TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

Hi Canadian girl...I'm a Canadian guy that had a LTRK on Oct 21...it's now Dec 4 and I am just considering going back to work part time in the next few weeks.

My boss (and others in my company) also said he was expecting me back in 2 to 3 weeks...that he had knee surgery and he was back in 2 weeks (he had arthroscopic surgery). I explained TKR is a totally different game...they didn't believe me but I think they do now...two doctors told them that it would be easily 3 months before I was back full-time and they're pretty much right on.

Don't let anybody tell you what you "should do" or "how your body should react"...everyone is different...take it day by day.


Hi everyone.

... My boss is expecting me back at work in between. He says he knows people that have returned to work after two weeks. I think I may have to give him some of my meds :)

Have a great night!

Lisa
LTKR May 5, 2014
9
 
Hi Canadian Girl, I am not expecting to be back at work any less than three months at this stage.
I initially told my work 6-8 weeks but realistically it will be when I am able to cope, I too work part time two days a week and standing all day.
I really do not think people realise what one has had done in regards to a TKR and when it is explained they still do not get what one is going through.
My recovery like yours is at my pace and my health is more important than rushing a return to work.
Stick to the plan and you will get there, all the best from kiwi land:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I wonder how many people are still on the forum regularly?

Hi everyone,

Sorry I have not kept up with the board. I think of you all very often. I took some time away to focus on my rehab and have been meaning to update but life gets in the way....no excuse really but it's all I have. :)

So a quick update on things. I celebrated 25 years of marriage on May 5th along with my first anniversary of my left TKR. The left knee continues to do well though my hip is quite tender lately. The first year anniversary for my right TKR is coming up on July 2nd. I have been in physio twice a week since then. I have decided to give it a rest as of last Thursday. I am a past 90 degrees but not by much. I see my surgeon in mid June so I will see what he thinks but I may have to come to terms that this may be as good as it gets. I no longer have knee pain but I still have a lot of muscle and tendon pain and I still get very stiff.

I walk 5 kilometres at least 4 times per week and my legs are getting stronger but I have to make sure I give myself time in between the walks. I am looking into getting a membership at a new club that does barre workouts (a blend of yoga and ballet that is done upright more than on the floor). I still have issues getting up and down from the floor.

I started a new job at the beginning of the month. Finally took the plunge and OMG it is a brand new outlook. I work from home, though I am out at client meetings quite often. I am no longer micro-managed and I feel like an adult that knows what she is doing. It is so refreshing. I took a significant hit on my annual salary but I am no longer 100% commission. I figure the way things were join in the industry, my commissions were going down anyway. And, it was not about the money. I feel more respected and supported and I am home when my kids get off the bus (if I am not at meetings). I have more time with the family and more time to focus on myself and my other business.

My eldest son is still struggling with his mental health so it is good that I am home more for him as well. He was hoping to go out west to work and stay with my sister and her husband but we have to be sure he is stable enough. We are going back to the psychologist to see what the next steps are...I cannot fathom dealing with what he has to deal with on a daily basis. He of course, could do more to make his situation better (eat well, exercise, get sleep, etc) but he is not willing to do it so I think he needs to hear it from a professional.

Hockey was good for my younger boys. They both won the championships for there level. My youngest has now moved to soccer. My middle one does not play summer sports. He will be off to cadet training. He is doing leadership training in sports and fitness and will be gone for six weeks. :boohoo:

My husband just took on another part-time job to augment his school bus driving. He now works at Home Depot as well. In the hardware section which suits him well. He just started last week after a lot of training. He seems to be enjoying it. He will work more in the summer when school is out. Right now it is about 15-20 hours per week.

He just returned fro a weekend of fishing with his buddies. Caught a bunch of walleye. I have attached an image of how I feel when he goes away. He is away again next weekend with our two youngest and some other buddies. They will be gone from Thursday to Sunday and they are taking the dog. My eldest is making plans with his friends for Saturday night so I will enjoy the solitude. :happydance:
[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
Anyway, I will sign off for now. I hope to hear back from whoever is still on the forum and I hope everyone is doing well!

Have a great night! :sleep:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi 71Beetle,
Thanks for the update! :friends:
Good to hear from you, and that your knees are doing OK. It will be interesting to see what the OS has to say on your one year visit.
My knee is doing better, I can sleep through the night, and Converse's are still my best friend.
Who are you rooting for in the Stanley Cup? We are rooting for the Blackhawks.
:wave:
 
Hi @Pumpkln,
Happy to hear that your knee is doing better. You had quite the journey for sure!
Since all of the Canadian teams are out of the playoffs, I am rooting for the Blackhawks as well.
Have a good night!
 
Hi @71Beetle
Glad to hear all is well for you. My husband and I also celebrated 25 years last July 29. My RTKR is doing really well, so well I wish my surgeon would do my other one! He is back to telling me wait as long as you can because you are too young and it will need to be redone at some point down the road. (He says results not as good the second time and more complications etc)
 
Lisa @71Beetle ....... Hi!

Lovely to hear from you and get an update.
I don't venture on here any more, just now and again. I don't really have much to offer, my experiences are no longer current and gossipy chit chat is no longer accepted on recovery threads. I completely understand the need to keep things on topic, but when your supreme talent is gossip and inane drivel ......... well, you can understand why I am no longer posting. Also, after a while of non-contribution, your alerts seem to dry up (painful - there is nothing like a dried up alert!) I have no idea why I received yours this morning, but I am glad that I did as I often think about you.

Pleased you changed job - you seem happy with the change. As I remember it, you were hovering around the decision to leave and work from home before. Well done with the walking - it's good that you're legs are getting stronger. I know you must be a bit niggled that you cannot increase the bend in your right knee, but I think if it is not giving you pain, at this stage, give up the physio and just get on with your life. You are not yet at 1 year post op. Since my one year anniversary I have really noticed significant improvement and it is still getting better. I have this strange thing where it feels a wee bit cranky, and goes a bit clunky, and then 24/48hours later it is moving better and the bend has improved. These knees do seem to mature and improve over time - bit like cheese and wine!

Just to update, I am GOOD! I rarely think about my knee now and just get on with life as it was before TKR, but without pain and being able to join in, instead of watching from the side lines. The end of last year I had a problem with my heart, which I didn't mention here as I loathe fuss and its not a medical moan centre for every ailment we suffer. All fixed and I feel great now. Having some osteo and acupuncture on my Achilles at the moment, as conventional treatment hasn't helped. I find it fascinating, it's early days but seems to be helping. I finally persuaded my husband that I NEEDED a hot tub - got it at Easter and I am addicted ...... I love it and use it every day. Not sure if it is helping my joints but my tan is certainly improving.

Pleased to hear your family are OK, and so hope that your eldest boy's issues stabilise. It must be such a worry for you and he must be under constant strain and feel like he is walking a perpetual tightrope.

Take care of yourself. We may not chat anymore but I don't think we will ever forget our Bonesmart Knee Buddies. The Class of 2014 was the best!

Lots of love, Chris XXXX
 
Sorry I have not kept up with the board.

Hi Lisa, Good to hear from you (and @dogwheels). Apart from the moderators, I dont think anybody we messaged is around any more - except for @Nana moon 27 but that's because Anne is having her second TKR in 4 days time. I get the occasional message. I am always pleased when I do because I really like hearing about how people have moved on. I guess we are biased, but yes I too think the class of 2013/14 was special. I sometimes think to myself how amazing it was to have` known' people from so many different places. None of us ever met in the flesh, but they sure were a god send at the time.

You always thought that your right TKR was never going to be as good as your left. Seems that has proven to be the case. But as Chris says so long as you have no pain what's a bit less ROM anyway. OK perhaps getting up off the floor is not that graceful, but I reckon grace is overrated:wink:. Coming to terms with a TKR that is less than good is hard - perhaps more so if the first TKR is excellent. But I think we are hard wired to make the best of things, and that sounds exactly what you are doing.

I too am good. My TKR still has that tight band feeling, but I've had it so long now, I think I would miss it if it ever went away :heehee:. I've had a couple of nice holidays in Spain this year and I am getting married on Thursday, but more importantly I've discovered Sketchers shoes. There's nothing, but nothing to compare with them. I now have at least 12 pairs. Check 'em out Lisa. If you get on with them you will never forget me, each time you put your foot to the ground you will remember Aunty Carol. Come to think of it, if you also get a hot tub you will remember BOTH Chris and Carol.

I am hoping your Update might encourage others to drop by and say hello. I know none of us is up for regular posting any more, but to hear from those who were there when we needed them most would be great. I am almost half tempted to have my other knee done just so that they will all come back - No, No I didn't love them that much. chuckle.

Great to hear from you.
 
Hi @71Beetle

How lovely you've posted and given us an update. Firstly Congratulations on your 25th wedding anniversary and on your new job...well done, such great news. It's a big step changing jobs but you have taken it and done ever so well. It's lovely to read how it's raised your self esteem and made you feel valued x x x

Im so sorry to hear about your sons MH issues I'm sure that the psychologist will be able to help him.

I had a revision at the end of September last year and my rom is 120/0. Absolutely brilliant. The TKR is being affected by my left knee which is being replaced this Friday. However the TKR is the best it's ever been. It's so nice to have it straight.

Well done on the amount of walking you can do. That's my aim after this TKR. I want my life and job back!

I've enjoyed reading your update and hope you'll pop in now and again to visit x x x

Take care
Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hi @amber777,
Congratulations on 25 years married. It is a milestone isn't it?

Happy to hear that your knee is doing well. Hold off doing the other knee if you can but be careful that you don't compensate and do more damage. I understand what your doctor is saying but I am not much older than you and the quality of life now was more important to me than the concern of having to go through this again in 15-20 years. Who knows how much everything will have changed by then. We may be able to get a replacement done in the doctor's office through lasers by then! :heehee:

My brother and I are headed out to Calgary this summer to meet my sister and then we are hopping in her car to go out to BC to visit our other brother. First time we have all been together in 6 years. So excited. My eldest boy is hoping to move out there for a fresh start once he has stabilized. My sister is excited for him to come out and will be putting him up while he looks for work. I will likely be back there in September as well for a visit. Love Calgary!

Enjoy your evening and thanks for the reply.
 
@Celle,
Thank you for the best wishes. I appreciate it. Now that I have made the jump to the new job, I realize that I should have done it a while ago. Things happen for a reason though and I am happy that it has turned out so well.
How are you doing?
Lisa
 
@dogwheels - Chris!

So nice to hear from you. I agree, the 2014 TKR group was awesome! I am thankful that everyone was there while I was going through my recovery and all of the trials and tribulations that went with it. It was a blessing to get to know so many people and to follow the different journeys.

Sorry to hear that you went through heart trouble but it sounds like you are on the mend. Loved your comparison of our joints to wine and cheese. We do have to remember that as we age, our value does increase. We aren't cars after all! :heehee:

Congratulations on your hot tub! I have never been a hot tub or sauna lover. I am not much of a bather at all. If I am going to sweat, it will be due to exercise or laying on a sandy beach. I know people that do love their hot tubs though and I understand it can be therapeutic and addictive. I imagine it is helping the joints.

I do hope your achilles gets better soon. I expect that is very painful!

By the way, I love your profile picture. It is lovely!

Take care and keep in touch! xox
 
Hi Carol @patient 99

So nice to hear from you! Sounds like you are doing quite well. Getting married on Thursday is exciting! Sorry I can't make it. :snork: Are you going back to Spain for your honeymoon?

I do plan on buying a pair of Sketchers walking shoes. I like that they don't look like athletic shoes. I still have 4 pair of runners from my running days but as a walker, I would prefer something more stylish. I generally buy something when I lose 10 pounds. I bought a jacket (for walking) when I lost my first 10 and now I am 6 pounds from the next 10 and will plan on buying them then.

Still having that tight band feeling in your knee eh? I have not had that in a long time. I just have a lot of tendon and muscle pain. My hamstrings are always on fire on the right side. They cannot figure it out at physio which is why I am taking a break. I blew through my medical coverage within the first few sessions and I cannot justify spending the money and not seeing results.

Happy to hear that you want to get your other knee done just to keep in touch with us all. :rotfl: Thank you so much for responding. It is nice to hear from you. Please keep in touch.

Lisa xox
 
@Kansas Teacher
Congratulations on your surgery and for joining the board. You will get a lot of support through BoneSmart. Don't be afraid to ask questions. It is always good to get the opinions and thoughts of those that have been there.
Good luck with your recovery!
Lisa
 
@Nana moon 27

Thank you for your response. Nice to hear from you and thank you for the best wishes.

Congratulations on the ROM you have achieved after the revision. Where were you before you went back in for the revision? Are you getting nervous about Friday? You must be excited to have it behind you. You are smart to have waited between surgeries. If I were to do it again, I would wait until the first knee was completely healed. It was not an option for me as I was suffering too much but if I could have....

I am enjoying the walking. I still miss the high from running but I do enjoy the pace of walking and I can talk a lot more without gasping for breath. :snork: I have a Nike FitBand and my goal is to get to 10,000 steps daily. Most days I am in the 6500-7500 range.

Please keep us posted on your surgery on Friday. I wish you all the best and will be thinking of you!

Take care,

Lisa xox
 
@71Beetle

Congrats on 25 years married and I am pleased that things are positive for you.

I generally leave a monthly update because there is little to report besides small niggles etc.

My life is a lot better since my 2 TKR's but I have to work hard it. I gave my self the target of being comfortable for my holidays in July which, I believe, I am still on target to achieve.

I do believe that it may take another year for me to be happy i.e. no stiffness, aches etc. but if it is sorted then I will be very happy - I don't want to use the excuse of my sore knees when the kids ask me to play football, basket ball etc. again. Now lack of fitness - that is a different matter!

Enjoy the summer and take care of yourself

Mike
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom