Bilateral TKR Carol's Recovery<

Hi @CAB, not sure if cutting of serious drugs is directed at me, but just in case, I had stopped all narcotics by the end of week four, and felt a lot better....goodby foggy feeling! Xx
 
I have been lucky that the Mobic and Panadol do the trick, it doesn't seem to work for everyone.I must say, I was tempted to take the odd hydromorphine, when I had that bleed, and couldn't put any weight on one leg....but rest did the trick....though very boring!:bored: I must say it took about a week withdrawing from the hydromorphine...with side effects of diarrhoea.....otherwise not too bad!
 
Got a high distinction from my dr at my 6 week check up yesterday.
Told him of my falls etc after his assessment. Think i scared him a bit! It scared me a lot actually.
Today i found i could roll my back a bit on my foam roller on my bed. It helped my back a bit but interestingly i thought id just roll my calves while i was attit. Boy were they tight.
Interestingly atm the tightness around my knees seem to have eased! Yay.
Keep up all your healing. However you do it! :)
 
No, but it only lasted a few days, and then I was free of the narcotics!:yes!:
 
Im going to drop my day time narc tomorrow.
But ill keep the night one for a couple of more days. Hope that helps with the withdrawal symptoms.
 
@CAB when I had weaned myself off the Oyx 5/325 during the day..I was still taking two at night to sleep, then one, then half. This downshift at night occurred over 5-8 nights and didn’t cause me any unpleasant withdrawal symptoms some folks here have experienced.

Good luck to you! Hope you continue to have an uneventful recovery.
 
7 weeks now. Rehab going well. Pain during bike cycle...the lay down a bit. So stopped it but was happy to try the upright bike 61/2 mins later i was happy!:upright:

Hydro is great its letting me practice stairs without the fear...boy righty forgets how to step up and down. It doesnt hurt but i have to say bend your knee...step up... straighten your knee...bend your knee, be brave step down with left leg. Did it!!:bolt:

@2@atime i was down to 1 palexia at night but forgot to take it last night! and didnt remember during the night so i guess i might be off them now.
I have a couple of instant relief for emergencies.
Just went for a walk for coffee with my husband, it was a tough gig today. Dont know why except it was rehab yesterday.
Looks like netflix elevate and ice this afternoon :martini:this looks good tho!!!
Rest up and heal well.
 
@CAB , @79newknees --glad to meet some folks who have also had setbacks on the road to recovery. Page one of my recovery thread outlines my experience with a knee injury sustained during a PT session, and I'm journaling my recovery in the thread. I offer my moral support to both of you. We all need to heed the advice on this forum to go slow and find our own recovery pace.

Motherbone continues to hobble toward recovery! :tiredwheel:
 
Ive been the rehab today. I love going, always feel great when leaving. I am strong when something hurts and will try another way.
Today tho i wasnt sure if I wanted to leave because i was mad. Or just sit there and cry.
I was asked to sit to stand...no hands. I cant do that yet i said. My brain wont even entertain that i might be able. I felt pt belittled me (shes loud) i told her i had just begun to sit to stand from my bed...its a little high.
Anyway she said "yes you can". I tried but could only move if i used my arms. I asked if i could have a cushion to make the seat a little higher to try that. The answer was NO. She asked me if i wanted to come there and make up my own program. ??? What the heck
I am an I CAN DO type of person and will take a challenge.
This has just upset me so so much.
When did other BTKR start sit to stand no hands??
Btw i did have a bit of a setback about 2 weeks ago.
I did practice a squat to stand in the pool today on the stairs.
 
@CAB hold steadfast in your refusal to do something that you feel unready for! It was during that exact exercise that I ruptured my patella and the tendon that allows for leg extension at the knee (I forget the name). The surgeon who was called upon to repair the damage told me afterwards that I had also blown a hole at the point where the joint capsule had been closed following the original knee replacement. My takeaway after thinking about all of this is that different parts of my body heal at very different rates, and while the muscles were getting stronger, the tendons and softer tissue were still knitting together and were no match for the forces exerted by the muscles during that exercise. I see no reason why that might not be true for others of us as well. I had already done 10 and was on the 11th of a set of 15 when it happened. Call me traumatized. Even if you want to try it, do not stand for that verbal abuse. No physical therapist has the right to verbally abuse you and then rationalize it as an attempt to motivate you. Do not stand for it. Complain to their administrators if it continues, do so in writing, and educate yourself about what governmental agency in your state regulates the profession. When I read about experiences like yours it angers me but that anger has to be productively focused. Be careful and be an advocate for yourself. Do not allow them to bully you. If anyone does that to me in the future, I am going to halt the appointment immediately, inform them that I consider their behavior abusive, and walk out.
 
@CAB , OMG......i only had one leg done and to date PT never asked me and i am only a week behind you. I can rise from a seat but i know that good knee is always supporting my replacement one. Sit to your guns. As you already do start high and gradually lower seat level bit by bit as you are comfortable and you will do it. Who cares if is is a few weeks after your PT wants....dont see any rush....vetter than a set back
 
  • Agree
Reactions: CAB
In 8 weeks of PT I was never asked to do a sit to stand. It was months before I could get up from a seat without pushing up with my hands. I’m 19 months and still need my hands getting up from some seats, but not all. And who cares if you want to use your hands for the rest of your life, anyway!!!

Don’t tolerate verbal abuse like that from them. How dare they!

I would have been mad and upset also. :console2:

There will be no PT for me next time. Contrary to popular opinion, we can recover very well from knee replacement without it.
 
In physical therapy one size does not fit all. If you can’t do that particular exercise don’t do it. Stand your ground before you get hurt.
Can you find another therapist? That one needs to go.
Good luck!
 
Thanks for the replies. It helps knowing im not alone.
The rehab i go to is a large affair. Its a newish rehab hospital and is constantly full. And so mostly gets the outpatient rehab too.
There are always around 9 or more patients at each hourly time slot.
There are in patients and out patients together (although soon to be separated.) With more than enough PT to cope sometimes 2 per occasionally up to 4 per.
I am worried about reporting her. Everyone would know.
I think she might be in charge of the outpatient clients but i wish she would hand me on to someone else.
Ill just have to suck it up and stand my ground.
:tantrum2:
 
It may not do any good to report her. Stand your ground on what you don’t feel you can do. She cannot force you to do a sit to stand.

If she verbally abuses you again, or in any other way, like force bending your knee to show she’s in charge, tell her you will not tolerate that kind of treatment and that you are going to go somewhere else and walk out. Taking your business elsewhere will be the best way to go. Unfortunately, if they are that busy they won’t miss your income much, but you’ll do better somewhere else, even at home on your own.

PT is truly not essential and especially the “therapy” she is offering you is doing more harm than good, both physically and emotionally.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom