TKR Can't straighten leg or walk eleven weeks post op

Hello @Jamie and @Jaycey,

When, five months after my TKR, it was realised that I had problems with my recovery, the surgeon who performed the TKR, suggested that the pain around the knee, that was preventing me walking, could be due to hip problems (I have dysplastic hips) and I was referred to a hip surgeon.

This surgeon, with the aid of X-ray and MRI analyses ruled out hip pathology as a cause of pain.

Subsequently, in January last year, I saw another knee surgeon, who advised that my pain is likely due to more than one reason: muscle spasm due to spastic cerebral palsy, a fixed flexion deformity in the knee and an unsurfaced patella. (I would comment that until the onset of knee pain a year or two before my TKR, throughout my life, I had no trouble with knee pain whatsoever and I was quite active.)

This surgeon suggested that "further interventions are unlikely to be helpful and there is a potential to complicate things further." He advised stretching exercises and suggested that my GP referred me to a neurologist to see if botulinum injections might help. Due to Covid and to some extent disbelief that botulin injections would help, I have not proceeded further.

The pain is always around and seemingly under the kneecap it varies in its position around the cap sometimes top, bottom either side or central. The pain is always at it's worst after sitting but reduces to whatever daily level it is at, within a moment or two of "walking". I try very hard to "work" the knee but I do find that if I overdo it then I have to take it easy for a few days. I reckon that I can support about 2/3 to 3/4 of my body weight on my right leg alone before the pain is to intense to go further.

On occasion, I have managed to take several, faltering steps without support, but there is no consistency in how often I can do this or how many steps I can take.

I am therefore used to intense optimism being followed by equally intense disappointment!

I must admit, after this time, to be somewhat worn down and also to be really worried about all the extra work that it is causing my wife and the effect that it is having on her. She too is also starting to suffer from painful knees. The thought of further surgery does not appeal to me unless I could get a reasonable guarantee of success. Certainly the waiting times on our NHS are likely to be long but given a good chance of success and if it was not to expensive then I would pay for a private operation.

Quite honestly I do not know what to do for the best.

Kindest Regards,
Jim
 
Hello everyone,My recovery seems to have stalled and has now gone from dead slow to stop! I have spoken with my GP who is referring me back to the surgeon who did the original replacement to see if a revision is necessary.
The quite intense pain I feel when putting weight on the knee seems to me to be entirely from under the kneecap or in that region.
I know that when my replacement was carried out the kneecap was not lined.
I wonder if it can now be lined or even replaced or removed and if the kneecap is the source of my pain.
What do you think?
Thanks & Regards,
Jim:loll:
 
Jim, I don't think any of us can answer your question. If only! I remember another member back during my original TKR who had a heckuva time getting hers sorted out. I think she ended up with three surgeries total; the third one was the charm, and with a different surgeon. Hopefully the surgeon who will potential revise you knee has the skill set for revision. I went through plenty of trouble after my original TKR but not as much as you. I do understand about getting worn down. I just had a (second) revision, and that's just the tip of the iceberg (without going into details).
 
Jim, I'm so sorry to hear of your continuing problems with your knee. It is possible to add a patellar button after a knee replacement is done, but I suspect because of the length of time that you've had these problems, a surgeon may decide that it's best to replace the entire knee implant. It might be difficult to get proper tracking of your resurfaced patella on an old implant.

Only you can make the choice of having additional surgery or not. It's a risk that things might not improve. But quality of life can be a strong motivator and it may be worth a try for you. I'm not sure you should be going back to your original surgeon, though. You know, you have options within the NHS system and you can request to see a different surgeon. You can even request a specific doctor. Given your history, you're going to need a very skilled revision specialist, no matter what is actually proposed in terms of the procedure. You might need to travel a bit to see someone like this....perhaps to London.

If you'd like some assistance with surgeon recommendations, @Jaycey may be able to help you.
 
Thank thank you for the replies. I'd rather hoped that work on the kneecap would be relatively simple. I would prefer a different surgeon but my GP said I should see the one who did the replacement. I certainly do not relish travelling to London and I doubt I could afford London prices. I am 78 and would have to use a wheelchair. I feel pretty glum now, but let's hope I get a good result.
 
Sorry to hear this @JamesAB. Very dispiriting for you. It all sounds awful for you. I would say that my daughter had terrible problems with her jaw and was amazed by the instant relief she got from a botulinum toxin injection. It really relaxed the muscle and has stayed fine ever since. I've also seen it work well in a client where I worked who had terrible torticollis. Could be worth your while going ahead with the injection. Doesn't sound like you have much to lose by it and it could make a significant improvement.
Good luck and best wishes.
 
but my GP said I should see the one who did the replacement
Not sure why your GP is recommending this. I would not go that route at all. You need to see someone who has experience in revision surgery.

I had my first THR in Kent. Let me know if you want a recommendation for a more "local" surgeon.
 
As pain has a neurological basis why not see a neurologist? It's got to be worth a try. Easing muscle spasm would be well worth it.
 
As pain has a neurological basis why not see a neurologist? It's got to be worth a try. Easing muscle spasm would be well worth it.
I had a telephone call with one (due to Covid) he was not that enthusiastic saying "It might do some good, it might make things worse. He was referring to Botulin injections.
 
Sounds like no one wants to commit themselves one way or another. Commiserations on your frustrating situation.
 
Last edited:
but my GP said I should see the one who did the replacement
Not sure why your GP is recommending this. I would not go that route at all. You need to see someone who has experience in revision surgery.

I had my first THR in Kent. Let me know if you want a recommendation for a more "local" surgeon.

Finding someone who specialises in revision is not easy so far. I have been told that surgeons don't like interfering in someone else's work! To know of a surgeon that would do a revision particularly if he would look carefully to see if it is a kneecap problem, would be good
 
All I want is to be pointed in the right direction. Once I know where that is, I'll move Heaven and Earth to get there.
 
Last edited:
I can highly recommend Mr Helmut Zahn. He is a knee and hip surgeon and does both private and NHS practice.

What I did was book a private consultation with him. He spent quite a bit of time with me discussing the way forward. My hip was already collapsed by the time I saw him. So it was a bit more complex surgery. I then got on his NHS surgery list. I found him very approachable and caring and I notice he is still getting very good reviews.
 
I can highly recommend Mr Helmut Zahn. He is a knee and hip surgeon and does both private and NHS practice.
Just up the road from me! If I don't get any satisfaction from my current surgeon, I'll give him a try.

Thank You
 
I hear your frustration with walking but sounds as though you have had more to deal with. I too, struggle to walk, now 10wks almost 11, still shuffling on two crutches, not leaving the house much. I am trying to do strengthening exercises and bike as much as I can. I have also been practicing just standing - trying to put my weight on 30 secs and build. I now do 2 mins, and try and walk (with crutches) for a few steps after.
I have to bumshuffle to get outside and down our step but the sunshine and moments in nature are good. Some of us take longer to heal, I know it is hard to hear of others quick and miraculous journies. I feel that sometime too, I am only 51 have put my job and family on hold and am aware of ticking time. But then I stop and remind myself of all I have to be thankful for, it will be ok. Wishing you well
 
@Moone Thank you and I wish you all the luck in the world for a speedy recovery. It is indeed a long journey for me but I still hold out hope that I will be able to walk unaided at some time in the future even if it needs Revision Surgery to accomplish this.
Kind Regards
Jim
 
Just been referred to an orthopaedic clinic (but no date given.) I thought GP was referring me back to Surgeon that did my TKR, so now I don't know who I'll see. last consultant I saw at this clinic said he would never have given me a TKR and there was nothing that could be done now!
And so it grinds on!
 
Ask your surgeon to refer you to Helmut Zahn. You have nothing to lose!
 
Back
Top Bottom