Guest viewing is limited

TKR CaliGirl's post op journey.

Glad to hear how well you are doing, let us know how your knee does with returning to work.
 
Glad your getting back to normal life


LTKR 11 May 2016
 
I am definitely experiencing more energy drain than pain most of the time.

Same here Gayna! Glad you're stepping down from PT for awhile when work begins. I so want to think I'm about done with recovery but we've got 9.5 months ahead of us yet- LOL! As long as we're able to get around without the penetrating pain- I'm good with that!

Every single day I think how nice it is to walk without arthritic pain in my right knee. I still remember the control it had over me- knowing if I spent too much time on my knee pre-op I was going to be up all night in excruciating pain. I'll take the discomfort I have in my slow recovery over those pre-op days anytime!

Glad things are getting better for you! They are for me too! My flexion is up to 95*s now! Still coming slow but I'm just so thankful it's coming- LOL!

Ok, time to put the insomnia to bed now- morning will be knocking on my door soon- LOL!

[Bonesmart.org] CaliGirl's post op journey.
 
@CaliGirl al so glad you are doing so well.

I guess the energy really takes its time coming back...I really have a hard time sitting in a normal chair, after 30 minutes my knee starts to hurt, and I can't stand for a very long time either, oh well, baby steps!
 
@uva55. You got me beat! I can't sit normal anymore than about 15 minutes. And to stand and wash and dress vegetables for dinner is impossible unless I sit for a few minutes while doing it. Fresh veggies take work, but who has the energy to prepare them. For now, I'm using the frozen steamer bags. Just pop 'em in the microwave. Not as good, but at least healthy! It's healthier than eating ice cream every meal!
 
I'm checking in for an update.

I have been more active with errands and pt visits, and participating in real life again, so I haven't been around here much. I'm also getting ready to go back to work on Monday.

As far as my progress, I'm at 110 flexion (pt is happy with that, surgeon wants me at 120). They don't measure my extension, but subjectively, I feel like I can fully straighten it with now almost no pain.

My knee is still stiff first thing in the morning and after sitting for a while, but is feeling much stronger. I can get into my small, low to the ground car like a normal person. Yesterday I decided to see if I could manage going down a step in the normal way, and I could - with no pain! I haven't been able to do that in years. I mentioned that to my pool pt, and she encouraged me to get out of the pool using the steps properly, rather than "up with the good." I was able to do it, again without pain, although I still need to build up strength. I'm not a light little fairy, so it's a lot of work to lift all this up stairs. :heehee:

So now on to the bad. I am still having that pain just under my kneecap as I move through the middle of my range of motion (I get a sharp pain at around 60 to 65 degrees, which goes away after I'm past that in either flexion or extension). I'm not sure if it's getting worse, or if my knee mostly feels so much better that it's a stark contrast. It's disappointing. I wanted sharp pain in my knee to be gone by now. I'm worried that it's scar tissue in the notch like the surgeon said was a possibility. He said it's easily remedied with cleaning it out arthroscopicaly, but I don't love the idea of another surgery (no matter how "simple").

Also my back has been killing me. I suspect it's from a combination of prolonged inactivity, my gait (I still have to remind myself to bend my knee to bring it forward, not swing my leg out), and my surgical leg perhaps being longer now than my other leg. When I went to my 6 week post op visit, my surgeon showed me my before and after x-rays side by side. I was shocked by how much straighter my femur is now. Since my other one isn't quite as straight, I'm assuming my surgical leg is longer.

I'm finally taking myself off to see a chiropractor today, as well as get an hour long massage. Hopefully between that and returning to work on Monday (requiring more normal amounts of walking, sitting in something not a recliner, etc.) my back will be happier with me.

Finally there's the sleeping issue. After reading what a lot of other people experience, I feel like I have no right to complain, but I used to be really good at sleeping, and I miss it. My back is happiest with me sleeping on my left side. My knee will only put up with that for about 45 minutes, then complains loudly and wakes me up (irrespective of whether I've taken half a percocet and/or how recently). I then turn onto my right side. My knee loves this position, my back doesn't complain too much either. I doze back off again, and an hour to an hour and a half later my hip and thigh complain loudly. I turn back over to my left side, and my knee immediately informs me it's having none of that. I lay on my back. My low back doesn't love that, but the other body parts are complaining louder. 45 minutes later, my back is now complaining loudly, and it's time to start this whole process all over again. I get 5 to 6 hours before I just can't get comfortable and give up and get out of bed. Oh, I so miss you 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep!:mcoffee:

I hate coming on here and whinging. I'm really doing so well, and compared to what so many others are going through, I feel like I'm complaining about nothing (the story "The Princess and the Pea" comes to mind). I guess I'm a delicate little princess today having a pity party.:cry:
 
That's ok Gayna, that's what we are all here for, to listen to each other. I'm really glad that on the whole you are doing really well and getting back to normal life. I hope the transition back to work goes well, and that your sleep improves in time. Maybe the chiropractor will help with your back issues, and a massage will be relaxing. Keep us posted how you get on.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
We all have our pity party days and we all understand. Your progress is wonderful! I am counting on three months for me to be back to normal and you are almost there at two. I understand the sleep problem. I need that sleeping pill to get me through all the complaints that my back and hip throw at me during the night. My new knee (Lady Mary) is getting more accepting of being flexed at night which helps my back. Maybe as your flexion increases your back will be happier. I hope so. I haven't had the courage to go to the pool yet. I always make up some excuse not to go. You are fortunate to have a pool PT.
 
I can identify with just about all your pains! I think my back improved as my gait got more normal- it's been about a month since I visited my dr about it. My gait improved due to less sharp pain like yours (kinda under and to the lateral side under my kneecap right side). It occurred as I put weight on the knee when going from flexon to extension. I have suffered this pain from about 6 weeks after surgery to a couple of weeks ago.

I think two things helped. I started to do a 'sports taping' that acted to pull my kneecap up a bit. I had googled it and followed the instructions. Plus my surgeon prescribed Voltaren gel. I can walk up to around 2 miles at a time now. I still get ankle swelling when I do a lot. I also struggle with sleep but it is much better. I can sleep longer on my side now but it still will wake me at times with pain. Sometimes i sleep through the night on my side but it's achey in the morning.

I expected less pain in my right knee by now so I really understand your feelings of disappointment. On the other hand my left knee which is newer by 11 weeks has been great.

Last month I thought I would be facing a scar tissue clean out but now I think it will continue to get better. I hope I


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I tired to also say that I hope you have a similar experience as time goes on. I often felt hopeless and discouraged because of the pain but now I think time is the healer and patience is hard but necessary.


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @CaliGirl sounds like you are doing just fine, I wish we had a magic spell to just be normal but I don't think that will happen. Inside my leg still hurts that's were the pain was before. And I can feel a.sort of pull at the back of my knee, I can walk up and down stairs ok now sleeping is much the same as yours and I need a sleeping pill to settle me down, I finde walking along the road hurts the inside of my knee a bit, good luck with returning to work let us know how you get on, I often think of you and how you are doing I know as our life begins to return to normal we don't need each other so much and that's a good thing so I would like to thank you for being part of my journey and wish you every happens in the world xx

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
Hey Gayna, nice progress report- despite some discomforts! Best Wishes on your return to work. I totally understand about back issues: After each TKR my lower back was in agony (spasms!) by the end of my first 12 hr shift. Though your job may not be as physical as mine, don't be surprised if your back pain flares for a week or so then quickly settles down.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a great progress report, sounds like you are doing amazing...good luck with going back to work.

Let's not even talk about sleeping, I hate bedtime, I think I'm starting to develop a phobia:scare:
 
I think sleeping is a problem for the vast majority of us. One day it will improve.
 
What a great progress report, sounds like you are doing amazing...good luck with going back to work.

Let's not even talk about sleeping, I hate bedtime, I think I'm starting to develop a phobia:scare:




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oops hit the wrong button. Sorry. Just wanted to chime in about sleep deprivation experiments on TKR patients. In grad school I was a sleep researcher and I can attest that waking up every two hours wreaks havoc with cognition, emotions, and immunity. I have not slept through the night, nor for more than three hours since the end of January when I had arthroscopic surgery. I presume that part of the healing will be gradually being able to sleep for longer periods of time. So I am being patient with the sleep thing as I am with everything else. Since I am not working I can nap during the day and I do. I hope that all my BS friends sleep longer and better soon.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] CaliGirl's post op journey.
@Barnmom22 after you finish your post and hit the button that says "post reply" if you notice that you want to we it, or add something or even delete the post, to the left of "post reply" you will see an "edit" option, if you hit that it will take you back in the post and you can make corrections, add our even delete the entire post :)
 
Not sleeping sound all night is terrible! Do you all think it has to do with "aging" too? I have to get up and pee all night long and my husband snores :(
 
Good to hear from you Gayna! I love reading your posts- even the ones 'you' perceive as whining. I don't! I see them as you coming to your 'tribe' to get some hopeful answers! I thought of two things when reading your post- do you ever put a pillow between your knees? This helps me tremendously when on either of my sides! Also, are you taking any type of sleep aide? If not, I think it's time to seriously consider it until you're further along in your recovery. Tylenol PM wipes my insomnia out and I usually take one 5 out of 7 nights a week! I don't get 8hrs yet, but I do get a restful 6hrs with no hung over feeling. We may have talked about this before and if so, I apologize for being repetitive. But I'm not about to tread through our threads to see if we have- LOL!

Hang in there Sister.. we are definitely getting there! I crawled across the bed on my surgery knee yesterday so I wouldn't disturb Audrey who had snuck in my bed. Didn't even realize I was doing it until I was on the other side of the bed. Now, that is something I haven't done in YEARS!
 
Thank you for the support everyone.

@Suz Yes, I sleep with a body pillow. It is actually a U shaped pillow. I love the thing. You are supposed to put your head in the curve of the thing, but I get too hot and tangled up that way, so I have it upside down. I had banished it from my bed during the time I could only sleep on my back, but it is back and ever so comfortable. That is why my knee is so happy with me when I sleep on my right side - it is on a nice comfy pillow. I do sometimes take either an OTC sleep aid (basically Benadryl) or sometimes generic Ambien. Even so, I still only get 6 hours.

@Creek lady Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I hadn't read of anyone else having this issue with the pain behind my knee. I don't feel the pain when I'm putting weight on it. I feel the pain when I'm lifting my leg with it slightly bent to take the next step. I also feel it when I'm lowering and raising the foot rest on my recliner, doing bending exercises, etc. You have given me hope that it really can resolve in time.

The chiropractor and the massage yesterday were wonderful, and I'm feeling much better. The chiro also suggested an exercise where I bend and arch my back, which is helpful. He suggested I do it kneeling on the floor (which I can't do yet), but I modified it to doing the same exercise while standing, but with my forearms resting on my bed. It helps. My back is feeling much better today.

@Floridagal I researched PT facilities near me that had pools (and took my insurance - that was the hard part!). I really do love the pool PT. I really enjoy the exercises, and feel great afterwards. I like my land physical therapist, too. She's very nice, and has REALLY helped me, but doing those exercises is not nearly as much fun as being in the pool. My favorite land exercise is a machine I've not seen anywhere else - it's a recumbent stair stepper machine. So I'm sitting in a chair, and my legs are doing rhythmic stepping motions, but the pressure needed for each step is adjustable. I'm just at the lowest level, but can now do the exercise comfortably for 10 minutes. It's all progress.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom