TKR Can't sleep at night after knee replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Housework is overrated. You sweep, you scrub, you dust, you straighten, you vacuum--and six months later you have to do it all again!:rofsign:
(courtesy of Joan Rivers, ca. mid-1970s)
 
You will be glad you did!! :yay: I fill mine to the line inside, and keep a couple of frozen water bottles inside. Keep a couple of spares in your freezer for quick changes. Even have a couple in the freezer at work. Once the cuff is on and filled with that nice cold water, the velcro holds it in place and you can walk around pain free. Put it on at bedtime, and once it starts to get warm, (you will still wake up in a couple of hours) hook up the hose, lift your leg to drain the cuff back into the cooler, shake the cooler to stir up the water again, and lift the cooler up to load the cuff. Disconnect the hose and back in business, and off to sleep.... Good luck. Hope it works as well for you as it has for me.
 
Thanks everyone for your advice. I decided to take this week off and reevaluate the following week - I need REST! I'm also trying not to worry about my flexion - I guess I think it should be farther along, and my physical therapist keeps hinting that I need to "work it more" (whatever that means). I get 110 degrees unassisted, but it seems stuck there the past week or so. My knee is very tight and seems swollen. I finally ordered a CryoCuff and plan to use that most of the time I'm home - so hopefully, things will get better. Have any of you found that icing it lets you get increased flexion?
 
Hey there Kauai... I too was an overachiever.. worse probably than you, because my job was one I could do from home I actually started working from home at week 3!! Now mind you I am NOT recommending any of this, I have paid.. especially having both knees done at the same time.. lessons are being learned everyday and most of them with Josephine advice and help as well as many more bone smart friends I am making! I went back into the office supposedly "part-time" at 6 weeks... boy was I bushed! I am now scaling back to 6 hours max a day int he office... most of my work is at my desk but I do get up and down about once an hour... my sleep is just like yours, I take 2 percosets at bedtime, usually 930p - 10p and then I am awake around midnight because one of the knees is stiff or sore, shift around and then wake again every hour to 2 hours, I have found that a nice wedge in my bed and ice paks ready to go help to get me to relax and back to sleep... trying to ween myself off the percosets and switch to tylenol extra strength only because I have found I now run a fever most times and every night in bed I am very warm to the touch says my husband (who has been a rock and so supportive thank god!) I fear the kidneys are taking a toll now... got a doctor appt with GP this afternoon to find out more about these new symptoms.. we shall see..
I have also considered taking a "time off" again from work but we would be without my paycheck if I did as I have already exhausted my PTO and didn't have short term disability unfortunately.
I did decide after having my current PT push me again and make me feel inadequate when he measured me and my left knee went backwards to 105 from 110 due to his force 2 days prior that I was changing places, I called the doc and asked for referral to new location and start next week.. so this week I recover and do my stretches, I borrowed a stationary bike from a friend and will do as Josephine suggested 15 min in the morning and 15 min at night... ice and elevate when at home... but my friend we are doing very well at 8 weeks and as most say we are doing more each week than the week before and thats what I willmeasure against not that stupid plastic thing that makes me cry! :-)
Hang in there and good for you on the break from work ... get some rest!
 
Today is my six week mark since my bi-lateral TKR. I have not had a decent nights sleep for a long time. However, I tried something the last two nights and it is working really well. I read an article that stated that one problem with TKR patients is that the scare is very sensitive and will keep you awake with even the slightest touch from your sheets. So at the suggestion of this article, as I was getting ready for bed, I rubbed a skin cream on the scare and then wrap the area with some type of cling wrap, such as Glad Wrap. I did both knees and went above and below the top and bottom of the scare by 2 to 3 inches. I went around my leg probably 3 to 4 times. IT WAS AMAZING!!!! The first time I got 4 to 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep in months. I slept on my side, with a pillow between my legs, I even slept on my stomach for about an hour. It's been two nights and worth. I did call my Doctor to see if there was a problem and he stated that having it covered for a nights sleep would be fine. I thought this was a little strange until I tried it.
 
Easing off on the knee may be just what you need. You won't get the bend if you make the knee angry and swollen. :tantrum: 110 is actually good. And I'd be bursting into tears too if I wasn't sleeping.
 
How long should I expect complete exhaustion during the day? The pain is very tolerable during the day, but the day-time exhaustion is overwhelming. I'm sure a big part of that is the sleep problems I'm having, but does anyone have an idea how long I should expect this to last? I went back to work full-time two weeks ago (I'm 9 weeks post op), but am completely exhausted - had to take this week off. Any advice?
 
Kauai I am sure it depends on your activity level and the amount of resources your body is using to heal... I am going thru the exact same as you right now, my Bilateral TKR's were done one week after yours, today I had to go see my OS because I have been running a low grade fever around 99-100 for the past week and half, he said I am doing too much and need to relax and ice more ... he made me stay home from work today and tomorrow and wants to see me back in his office Monday to see how I am doing then... so the answer is .. as long as our bodies require to heal, I do know each day I think I am a little stronger.. maybe by 5 min each day.. LOL
 
I discovered that a pool near where I work has steps to enter/exit the pool and I'd like to start swimming exercises. Aside from swimming laps, do any of you out there have recommendations on good exercises to do in the pool? I'm all ears!
 
Water walking is superb. Go forwards, backwards and sideways. Make sure you use correct heel-toe gait. Marching in place, lunges and squats are all great. Stretching in a hot tub afterwards will help your ROM.
 
I would agree with all the ElanorG activities. You may want to use a noodle and keep your feet off the bottom of the pool to do simulated walking, lifting your knees as high as you can. This helps activate your hip flexor muscles. Also, a bit later, treading water adds a rotational component to the knee movement.
Believe you can,
David
 
I'd also like to add that the pool will make your whole body feel great. Lots of time after this surgery you have aches and pains and tension in all sorts of places other than your knee. The pool can really help those relax and ease. And because it is no impact, it won't hurt other joints that may also be suffereing.
 
go for it i have just come back from baths i am now back to my 40 leangth took some doing but i go 3 times a week.Kneeling in pool i think helped me and also deep end holding on side and pulling body to side bending knee and holding pressure on also swimming on back just using legs.What ever you do helps though as it is all very low impact and big plus side both my grandkids 5 and 8 love swimming and grandad being a great white shark chasing them in pool.
 
Being in the water early on helped with my movement. I live on a lake and in the summer I spend most of my time in there. I had both tkrs in the summer and my incisions healed really well so I was back in the water by around 12-15 days post-op. Flexion seems to be easier in the water, and it is nice to have a place where you don't hurt when you move.
I took a water therapy class with a PT and we did a lot of kicking and bicycling in the water while holding on to the edge. We also did a lot of walking and "running".
I swim a lot now and have found that it helps with pain and mobility. I swim laps, but I also take time to walk back and forth. If you enjoy swimming and can get into a pool, I would encourage it!
 
I read this thread last night while I couldn't sleep. I'm nodding my head in agreement with all your posts.I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op and the burning pain keeps me up at night. Right after my surgery I had a stiff calf.It felt like I had a permanent charlie horse. My doctor says all this is normal. I did not have any of this with my first TKR. It's so true when they say every knee is different.The recovery on my first knee was a piece of cake compared to this one.I know it will get better. Meanwhile I belong to the night owl club with you all.
 
Wall Slides.... Get into the shallow end (about 3 1/2') depending on your height. Put your back to the wall, plant your feet, and slide your butt down as far as you COMFORTABLY can, (try and get your shoulders into the water) and hold it for about 30 seconds and repeat. Do this about 10 times, and then relax, so you can regain enough energy to get out!! Surprisingly this can be pretty tough at first.
 
i am 1 month post op on Monday.....i am thinking that maybe going to the ymca warm pool would help with my
knee flexing...incision is healing beautifully... cant wait to see surgeon on Tues to see if thats okay...
 
[Bonesmart.org] Can't sleep at night after knee replacement
 
The fatigue will last a while and you're pushing yourself a bit by being back at work so that probably contributes. How was your blood count after the surgery? If you're at all anemic that would make the fatigue worse.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom