TKR CaliGirl's post op journey.

So happy for you Gayna-! It's amazing we're both celebrating our new knees 1st month! Just knowing it's been a month into recovery today has been very encouraging for me! Now where's the birthday cake? LOL!
 
Fantastic news you seem to be doing so well, don't think any of us are really prepared for this operation even like myself on the second one this one is so different from my first one, this one being a little less difficult than the first one, hubby returns back to work tomorrow think I will miss him dreadfully, still think I might be able to read my books now my mind dose not wander so much. Hope your success continues x


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
[Bonesmart.org] CaliGirl's post op journey.


Just for you CaliGirl & Suz xx


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Dawni That's another success I forgot to list. I've actually read two or three novels. I have my brain back! Mind you, I'm talking light, fluffy romance novels here, not Tolstoy or something, but still. :heehee:

That cake is amazing.
 
And just what is that you have for Cali & me Dawni? It's so realistic- especially the gauze and blood.. I had to study it for a bit to determine if it was real or not- LOL!

:scare:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well @Suz and @CaliGirl wanted a cake and me being a chef decided to scrawl the Internet and found them a cake, sorry my dry humour


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Sunday was my (along with hubby) 35th wedding anniversary and we went out to eat and had a Tres Leche Cake-it was so so good but not as cute as that cake you pictured!
 
@tjcteacher Happy anniversary to you and your husband. Tres leches cake - yummy.

I'm doing pretty well. Have some stiffness, but not much pain most of the time. I'm being discharged from home PT later this week. I want to go this week and check out the outpatient rehab facility at the hospital where I had my surgery, since I will most likely do my outpatient rehab there - especially since they have a pool and I can start aquatic therapy in another week and a half. :swim: The home PT and I are in agreement that I'm really ready for outpatient PT, with all the other equipment they have available. Besides the pool, I'm most looking forward to using an exercise bike. :upright:

I'm now getting to the stage where I want to go and do things that I'm not yet ready to do. Going grocery shopping for instance. It will be so nice once I can go out and take care of those kinds of errands by myself.
 
@CaliGirl , it sounds like you are pretty good for just one month after your TKR...Good for you, I hope I can be that lucky...:yahoo:
 
@CaliGirl
Just make sure your incision is completely healed, with no open areas and no scabs at all, before you get in that pool. You'd be risking introducing infection if you get in sooner than that.

Another thing to be careful about is that you don't do too much while in the water. Because the water supports much of your weight it's easy to overdo without realising it - until you try to get out.
 
@Celle Thank you for the reminder - especially about not overdoing it with pool therapy. I am seeing my OS when I'm 6 1/2 weeks post op. The PT places here require aquatic therapy to be specifically listed on the prescription. The prescription I have now doesn't include that, so my OS will be checking my incision before I'll even get a prescription for pool therapy. From my layman's perspective it looks to be healing well.

I had another little victory last night that I want to celebrate. I got up from my recliner yesterday evening to go and get something, and realized after about 4 or 5 steps that I had forgotten my cane. I certainly wasn't walking with a normal gait, but I was walking with such little pain that I didn't need something to bear my weight on. I did go back and get my cane, but just for balance, since I'm still kind of wobbly, and don't want to risk falling and injuring myself. But for about 10 steps last night it was "look Ma, no hands!":heehee:
 
@tjcteacher I'm glad you also have good, caring PTs. I know I feel empowered now transitioning to outpatient rehab, because of all the information and support here on bonesmart. I know i can get the help and therapy I need, and am confident to speak up and not allow anyone to hurt me. That's very reassuring, considering that at my first physical therapy session pre-op (which was my first ever experience with PT), the therapist was almost bragging about how he'd made a post op TKR patient cry. No, I'm not going back to that PT facility for my outpatient rehab, although not all of the therapists there are sadistic like that guy.
 
Way to go with those first 'baby steps' . You'll see more and more improvements as your recovery continues. How can a therapist brag how he has made someone cry? What a jerk.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom