TKR CaliGirl's post op journey.

:yes!:Great to hear that you are doing well. It's amazing how we miss doing those small daily tasks.

:thumb:, small milestones are a big deal, glad you were able to get a good nites sleep, and can now drive around town.

Hi Gayna,
Great to hear how much progress you have made. Doesn't a decent amount of sleep make all the difference? And now you are getting back to being independent, that's a great feeling. Well done :wowspring:
Love, Tabby :kittykiss:

I have a question. I have a pain in my TKR knee that I don't think I've read in anyone's recovery thread, and I'm a little nervous since it's persisted for a few weeks now.

My ROM is at 105 and almost 0. However when moving through that range of motion (especially passively like when I raise or lower the footrest on my electric recliner) I get a sharp pain in the lateral aspect of my knee joint when I move through around 60 to 65 degrees of flexion. I know the numbers from using the CPM Machine. I'm fine beyond that level of flexion and extension, but kind of right in the middle of my range of motion I have pain. I've had this pain in the same spot for about 3 weeks now. Again, I notice it more on passive range of motion than active, but do sometimes feel it during active ROM, too, and always in the same spot.

I mentioned this to the PT, and she said it might be a bit of scar tissue in there, but scar tissue seems to be a PT'S answer to everything.

I'm seeing my OS on Thursday, and will definitely mention this to him, but in the meantime, have you experts out there heard of this before?

I have a pain in my TKR knee that I don't think I've read in anyone's recovery thread, and I'm a little nervous since it's persisted for a few weeks now.

My ROM is at 105 and almost 0. However when moving through that range of motion (especially passively like when I raise or lower the footrest on my electric recliner) I get a sharp pain in the lateral aspect of my knee joint when I move through around 60 to 65 degrees of flexion. I know the numbers from using the CPM Machine. I'm fine beyond that level of flexion and extension, but kind of right in the middle of my range of motion I have pain. I've had this pain in the same spot for about 3 weeks now. Again, I notice it more on passive range of motion than active, but do sometimes feel it during active ROM, too, and always in the same spot.
Let's ask @Josephine for her advice.

Saw my OS for my 6 week follow up. X-rays of my knee look good. My leg (femur) is so much straighter now than it was in the pre-op x-rays.

He is happy with my range of motion for where I am in recovery (106 and 0), but stressed that long term he wants me to get to 120 degrees of flexion. His PA will see me in 2 months.

He wrote me a prescription for another 60 Percocet (same strength as I've been taking), with no discussion of weaning me off anything at this point. Actually I was first given a prescription for Norco, but told the medical assistant that hydrocodone doesn't work for me, and I've been taking percocet. That was fixed before I left.

He also cleared me for swimming, and wrote me a prescription for pool therapy. I've already got my first pool therapy appointment scheduled for Wednesday.

I asked about the pain in the outside of my knee as I move through range of motion. He said that worst case scenario is that it's the best complication, and it's a little bit of scar tissue that can easily be cleared out arthroscopically. He said it's too early to worry about that yet, as my knee is still so traumatized and swollen it could be anything, and will likely resolve with time. I asked if there was anything I could do to prevent scar tissue from forming there, and he said no. It's just physiology, and it just develops there in some people.

So, all in all a good visit with the surgeon, and my mind is set at ease regarding the pain.

Hi Gayna
I'm glad you had a good report from your OS and that the pain on the outside of your knee isn't anything too serious.

That's a great report. I'm glad that you're doing well and you have another prescription for pain meds. Hopefully that area in your knee where you are having pain will dissipate as your recovery progresses.

I have a similar problem and my surgeon has said nearly the same thing. My right knee was replaced Jan 6, 2016. At 6 weeks I experienced a sharp pain when walking which has kept bothering me all this time. My surgeon at 3 months said it is scar tissue and recommended some deep massage on the spot. When I went back last week she prescribed Voltaren gel. Both have seemed to help but it is slow. I was also presented with possible surgery to correct it but I decided to give it more time. I will return in Sept. and see how I am then. The Voltaren also helps with the burning feeling on my skin.

RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Congratulations. It sounds like your doing really well. There's nothing like the swimming for therapy, but then again, I'm a bit partial to the water. I had those painful spots in my knees, but found they went away after awhile. It just takes time. I'm still taking pain meds at two months, and my OS has no problem refilling them. Wishing you well.

@Creek lady The voltaren gel sounds interesting, thank you. I will definitely ask about it if the pain persists. Thankfully I don't get the pain when I'm walking. When I sit down in my recliner, and push the button for my feet to go up, I will feel the pain for a second or two when my feet are halfway up. I'm fine with my leg bent in a normal sitting position, and fine with my leg up and elevated on a pillow. It's the transition that's painful. Also the pain is deep in the knee joint - where the meniscus would be if I still had one, so I don't think deep massage would help. At this point I'm still too early in my recovery, and that part of my knee is way too tender for any kind of massage.

@swmrgirl I really love to swim. I haven't seen the therapy pool, but I suspect it's pretty small - perfect for exercise, but too small for actual swimming. Still, I'm happy for any excuse to splash about in a pool. Living in southern California, there are plenty of pools available. I really can't wait until my knee will tolerate walking on sand. I really want to go to the beach and swim in the ocean. That's definitely one of my long term goals.

I love the beach too, and walking in the sand is so great for the quads. It's hard to swim up here without a wetsuit, but I've been known to brave these chilly northern California waters occasionally. It would probably feel great on the new knees.

@swmrgirl I don't know why, but I thought you were in the UK. I didn't realize that you are in California, too. Who needs an ice therapy machine, when you can paddle about in the cold Pacific Ocean. Lol.

One of the things that happened, which made up my mind that having a TKR was the right decision was that my knee hurt too much, so I couldn't swim in the ocean when I went to Jamaica in January. I got ankle deep in the water, my feet sunk into the wet sand, and I got stuck. A lifeguard figured out my predicament and came and held my arm so I could get back out of the water (it was pretty steep), but that was simultaneously embarrassing and disappointing. It became very clear at that moment just how profoundly my knee pain was impacting my life.

I've been missing swimming in the Atlantic Ocean off the NJ coast for several years now. I'm hoping to get in this year. There's nothing like it. I'm sure we will all be swimming this year. How cold is the water there in the summer? Here it's in the 60's when it's warm and occasionally may hit 70 late in the summer or early fall.

Oh, that's not fun. I've had some embarrassing moments in the last 10 years with falling a lot. Between that and not being able to travel much, I decided it was time. I didn't really notice how my life was getting smaller, at first. My husband is from Scotland, and we went to visit his family last spring, and I had a terrible time walking. I probably could have had my TKRs five years ago, but I was in deep denial about how painful they were.
I'm up in Marin county, so we're practically neighbors :wave:

Had my first session of pool therapy yesterday. Loved it. Was feeling great, and everything was so easy to do. Told the therapist I was up for one more exercise since I was feeling so good. She said okay, but remember tomorrow that you asked for this.

This morning I hurt everywhere - except my knee. My knee is fine and happy, but I never would have dreamed that the simple and easy exercises I was doing were such a good workout. Wow, am I out of shape!

I'm definitely looking forward to continuing pool therapy, because I know this muscle soreness from using disused muscles will go away, I'll be in better shape, and my knee certainly liked the exercises.

So I'm sore today but not complaining. I will definitely listen to Jane next time she asks me if I'm sure, though. Lol

Your recovery story has been so helpful to me - you're one of the folks leading my way through this. You have made great progress, and given me inspiration. I hope you're continuing to increase the normalcy of your everyday life.

I'm so glad you got to get in a pool. And I'm glad your knee didn't protest, even if your body was whining about it:heehee: Your recovery is coming along nicely :yay:!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom