Guest viewing is limited

THR Carita's Recovery Thread

Thank you so much Hip. I'm needing lots of reassurance....your words are perfect for me tonight.

With gratitude,
Carita
 
The past year and a half was a big decline for me physically associated with hip osteoarthritis and my stamina really suffered.
Don't discount the impact of limping around pre-op. It can take awhile for muscles that have not been used properly to regain strength.

Very early days for you. Energy drain is a reality. Rest as much as you can. Your body is healing from all the trauma of surgery.
 
Thank you Jaycey. You are right....this is going to take time. My expectations were way off. I appreciate your reminder. Now, off for my post op visit and dressing removal.

Gratefully,
Carita
 
Carita, you are doing fine! My first hip tired me out immensely. I slept my way through so much of Monarch of the Glen on Netflix or Amazon that we watched the whole thing all over! I also found myself eating more, and craving protein, specifically animal protein. Mr ZF fixed us Costco salmon burgers or baked chicken breasts every blessed night for what seems now like months! And may have been. I also craved cheese, but that backfired severely. When I wished I myself could, er, backfire, the pipes was froze.... if you catch my drift.
I was so tired that when I first walked outside by myself, I'd just walk down three houses and back, down 4 houses, etc, to build up to the terrifying prospect of going around the block. Driving was the same. Mr ZF drove me the 40 mile one-way trip to my two week followup, but I knew I'd have to do the 7-week one alone. Interstate all the way. Very scary building up to that.
Second hip, oddly, was very different. I started back driving at two weeks with no fear. I think J felt seasoned. I knew that this or that pain was normal and a sign of overdoing it, stuff like that.
You will do really well!!
 
Hi @Carita I hope your post op visit went well. I imagine you are tired after your appointment today!
Try to enjoy the quiet time of your recovery,, I really enjoyed mine, especially with the first hip.
It was a great luxury to sleep when I wanted and have food served to me. :heehee:
Soon you will begin to see and feel progress. Sadly the exhaustion might just hang around for a while. but seriously, aren't naps a nice thing?

Enjoy your weekend, can't believe it's Memorial Weekend already.
 
I hope you are resting after your appointment. I should have reminded you to take ice packs in the car for the trip. I traveled with ice all the time. It helped with pain and also any swelling from the extra activities. I also iced at home pretty much constantly. Sweet dreams.
 
Carita, still following your recovery closely. Here at 7 pm Saturday night, I'm stretched out on my couch with ice pack on my back and my hip because I mowed for a couple hours today. For months now, my routine has been to do a couple of hours of physical work and then stretch out with ice, often involving a nap. It's really been bothering me that I have no energy, and I'm hoping that once I get my hip fixed (2 weeks!) and my body is in better shape, than the energy will soon return. My theory has been that my body has been overly compromised by all the arthritis, bone on bone on right hip with two labral tears. Sounds like your experience was the same. On the positive side, I can fall asleep very easily-- hope that remains after my surgery.
So... I am sending you positive vibes to help you get back to an active life!
 
Hi there :hi:
I hope you has a good post op visit yesterday, Carita and you’re resting comfortably today.
Let us know how it went when you’re feeling up to it.
Wishing you a peaceful Memorial weekend. :)
 
@Carita hope everything went well with your follow up. Yes, this recovery process takes a while and usually much longer than most of us would like. Patience is key. Take advantage of napping whenever, it really does help. Hope you have a peaceful weekend.
 
My goodness! Thank you all for reaching out when I needed you! So many messages of support from friends who have walked in these shoes. It is a comfort to read each of your words. My deep thanks.

Post op went well! Again no visitors so hubby dropped me and my trusty wheeled walker at the front door and I made the trek into the office building navigating the elevators and hallways. X Ray's taken, dressing removed, steri strips placed and exam completed. My surgeon is very soft spoken and gentle. He asked how I've been and I shared how hard this hit me both physically and emotionally, that I had not expected to be this down. He kindly listened which was just what I needed. His response: This is a big surgery and it takes time to heal. One can expect both physical and emotionsl challenges. Be patient! Rest. By 6 weeks out most people feel much better. By 4 months out even better. Again, patience! And I can forgo the support socks!

This is what all of you have learned and shared here. Why did I think I'd be immune to the process? Interesting, maybe it is how I coped with the anxiety I was having about surgery. I don't know. I'm just glad I am 13 days out, feel a bit better and have all of you with me.

Today I climbed down 5 stairs to my lovely back yard. I walked laps with my walker in the short driveway following CSTs suggestion to focus on proper gait. I sat in the sun, iced my hip and played cribbage with hubby. He brought out a picnic and we enjoyed the afternoon. Fatigue is less but weakness persists. Pain much improved and taking tylenol and celebrex for control. Icing round the clock.

So...that's me in a nutshell. Again, so grateful for each of you. From meal ideas, icing strategies, Netflix suggestions, muscle retraining ideas...you are all great! Thank you.
Warmly,
Carita
 
:wave:@Carita
Your surgeon sounds wonderful, and his words to you were spot on.
I think I was more emotional after week one....I was on a euphoric ride just being glad to be on the healing side, and then all of a sudden the reality of it all blindsided me.
It is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster and I'm guessing the pain meds contributed also.
It can be hard to be patient, but the time spent has a great payoff.
You're gonna love your new hip!

Hope today is a good day! :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you Mojo. Yes, a brief post op high then the pits. The body goes through many different cycles to reach wellness after a surgical trauma. I'm better yet feel the nag of those blues. Today is day 14....one day at a time!

Thank you for your kindness. So happy for your two healthy hips!

Carita
 
Happy Monday, @Carita
Well, it’s no fun to have a big gash in your leg, feel anxious, suffer pain and discomfort,
use assistive devices we equate with old people, to name only a few of the annoying inconveniences we may deal with in early recovery. You have to continually remind yourself that it’s only temporary and week by week you’ll feel stronger and less like a needy invalid.

I picked a day of the week, it was the weekend for me, and each week on that same day I’d look back at the progress I made over the previous week and it was steady. Suddenly the weeks start clicking on by and things start looking up. :happydance:
You’re on your way to brighter days :SUNsmile: HAPPY TWO WEEK ANNIVERSARY!
Sending a warm hug your way. :friends:
 
Thank you Layla. Taking your words to heart. Pretty tired and achey today...resting and icing.
Will start assessing one day a week and keep track....great suggestion.

Warmly,
Carita
 
I am glad you had good news at your post op visit and your surgeon sounds wonderful and so realistic. Your cribbage game outside with a picnic sounds great also. Keep enjoying your yard as time outdoors in nature lifts the spirit.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom