THR Carita's Recovery Thread

Ahhh. The “p” word: patience! Lol. We are always telling ourselves we need to be doing more. This is the time you get to let yourself off the hook. I have found if you don’t, your body will be happy to remind you in a not so subtle and uncomfortable way. So “enjoy” it while you can. There will be plenty of time later to get back to over achiever status. :) ❤️
 
Thank you Hip. Seems I need lots of reminders!

Carita
 
The biggest muscle you need to exercise is your patience muscle @Carita. It's a tough one for all of us but using it will be your best friend in recovery. It gets even harder to use the better you feel, most of us have overdone it around week 2-3 and ended up in the Over Did It Club (ODIC):bignono:. A word of caution, when you over do it your hip won't complain at the time, but that night or the next day :yikes: . Stick to the activity progression chart and soon you'll be amazed at how good you feel.:egypdance:
 
Thank you FC....keep the reminders coming my way! Your experiences keep me on track and encouraged.
Thank you!
Carita
 
Thank you FC! I need these wise words! Seems I'm not the only impatient hip recovery story out there. I'm following all of you and call on your wisdom.

Thank you,
Carita
 
Just like the tortoise and the hare, slow and steady wins the race. Patience is needed and listening to one's body even when we want to do too much or think we feel great right now and pushing more. It will come and so much better without set backs.
 
Thank you Leejaa. I am focusing on letting all expectations go. Those around where I should be in recovery are speaking the loudest! There is such a wide variation of normal in healing timelines. My OS reminded me of this multiple times saying patience is an absolute necessity.

Hubby is supportive and has taken over all household chores. We have very different levels of acceptance about cleaning. I vacuum several times a week, he may do it once every two weeks. Sweeping? What's that??? So....letting this go too! Unless the dog hair becomes a wheeled walker hazard it will have to build up!! It actually did gather on the rubber stoppers....oh well!

Nearly weaned from the oxy as Tylenol and Celebrex seem adequate. Biggest symptoms are generalized fatigue and weakness. L thigh remains numb and feels unstable with full weight. Walking slowly with walker, heel toe gait. Have yet to venture upstairs. Icing, elevating, hydrating, Netflixing....like all of you in early recovery.

Follow up with OS Friday for dressing removal. Some bruising and swelling. I'm sure he will again remind me of patience.

Sending well wishes to all. Thank you for your support. One day at a time!

Carita
 
Yes, one learns to pick ones battles regarding cleaning when one cannot do it and should not push to do it. We have a dog that sheds non stop so dog hair just seems to be part of life no matter how often I vacuum. We have a robo vac that at least picks up most of the hair nightly and it helped when I could not vacuum to at least keep the hair somewhat under control. I swear I could build another dog from the amount he sheds but he is such a love that it is all worth it. The generalized fatigue is a sign your body is using lots of your energy to heal and as you know it will pass.
 
Leejaa, I feel the same about our girl...the shedding is a minor inconvenience. We got her last year in Baja Mexico. She had been dumped on a beach and left to fend for herself. A kind person brought her to a local shelter where I had been volunteering. I fell for her immediately and agreed to foster her until she could be adopted. It didn't take long before hubby and I decided she needed to be ours. We had just lost our lab to cancer and this new sweet girl helped mend our hearts. Shed away little one!! I may get a robo vac!

Thank you for the reminders of fatigue. How can a 50 foot walk be so exhausting?! Yes, I am healing and this will pass! Day 10!

Warmly,
Carita
 
Thoughts on Housekeeping

Vacuuming too often weakens the carpet fibers. Say this with a serious face, and shudder delicately whenever anyone mentions Carpet Fresh.

Dust bunnies can evolve into dust rhinos when disturbed. Rename the area under the couch "The Galapagos Islands" and claim an ecological exemption.

Layers of dirty film on windows and screens provide a helpful filter against harmful and aging rays from the sun. Call it an SPF factor of 5 and leave it alone.

Cobwebs artfully draped over lampshades reduces the glare from the bulb, thereby creating a romantic atmosphere. If your spouse points out that the light fixtures need dusting, simply look affronted and exclaim, "What? And spoil the mood?"

In a pinch, you can always claim that the haphazard tower of unread magazines and newspapers next to your chair provides the valuable Feng Shui aspect of a tiger, thereby reducing your vulnerability. Roll your eyes when you say this.

Explain the mound of pet hair brushed up against the doorways by claiming you are collecting it there to use for stuffing hand-sewn play animals for underprivileged children.

If unexpected company is coming, pile everything unsightly into one room and close the door. As you show your guests through your tidy home, rattle the door knob vigorously, fake a growl and say, "I'd love you to see our Den, but Fluffy hates to be disturbed and the shots are SO expensive."

Don't bother repainting. Simply scribble lightly over a dirty wall with an assortment of crayons, and try to muster a glint of tears as you say, "Junior did this the week before that unspeakable accident...I haven't had the heart to clean it..."

Mix one-quarter cup pine-scented household cleaner with four cups of water in a spray bottle. Mist the air lightly. Leave dampened rags in conspicuous locations. Develop an exhausted look, throw yourself onto the couch, and sigh, "I clean and I clean and I still don't get anywhere..."
 
That is so good @FCBayern it deserves a spot somewhere In the Social Room for all who are troubled by their messy homes and inability to do anything about it during recovery.
Love it!!
 
I have a graphic to go with your Thoughts on Housekeeping, @FCBayern -

[Bonesmart.org] Carita's Recovery Thread

Dust bunnies are proof that you're resting properly.
 
Wonderful! I’m sure it will bring many a good laugh in the years to come. Thank you for sharing.
@FCBayern
 
How is your day going, Carita?
 
You are kind to ask Layla, thank you. I'm hanging in there. Hoping I feel more pep and strength soon. L hip feels so unstable, as if there is little muscular support around the joint. I suppose it makes sense at 10 days out. I just hoped I would be that exceptional case who at 2 weeks walked with ease. I'm a long way from that! I'm still on the chair/couch/bathroom/kitchen schedule. Icing and elevating. Using walker.

The past year and a half was a big decline for me physically associated with hip osteoarthritis and my stamina really suffered. I know that plays a part here too. Patience!!

Thank you for asking.

Warmly,
Carita
 
You bet it does, Carita! Your timeline was very similar to mine. As much as we both would have loved to be that poster child, it will most likely be a road of ups and downs and probably somewhat slower as it was for me. Good news! You will be in good company with lots of folks who can relate. Lol. Just keep doing the best you can and taking good care of yourself. I haven't heard of anyone being viciously attacked by dust bunnies. :heehee:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom