carol

3 months

I was sick over the weekend and not feeling so good, when visiting gp for other reason, I complained about knee pain. I'd had a very painful weekend to go with stomach virus! :sick:

Finally after 2 months we agreed to a scan.
3.2cm tear in Rectis Femoris muscle .
5mm tear in patella tendon. Also suggesting patella tendonitis.
Ha no wonder its slow to recover. Another couple of months and i should be great.

Even with this I feel I'm still going well.
Pain relief

Finally only on Mobic 15mg am.
Panadol Oesteo 2x 3daily. Sometimes I forget the midday one.
There is always a little pain except while icing!

Christmas is near heres a little cheer:santa hug::cheers:
Keep on keeping on!
Carol

5mm tear in patella tendon. Also suggesting patella tendonitis
How do you think you got those tears?

5mm tear in patella tendon. Also suggesting patella tendonitis.
Bless you heart. Be sure and give those knees lots of TLC. They have earned it!

Ahhh @sistersinhim thank you.
@Jockette this was part of my very first post. Interestingly i had re read my whole post today.
Just when I was going so well, I had an extremely painful near full collapse, while taking the last step with my right leg. It was so bad I thought I had dislocated my right knee. Thankfully I can walk, I now have bruising on my knee cap and a couple of muscle strains in my quad. I can't lift my leg because of the pain in my quad. Although I am getting a "little" lift at times.

I went to my own pt today for further treatment on injury. Its going to be slow but good to know i will recover...fancy going through all that (BTKR) and then beeing not strong enough to step up!!:gaah:

I still believe my recovery is pretty darned good. Considering everything, my ROM is fabulous in the opinion of those that matter.
BTW Has anyone recovered from muscle tear? Any idea of time line to recovery?

You really are having a good recovery. The injury is unusual, of course (meaning I've only heard of this happening once before), but you have such a great attitude and are handling it with good sense. Until the muscle heals, there will be certain things your knee and leg simply cannot do.

I'll tag @Josephine for your question about a time line to recovery. I hope it won't be too long!

Maybe I'm wrong, but to me, it doesn't make sense to exercise a torn muscle and tendon. @Josephine, what are your thoughts?

So this injury happened within the first weeks of recovery? Where were you when it happened?

Hi @Jockette my mishap happened at our country property. On the 14th Oct...basically 5 weeks post op. No railings on our steps which are just a little higher than a normal step, only 3 steps. I had spent the weekend steping up and catching up with my right (it was slightly slower and not as strong) only to try to step up just as we were ready to leave to go home....bad mistake!
@sistersinhim and @Josephine the exercises I've been doing for weeks are just basic building strength, light stretch, bit of balance...basically similar things to what i find now on the interet for Rectis femoris repair, i have been in rehab during this time. And am happy with what they've been doing with me (since changing instructor.) While i hadn't had a scan they thought that something like that was what was "going on".
Im finished with outpatient Rehab now, just have to keep myself going carefully until it repairs i guess.
Luckily my ROM has always been good.
Ive noticed since being unwell last weekend and not getting out much to walk, that i very quickly have lost the bit of walking stamina i had built up. Im sure ill pick it up quickly again.

Although i was able to do No meds from Christmas day, doing things was still pretty painful. I haven't walked as much as i would like and no stationary bike since Christmas eve. Start gym again after 1st.
I feel like I've gone backwards a bit, over the last week. Seems to coincide with dropping the drugs. I want to go walk this afternoon so have taken 1000mg Panadol.
Please let this muscle heal more quickly than it has so far. I'm getting a bit impatient and frustrated.
I aslo have a bit of pain around my knee caps. ITB needs stretching often.
Looking forward to 2019
Happy New Year everyone.:martini:

Please be conservative in your exercising. A small tear in a tendon -- seems to me that needs rest, not motion that might lengthen the tear. Some of what you report is so similar to what I experienced that it scared me. In particular, the part about having difficulty lifting your leg. My patellar tendon was ruptured and I could not extend at the knee as a result. Please be careful and don't push yourself to the point where you make it worse. I also had a partially torn tendon in my ankle about 15 years ago and my podiatrist put me in a walking boot that immobilized that joint for six weeks. For torn tendons, I would think some immobilization is necessary to allow healing.

Thanks @Motherbone its difficult to know what is best to do in my situation.
To bend or not to bend. To exercise or not,
To sit i have to bend. To stand from sitting i have to work hard to get up while being mindful of my torn muscle and tendon. Yet still use the muscles.
My regular (not rehab) PT is treating my knees with ultra sound, massage and tens.
He is giving me very easy things to retrain my muscles eg step from side to side and hold on one leg in between for balance, with slightly bent knees Left can do this without holding on Right finds it really very difficult, and still need to hold on tight. i have to teach the muscles to like it again. Phew its hard. But i assure you its gentle.
Step are still not easy but my brain now tells my leg to step up instead of my having to consciously tell it what to do...that was so weird not getting those messages automatically ...did this happen to you @Motherbone ?

Btw @Motherbone its been 12 weeks since i got that torn muscle. Its time to try to help it along. Drs advice is it could take another couple of months still!

During my first PT appointment last week it became apparent to me that my body has forgotten how to walk and I will have to be mindful during each step and even during the various stages of each step. I know how you feel about not getting those messages automatically!

4 months post op.
Well my miracle certainly didn't happen.
Like everyone i wanted not just quick but immediate recovery.
I am happy that right knee steps up without prompting now. Strength is still a problem. Easy to tell muscle hasn't repaired. Very tight, and cramps when tired or too hard. Still having ultra sound and tens machines 1or 2 weekly.
Still have pain both knees around knee caps.
But can manage some days no meds. Mostly only take panadol.
Can sit into and get out of my beach chair...its pretty low! Walking down onto the sand is ok but any slight slope up is hard work
Keep on keeping on.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom