Guest viewing is limited

TKR Careful what you wish for

@Reebok

It is always good to hear the real experience of someone who has returned to work and there maybe those reading your posts, will now consider when they are ready to go back to work.

You were 16th, I was 17th July, and I couldn't think that for me, I would be ready for work at week 8 post- op.
But, each of us has to decide that for themselves.

As someone else in another post said, it's not just the time at work, but all the before & after getting to work that also has to be considered.

You also have to factor in the getting ready in the morning time at home before leaving.
Then driving to work.
Working day.
Then driving back home after a day at work
Then chilling for a bit.
Dinner
Reading, telly, chatting with family after dinner.
Getting ready for bed.
Hopefully, falling into deep sleep and not waking up too often during the night.
Waking up the next morning
Doing it all over again !

Reebok, no wonder you're exhausted at the end of the day.
As you say, you will get through it. But, one day at a time.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@Reebok Hubby says lack of sleep in some ways is the worse part of recovering from TKR. He is doing better after knee 2 than he did with knee 1. Still isn't sleeping all night through, but getting more sleep over all. Benadryl seems to be helping some. Have a great day, hope you get sleep soon.
 
And then today, rom has increased, or just seemed easier,
Pain at back or knee on outside has subsided heaps.
I felt like I could stroll along instead of limping.

Leg feels straighter lying down.

Maybe I passed the barrier?

So will try five days at work next week, with the option of skipping a day if needed.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Reebok That's encouraging to me! I'm a couple of weeks behind you. This gives me hope that I may be close to better days! Thanks for posting your good news, and congratulations!
 
I spent yesterday at an air show about three hrs drive away.
Was able to use cruise control and place my foot flat on the floor. Nice to be comfortable.
Spent the morning just being a normal person.
Tired by about 2 o'clock, and the three hr drive home want as enjoyable as the drive up.
LOL in bed by 9:30, just drained.
Today woke up brighter than I thought I would be.
Will relax a bit today, and prepare for a weeks work ahead.
Life is getting better.





Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Reebok
Enjoy your weekend and great to have time to feel like a "normal person" .

Have a good week ahead.,

Cathie
 
On days off from work have developed a habit of just doing stretching and flexing, and NOT exercising as such.
Interestingly enough, my bending, and general usage of my knee seem to be better the day after having a rest day.

I believe that the best thing you can do for your knee is to try to be 'normal'. I mean walk properly, not favouring the new knee, and using stairs in a proper manner rather than not moving straight forward with the new knee when going up and down.

I of course may be wrong!

But it seems to be working for me.
I am spending five minutes twice a day on the exercise bike, concentrating on bending rather than exercising on the bike.
I have lowered the seat somewhat, in an effort to get more bend.
Still icing of an evening.

Lets see.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Reebok,

I think that your approach makes a lot of sense and I've been doing something similar some days.
Not a full rest day, but like you approaching the knee with normal activities, but with a bit more concentration.

Ice is still my nightly 'tipple'

Take care and good update on your progress,

Cathie
 
Reebok.....you have discovered "the truth of the BoneSmart way!" Congratulations on your progress.
 
Had what could have been a disaster today.

I have worn motorcycle type boots for the past 40 yrs. steel caps, thick leather, and they weigh approx 2 kg.
Since my tkr i have been wearing lightweight shoes with laces.
Today I was doing up the laces and broke them!
No spares, and gonna be late for work.
So, on with the heavy boots.
Of course, they also have cuban heels which I have not worn for nine weeks. You have to lift your feet more! Especially on steps.

I did manage to last the day, but it was a relief to take them off at the end of the day.
I did however buy more laces on the way home, and will wear the shoes again for the next few weeks.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Reebok I bet you were hurting by the end of the day! As heavy as the boots are that was enough exercise for a few days at least!
 
Well, now you've had a workout! Glad you got through the day okay with those clunky boots.
 
Back to the lightweight shoes today.
But i believe the clunky heavy boots are good for getting extra rom, as they force you to lift your foot more when walking, and especially climbing stairs.
But not everyday yet.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Reebok Thank you for sharing your journey. I am sure I will struggle with the when to return to work question. I have a desk job so I will be able to ice during the day. My OS said 6-8 weeks. I will push for the full 8 weeks especially reading your experience. Sorry you got stuck in traffic so long. My normal commute is 45 mins each way.
 
@Reebok

Hi, just stopping by to say 'Hello'.

Interesting about the boots, I've only been wearing runners or light Velcro sandals.
May try some heavier shoes around the house, as winter is approaching and need to get uses to a heavier shoes.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Another week of work, and another week of slow improvement.
Stairs seem to be easier, and I have been able to get full rotations on the exercise bike AND keep the ball of my foot on the pedal.
Slow squats using a large inflatable ball at my back, against a wall are easier. Seems that slow deliberate stretching is better, and cause less problems with other issues.
Sleep deprivation is an issue, but I am managing that, I think.

Slowly slowly approaching normalcy.
First steps out of bed in the morning are a struggle, but soon loosens up.
Still icing each evening. At ten weeks now, the future looks bright.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom