Guest viewing is limited

TKR CaliGirl's post op journey.

Gayna, I can't tell you how much I could relate to your sleeping description! I'm so sorry for all of us experiencing that. I am a side sleeper, or stomach sleeper. As I recover, I find I'm more bothered by sleeping on my back. I guess because my knee isn't all cut up on the top anymore - which was a surefire deterrent to rolling over on it. We have to take comfort in the knowledge that there will come a day when we have only a vague recollection that we once had trouble finding a good sleeping position. My OS handed me a return to work form where he checked that I'd be "TOTALLY DISABLED" for 3 months post surgery, and wasn't to return to any type of work until then. That said, it seems a bit extreme to me now at month #1. I am starting to believe that maybe this sleeping issue is the thing that makes working a challenge. My advice to you as you return to work is to schedule your naps into your free time, and protect that time as sacred. You'll need your naps more than ever when you become CaliWorkingGirl! Best thoughts coming your way, my friend.
 
@Happydale My OS also wrote me as totally disabled for 3 months, but I was told he does this just so he doesn't have to keep filling out disability extension forms, and that I could return to work when I feel up to it. On my request they faxed a return to work form to my employer, releasing me to return to work full duty.
 
So today was my first day back at work. My knee is stiff, but not hurting very much. Also I'm not nearly as tired as I thought I would be.

I had planned on taking a half hour lunch, and leaving half an hour early. There was a mandatory meeting at 1:00, and I figured I'd take lunch after the meeting. In fact, the meeting lasted for nearly 2 1/2 hours, so I just went home. Getting home an hour early may be why I'm not exhausted. I certainly didn't expect to have enough energy to come home and put away a load of laundry - but I did, and then made myself some lunch (finally).

Definitely a good first day back.
 
Are you going to work 5 days a week to start? I found taking off Wednesday's a big help especially in the beginning.
 
I'm so glad you had a good first day back! Take it easy and have another good day tomorrow.
 
I'm so glad you're doing so well and that you had a great first day back at work! It's so nice to see all the people here who are doing so well. Here's to a great week for you!
 
@newlybionic Yes, I'm back 5 days a week, but I work a 7 1/2 hour day, and they're very flexible about my time, so I can come in early, take a short lunch, and leave early.

I just need to bring a pillow with me tomorrow. I tried to prop my leg on a box, but it was too hard and uncomfortable.
 
Good to know that your knee is holding up well and that you weren't too tired after starting back to work. Just goes to show how much progress you've made. I'm really pleased for you.
Tabby xxx
 
Returning to work and having it be all good is a huge recovery milestone!! You have been such a trooper through your recovery, and I commend you for all the effort and heart you've put into it. Go, Gayna, go!
 
Gayna, I've been trying to figure out what I can prop my foot on when I return to work, so far my best option, I think, is a cushioned ottoman, they have some inexpensive ones on Amazon, they are a little taller than a foot stool, I'm not sure. I keep hoping I win the lottery so I can just stay home.:beg:
 
Today was a bit harder. I think I was sitting for longer periods without getting up, and I was quite very stiff by the end of the day. Very grateful I had my cane.

I did bring a pillow today, and placed it on top of a bankers box under my desk. It was ok, but not ideal. I probably would have done well to keep my leg on it for longer, and ice it, but I got too busy.

I vow to do better tomorrow.
 
. . . and you will! Returning to school in the best of times is hard. I am sure you will figure things out as you go along. Hope you have a good day today, Gayna.
 
Being back at work has definitely tired me out. I never did figure out a good way to elevate my leg here. I realized that most days, I do actually stand up and take a few steps quite frequently, and that helps A LOT. Days where I'm just sitting are the hardest.

This weekend I attended a family function down in San Diego - and I did the driving. Hit horrible traffic both going down and coming up. Add to that no time to ice and elevate afterwards, and my knee is NOT happy with me today.

I took a 2-week break from PT when I returned to work. Started PT again last week, and of course overdid it my first day - not with my knee, but with my IT band. Owie! I'm trying to find stretches I can do to relieve that, but most of the IT stretches I've found on line require 1) that you are a Yoga master or some kind of very flexible contortionist; 2) can tolerate torquing of the knee joint that my knee is having none of, or 3) have a place to lie down. :rotfl: That leaves me able to do the stretches in bed, but not throughout the day. I'm thinking about paying for a deep tissue massage to relieve some of this.

Turns out my ice therapy machine was just a rental, and my insurance company stopped paying for it. Much to my dismay, the medical supply company came and took it away.:bawl: I'm much less inclined to ice my knee now - not a good thing.

Overall, my knee is feeling a lot better most of the time. Unfortunately, I'm still having that sharp pain behind my kneecap when I bend my knee. I think it's getting worse, but I'm not positive that it is actually getting worse, or if it just feels worse because the rest of my knee is feeling better. I don't have the pain when I'm weight bearing, just when I'm bending my knee a bit - like you need to do to walk properly, for instance, or even when my recliner is raising or lowering. That is frustrating!

I am starting to sleep a bit better - longer stretches between my knee complaining about the position I'm in and waking me up to change positions. I'm still taking 1/2 a Percocet at bedtime. One night I really was not in any pain at bedtime, so I just took a Naprosyn or Tylenol (can't remember which), and optimistically went to bed. 2 hours later I woke up in enough pain to warrant getting up to take that 1/2 a Percocet. It will be another few weeks before I attempt that again.

I'm feeling a bit discouraged, since I was doing so well, so fast, that I thought I'd be much more back to normal at the three month mark than I am. I certainly wasn't expecting this frustratingly sharp pain in my knee with virtually every step I take. I was at 110 degrees of flexion before my 2 week break, and was at 105 after. I'm about at a 2 or 3 degrees extension - not QUITE straight yet. I'm more worried about the extension than the flexion. I've got my follow-up appointment with the surgeon's office next week. Unfortunately I'm seeing the PA, and not the surgeon. I did mention this sharp pain behind my kneecap to the surgeon at the 6 week visit. He said to just be patient and wait, since there was so much trauma and inflammation going on that it could well just resolve with time. He also said that it could be scar tissue in the little notch that my kneecap tracks in, which would require laparoscopic clean out if that's what it turns out to be. Hopefully the PA will have some insight or advice.

So that's my 3 month update. I am able to work full time, and be a basically functional human being outside of work, too - mostly. I need to focus on that - and that I can go up stairs without it hurting, that's another accomplishment. :wink:

I just want to be all better now, now, now!!!:tantrum:
 
I hear you! I do believe that the Volteran gel has helped my kneecap pain. You might remember that we conversed a while ago and my surgeon had a similar take on scar tissue needing to work it's way out and more surgery if it did not. My knee is now at 7 months and around 6 weeks since I've been applying the gel. It took around 3 weeks and some "sports taping" before I felt relief. You might ask your surgeon about the gel. Good luck-I know how frustrating this long healing process is!


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It sounds like you are doing well overall which is great! Three months is really not a very long time, maybe your knee needs a little more time.

Going back to work is definitely a game changer, at least it has been for me. I have more energy now, but by the time I get home from work I'm exhausted.

I hope your pain gets better soon!
 
Going back to work can take it's toll. Hope the PA has some answers for you about your ongoing knee pain.
Here is some information about the ITB. ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments
Don't for get you are only 1/4 of the way through this yearlong or more recovery.
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Not sure why you are going to PT, they should not be setting you back.

Let us know how the PA visit goes.
 
Just catching up with your 3 month update. I'm sorry you are having a few lingering problems, there's nothing straightforward about this recovery, and it's hard to deal with the unpredictable nature of it. I can't imagine having to go back to work, (I was a nursery teacher), but fortunately I don't have that worry. Let us know how you get on with the PA, and I hope your problems resolve themselves very soon.
Tabby xxx
 
The article that Pumpkin included is soooo true. I think most of us want to be much farther down the road in healing than we are. I know that I am dreaming of three months out when everything will be normal - WRONG! We are only beginning the journey at three months - only 1/4 on our way. If the destination is 100 miles we've only gone 25. I hope you get some answers soon on that pain. Hopefully there is an easy explanation and an easy cure. Keep in touch. We are right behind you.
 
I'm posting again after a loooong hiatus - I'm now almost 14 months post op. Being back at work, spending my lunch breaks going to PT, then having to work late to make up the time was draining. I had no energy left when I got home. I also wanted to be the poster child for awesome TKR recovery, and I was having problems, so I didn't want to just come here and kvetch. I wanted to share good news and milestones, and that wasn't my reality.

But time had passed and healing had progressed, although I'm far from pain free.

At 5 months post-op, I flew non-stop from LA to Boston, and although I had some stiffness, it wasn't bad enough that I needed the folding cane l brought with, just in case. I was able to walk around and sight see without pain, which was awesome.

On the not so good side, I got micro years in all of the tendons in my right foot (my TKR was on the left). The podiatrist thinks it's because of altered gait because my left leg is now longer than my right. I am much recovered, but still get twinges. I need to get my insurance to approve orthotics.

As for my knee, it's functioning well, except for that pain behind my patella, when I straighten my leg, which I've been complaining about since about 6 weeks post op. I went yesterday for my slightly late 1 year follow up with the surgeon, who said I have pretty textbook patella clunk syndrome. He can do arthroscopic surgery now, 6months from now, it's up to me. I would really have preferred to do it last December, when it was still in the same calendar year that I'd met my maximum out of pocket. As it is, I will do it before the end of this year, but it will cost me a lot.

I also have a lot of pain in the tendon that runs along the outside edge of my knee. The doctor said it was in bad shape, so he ok a post in my knee to help provide support, but this is as good as it's going to get.

I also, occasionally get spontaneous stiffness and swelling in my knee and the surrounding muscles, such that it brings me to tears to straighten my leg, and it hurts to stand on it. I don't know if it's related to the patella clunk syndrome, since when it gets like that it just hurts EVERYWHERE! The patella clunk syndrome is a very specific area, and a certain range of motion.

I haven't figured out what brings on that awful stiffness. I suspect it might be a barometric pressure drop, but I'm really not certain. It seems kind of random. Sometimes I'm doing a lot of walking (for me - that's a relative statement), and sometimes I've been doing a lot of sitting. I really wish I could figure out what's causing it, so I can stop doing that thing.

I still favor my TKR going up and down stairs, more from habit, and not having built up enough strength (I don't have many stairs in my life), than from pain.

So that's where I am now, 14 months post op. Overall glad I did it, but sad I still have so many issues.
 
I'm sorry to hear that you are still having problems. I hope the arthroscopic surgery can help take care of many of your problems.
 
Back
Top Bottom