Guest viewing is limited

TKR Carole’s recovery thread

You reminded me of something my friend and I used to do. We' d be coming out of church and one of us would ask the one whaf they were going to have for dinner. Then the othe would answer, Spam. The guys woulx look at each othef and say. "Let's go to Leroy's. Worked like a charm.
 
I used my walker for approx. three weeks, then went to a cane for another three weeks or so. I can't use my cane in the "proper" way-which should be in my left hand since it was my right knee. I have to use it in my right hand-it works for me even though it's not the "proper" way. A PT once tried to teach me to use it in my left hand, but it wasn't happening. She told me I must be really strongly right brained; I don't know if there really is such a thing, I just know I can't walk with a cane in my left hand. But she agreed that I was perfectly safe the way I was walking and as long as it worked, it was fine. So, if you need to use it in your right hand, know that you're not alone in doing so. It worked for me and I felt safe in doing so.
 
During recovery, I use the crutch in my right hand for new right knee. That's because it acts as a guide to stop swinging my leg out and walking like Chester (Gunsmoke). I can also take a bit of weight off the knee when I need it.
Whatever suits the situation is the right way.
 
I just walked 8 steps without my walker at all, to carry a towel across the room. I was limping but just slightly, and I felt secure, steady, and safe while doing it. I did not feel at all unstable or wobbly, or as though I would fall.
Woohoo!!!!! :egypdance::spin::loveshwr:

That is a huge step! No pun intended. lol
Since you couldn't have any weight at all on your worse leg when you started, this is amazing.
Well done!

The thing about the cane is, you use it on the off side of your worse knee. At the moment, you're probably hard pressed to know if that's the surgery knee or the still waiting other knee. For now, I'd stick to the walker for any distance at all. But it's great to know you can.
 
Yes, it really amazes me! But you're right, I still have a lot of strength building to do before I ditch my walker completely (if that ever happens). Just 8 steps over and 8 steps back wore me out. I am not unhappy using a walker, but walking that far unaided sure opened my eyes to a lot of possibilities for the future that I hadn't thought about.

My goals thus far had been first to stop the worsening of my knees (since I was nearly in a wheelchair), and second to be able to walk farther so I could do things like go to the grocery store or go for a walk or exercise to help in weight loss. But doing things unaided would sure be some great icing on that cake.
 
Last edited:
I think once you have less pain, you'll be able to gain more strength and once you are stronger, I bet you'll be able to ditch the walker and maybe even leave the rollator at home for some daily life tasks.

Do you have access to a pool? The pool was my lifesaver for regaining lost strength. My health was really bad for a while and once it was better, I could barely walk even without considering my knees. I made water walking my regular exercise. The water supports you, and if you fall, well, you're just wet! If you get the ok for your surgeon, its something you might be able to do soon to build strength for the next round and get some exercise even with your other knee pending. Something to consider. I cant wait until October. I hope I'll get the ok for the pool right around when I get clearance to drive. I really miss it.
 
Carole, I'm absolutely certain that those 8 steps will soon become 16, then 32 etc etc
Our strength disappears remarkably quickly, but comes back quickly as well.

Have confidence in yourself

That walking in (or on) water sounds a great idea for you. For me, the biggest discomfort is when I apply weight, or a stretch to my joint. The water will enable you to build up the thigh and calf muscles without that discomfort.

Build up on your success!!
Good luck.
 
I loved the pool with my first knee too. There’s something still and supportive about being in water. I’ve been given the go ahead from next week and am so looking forward to it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@luvcats , I think you are right about gaining strength. I can hardly believe how much I have already gained in the past five weeks since my surgery, and if this keeps up I'll be in great shape. I do have access to a big pool, so I will need to try that. I might need to buy a new swimsuit first.

@Didot, I am so glad you are getting back in the pool too! Sounds great. :)

@Tykey 8 to 16 then 32? Pretty nice thought and possibly do-able. You are right that I need to build up those muscles, after spending most of my time in recent years sitting in a chair. But compared with other women my age, I have always been fairly big and strong so I guess what I am saying is that I have the genetics for good strong muscles if I start exercising them more.

Back when I was in my 50's and early 60's I loved using the weight lifting machines at my gym and did pretty well with them too. Getting strong again would add so much to my self concept and confidence. But I know that a 71-year-old woman who just had her knee replaced has no business attempting any serious weight lifting so I will be patient.
 
Walking in the pool has really helped me,too.

LOL, I’ve stopped buying new bathing suits. I buy new watershirts/rashguards instead. Zip up ones double as light shirt/jacket in the sun.

Look forward to hearing about your future waterwalks.
 
A PT once tried to teach me to use it in my left hand, but it wasn't happening. She told me I must be really strongly right brained; I don't know if there really is such a thing, I just know I can't walk with a cane in my left hand.
Years ago, after my first right knee surgery, my OS taught me to use my cane in my right hand with my hand leaning against my right hip as I walked. This has been the only way I can use a cane since then. It worked great for me and saved me from many falls! Use an assisted device whichever way it best helps you. Everyone of us is different!
 
Monday the elevator to my PT facility was broken, and I don't trust the rickety outside stairs to get up there so I called and cancelled my appointment.

Today I had PT again for the first time since last Thursday. I made it clear how far I would let them push me and did nothing beyond that point. I did much better at the exercises due to how much stronger my knee is now. All in all it seemed like a good PT session, but I'll find out if I "drew the line" in the right place tomorrow when I see how my knee reacted.

Much to my surprise, even after an active PT session I still had enough energy left to walk briskly to the car with my sweetie and then go out to eat with him. :wave: It is so much fun to have some energy; I must be getting my stamina back I guess. Anyway, I feel like I am regaining my nice normal retired life and I can DO things. I am no longer in "TKR jail", so to speak (you know what I mean!). Going out to lunch together has been normal for us over the past 20 years. I made a point of sitting with both feet flat on the ground, both while waiting for PT, and at the restaurant, just because I can. :yes:

What a nice day. :flwrysmile:Right now I am resting in my recliner and icing. It has been five weeks and one day since surgery. I have not needed any pain meds for a couple of weeks. Life seems much better this week and I think maybe I have turned the corner. Well, depending on whether my knee swells up like a water balloon overnight or not. :rotfl:

Oh, and also my sweetie finally agrees that I can probably shower safely even when alone in the house now. :loveshwr: My knee is really stable and strong.
 
What a super day you have had! Good for you putting your foot down on your PT exercises.
 
So pleased to read of the good progress you're making since I was last able to check in. :friends:
 
TKR 'jail' is a great image. So very true, and I'm glad you're out for now. Aren't all the little things, like being able to do PT and lunch, just the best feeling? I'm so pleased for you.

I hope your shot at the moving target of the ODIC line was spot on and today will be another excellent day.
 
WooHoo!! Excellent progress and what fun to have a sweetie to take you around and be by your side! Enjoy your time together and you will totally forget about the knee soon!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom