THR Carita's Recovery Thread

cstinchcomb

Country
United States United States
You go, girl. Pie, meatloaf, veg ... yippee. And yes, ambitious all at one time. Yum. I bet it was excellent and that you have leftovers. Hubby and I think that a stiff neck after a workout means that we are low on protein ... so you might have some extra today and see if that helps. And yes, that qualifies as a workout ...

OP
OP
Carita

Carita

Country
Hello hip friends! I'm laying in a sunny window at our beach cabin with ice on my 8 week old hip. I made it to two months! There were very rough days early on and you all held me with your supportive words, thank you!

Yesterday I puttered in my yard then an evening flat walk of one mile without a cane! It was the first time without a walking aid for an extended walk. I'm surprised how much more muscle power it took. I was ready for the couch when I got home. The very challenging hip joint pain is gone...it is such a relief. :SUNsmile:

I continue to ice a few times a day and have not needed any pain meds for about 3 weeks. I love my ice packs! I am seeing my PT once a week to work on calling in all the muscles that lost strength over the last year. She is very conservative as is my OS. I saw him last week and the exam went very well. He said I look great and to wait until 12 weeks before I engage in more active exercise. I have not attempted a sand walk as my body has given me clues I'm not ready for that. Our driveway here is long and a bit steep and I've been comfortable slowly navigating it with hubby's arm and my cane.

I have seen progress nearly every day and am so pleased. This is very different from the brain injury recovery which has taken years. I am deeply grateful.

Best to you all...thank you for this informative supportive forum. I will check in again soon.
With wellness,
Carita

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
What a wonderful update! Your recovery is so inspiring! You overcame some of the impatience of recovery and have persevered.
You are still early on with your healing, so keep that patience muscle activated... I loved reading the advice from your OS about taking it easy until 12 weeks.. :thumb:

Good on you! You are making this recovery thing look easy!

OP
OP
Carita

Carita

Country
Thank you for the kind words Cricket. You and others here emphasized patience and slow going when I was struggling with this early on. I am very appreciative for that advice.

In my excitement to report I forgot to share the ongoing challenges! Fatigue persists and sometimes I reach a point I have to drop what I'm doing and lay down. It's more of a physical fatigue, as if my body runs out of fuel. I'm eating very well throughout the day. My PT says it can last for months with joint replacements. True? Patience!

Another issue is a large area of numbness at the operative hip. I'm starting to have slight sensation to touch at the incision but my lateral thigh is completely numb midway to knee. I can fire my quads and use my leg though it does not feel fully stable and affects my balance. OS was not concerned so I'm working to befriend it!

Hip pain can present when climbing stairs which I imagine is not unusual for 2 months out. I also have a dozen or so sore spots that are adjusting to the new hardware and have been inactive a long while with the old arthritic hip.

From what I've read here all of these symptoms are not unusual. Settling into my new body with its restrictions and new ability is a discovery!

Many thanks,
Carita

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Yes, fatigue and energy drain are a huge part of our recoveries. You sound right on track with how your feeling.. :yawn:

I seem to recall that there were days when I would have to revert to taking the stairs one step at a time-even at 3 and 4 months- most likely on the days that I had been more active.

So yes, you are correct in thinking that your symptoms are normal and actually right on schedule!

Even with the lingering numbness along your lateral thigh, that can take it's own sweet time to recover and some say that they end up with a small amount of numbness that never goes away.
At that point, it is more of an irritation than a problem with any activities.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
A flower picked just for you :flwrysmile:
Hope today is special, even if it includes a nap. After all, you’re still healing.:)
Hugs
@Carita

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You have a great attitude and patience is paying off for you. It is all wonderful and doable when one remembers the awful pre op arthritis pain. Great update.

cstinchcomb

Country
Hi @Carita! Its so great to read that you are doing so well. At the beach, I bet it smells wonderful. :flwrysmile:

Sometime after my first hip, my massage therapist (a former dancer, with just the world's best posture, and two replaced hips) suggested that I keep stimulating the numb area to encourage the nerves to regenerate. The numb spot on my left (6 year old) hip shrank markedly over time. I got a spiky massage ball (also great for the feet) and used that for a long time. I am now using it on the new right one. Maybe that will help.

When I first met my current (new) surgeon, he asked about my numb spot on the left. I told him that at first I was horrified, and that now I didn't care one bit -- the replacement gave me my body back, almost entirely.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
waddler
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom