TKR Can't straighten leg or walk eleven weeks post op

Being able to go out without the wheelchair is a big step forwards. I'm glad for you.
This has been such a long recovery for you, but it's good to learn you're still making progress - that shows there's still more improvement to come.
 
According to consultant surgeon that I saw this morning: "I would never have given you a knee replacement and if I did, would of lined your kneecap."
Considering that, fourteen months after the replacement, I can only walk a few yards with the aid of a Walker. Creek, paddle, without, up and Gum Tree come to mind.
Still I am improving albeit slowly, I can but hope it continues.
 
In a report to my GP, the surgeon has suggested I be referred to a neurologist to see if botulinum injections for a suspected muscle spasm would be appropriate. Not sure about this but I'll give it a go!
 
Hi, haven't had any thing to say for a while now but I was able to post this to my family and friends on FB a couple of days ago:

" I've just walked a dozen or so steps in the kitchen, completely unaided and lifting my feet of the floor. I could, quite easily done more. Whilst this may seem totally unremarkable to most people, since my rather problematical knee replacement in November 2018, I have been only able to get about either in a wheelchair or, since about May last year, with the aid of a Zimmer and then a Walker.

I have got used to telling people that slowly, very slowly my leg/knee is getting stronger without producing any demonstrable proof. I have always been optimistic about my situation and despite numerous reverses, I have never given up the hope and belief that, one day I would be able to walk unaided and without pain.

So now, at last I can say: I TOLD YOU SO! "

Kind Regards, Jim

PS The botulinum treatment was not thought to be appropriate.

PPS Just recovering from the REZUM procedure for BPH. It never rains...
 
I am very excited about those steps you took!!! :happydance:
 
Congratulations , your story made me happy, because you never gave up and have been through so much and you recently got your reward by taking those new steps into your future.
Cheers :martini:
 
" I've just walked a dozen or so steps in the kitchen, completely unaided and lifting my feet of the floor. I could, quite easily done more. Whilst this may seem totally unremarkable to most people, since my rather problematical knee replacement in November 2018, I have been only able to get about either in a wheelchair or, since about May last year, with the aid of a Zimmer and then a Walker.

I have got used to telling people that slowly, very slowly my leg/knee is getting stronger without producing any demonstrable proof. I have always been optimistic about my situation and despite numerous reverses, I have never given up the hope and belief that, one day I would be able to walk unaided and without pain.

So now, at last I can say: I TOLD YOU SO! "
@JamesAB - I am so pleased to read you have improved so much. This is great news! :yes!: :yay::dancy::spin:

I'm so pleased for you.
 
Yay! This is wonderful news! I knew you could do it!
 
Hello everyone. It is now two years and five months after I had a right TKR. In October, last year, I wrote how I'd managed to walk a few steps unaided in the kitchen. Since then the situation has not significantly improved and I have rarely been able to repeat the exercise. I have always tried to be optimistic but although I can furniture hop reasonably well, I cannot put my full weight on the leg without pain. Sitting, sleeping I have no pain whatsoever. The leg is almost as straight as it ever was (It never has been fully straight - without me applying some force - because I was born with mild cerebral palsy.) It hurts most when leading with it going up the stairs. There is quite a lot of variation in the pain intensity which seems to be under the kneecap (not lined in surgery) I am now starting to feel that it is not going to get any better and that I will be stuck with a Walker and wheelchair for the rest of my life. I am nearly 78 but I feel (apart from the knee) very much younger. It is getting harder to avoid depression and I really don't know what to do. I was told that additional surgery was not an option. Any ideas?
 
Hello @JamesAB
It's good to hear from you again, but not good to hear that your progress seems to have stalled. I'm sorry about that.

Have you been back to see your surgeon again? If your kneecap pain gets worse, it might be possible to replace its damaged cartilage with a plastic button but, short of that, I don't think a revision of the rest of your TKR would be of any help.

Are you still going to PT? IF so, what does your therapist say?

I remember that your mobility was impaired before your TKR. How does your current mobility compare with that?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Best wishes,
Celle
 
So sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with your recovery. What is the reason you've been given for not having any additional surgery? If it's arthritis in the knee cap area, surgery to put a plastic button in is the only way to stop the pain.

Where is the pain when you try to weight bear on your leg? And have you gotten any word from your surgeon as to what might be the cause of the pain?

It may be that you need to seek out some additional opinions from specialists in London. I don't know if that is where your original surgeon is, but it would be a good idea to go to a facility other than where he is located to get a truly independent opinion. Please let us know how things go. As I'm sure you're aware, you have a unique and somewhat challenging case. But don't give up!
 
I was told that additional surgery was not an option.
Maybe it's not an option with your current surgeon. But I agree with Jamie and Celle - you need a specialist who does not have any connection to your current surgeon.
 
Hello @Celle,
I stopped having PT at least a year ago. The exercises I was doing were no more than I was doing at home. My mobility is, even now, very much worse than before the TKR. Before I could walk with a stick with some discomfort, Now I can only walk with a walker with discomfort or pain.

Kindest Regards,

Jim
 
Jim,

I'm with all the other staff who've posted here. There has to be something wrong, this surgery would not happen if outcomes like yours were common. Please, find more opinions.

There is a chap called Paul Allen who works at Harlow in Essex who I've heard good things about. He may not be the right person (I don't know how he is on revisions, but he comes highly recommended for 1st TKRs) but he will surely know who is. It's a start?
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom