Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Calamity on the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Linda, My first outpatient PT was on Wednesday, Tuesday was my two week mark from my surgery. I went again today and it went a lot better. I scheduled it for in the afternoon instead of the morning.....much better! My therapist was really happy with my increase in movement and did more strengthening exercises. I was able to life my legs off of the table, did 10 then 5 lifts without resting on the table between lifts. It's kind of strange to say, it didn't hurt but was uncomfortable doing it, but it felt so good to be able to lift and bend!
My OS did change my prescription, so I think my pain is going to be managed much better.
So all in all it was a good day.
 
What day did you start out-patient OT? How do you go about getting your legs in the car?

My first outpatient PT was on Wednesday, which is one day past my two week surgery anniversary. I went again today, scheduled it for afternoon instead of morning......much better!!!! It went very well, my therapist was really happy with the increase of my motion. I was thrilled to be able to lift my legs off the table without help.:spin: I did 1 set of 10 leg lifts, then another set of 5 for each leg. It's strange to describe, it wasn't painful, but uncomfortable...but felt so good to be lifting and bending my legs!
He told me he likes that I'm there early in my recovery. It makes it much easier to get the range of motion and strength early on. The other OS in town sends his patients after three months.....he said as long as they did their stretching exercises at home, they work on strengthening and it goes well. But if they come in with only a 90 flexion at three months, they have a lot more work to do.

I was taught in the hospital to use my cane to lift my legs, one at a time, on and off of the bed. So getting in and out of the car is the same,
I backed straight to the car, reaching down with my hands from the walker to the car seat, lowering down into the seat. I push back into the seat, then....take the cane, hook the left foot and lift it very carefully up to the car, then the other foot. The nurse taught me when I went home from the hospital. It's so amazing how they teach you to do things you just can't imagine how you'll do it.

My OS changed my prescription so I think my will be managed much better now, thankfully!
 
Hi Jane, what good ideas! These are the things that really matter don't they! And you only find out by trying things out. I live in a small market town with no big stores nearby, and has been awhile since it has been comfortable browsing round shops anyway, so I do much of my shopping online. Lots of it gets sent back! I bought some of those lightly padded pull on bras, mostly to protect my modesty in hospital when visitors came! They have been very comfy. The slippery capris sound great. I didn't think of that. To be honest getting suitable nightwear in the uk has been a challenge. For some reason the designers think that once you are over 50 you are ready to join the blue rinse brigade! Consequently nightwear is very frumpy, or youth oriented=skimpy. I thought that I needed something that would leave my knees on show for the nurses, but would look ok when I was walking in the corridors, so I thought short pyjamas Bermuda length. Could I find that here? Nope! Only baby dolls with shorts that barely covered your bum cheeks! i tried several makes, all went back and in desperation ordered them from the good old us of a! The shipping cost as much as the items, but I got what I felt comfortable in, and felt ok at being seen in! Now I am at home and getting dressed I have been wearing a couple of loose t sort type cotton dresses. Easy to put on over my head, no fastenings, so the only thing I have to put my legs in is my knickers (underpants)! Can't be bad! I have got some elasticated waist loose fitting capris, so I might try them next week. Don't feel the need for anything heavier the teds keep my legs warm!
A couple of things that I got that I was really glad I did were dry shampoo and baby wipes! Both after tips on here! The dry shampoo because it is sometime before you have the energy to wash your hair I found, and the dry stuff keeps the worst of the lankness at bay.. The wipes have been great too, for cleaning hands before and after eating, and then using them to wipe down your side table. I am still using them all the time. My husband just doesn't't think of wiping down my table where I have my snacks, and I like to stay clean!
 
Jane, I'm glad you were taught so many helpful hints. When you came home, did you sit in the front passenger seat or in the back? Did you have PT at home or just start at 2 weeks? Sorry for all the questions but I'm sure you remember getting anxious about all this beforehand. I've taken your suggestions to heart and stocked up on those items that have been helpful to you and others.

I really hope the change in pain meds helps keep the pain minimal as you become more active. Thanks for your support:friends: and I wish you a continued good recovery.:thumb:
 
When you came home, did you sit in the front passenger seat or in the back? Did you have PT at home or just start at 2 weeks?

I sat in the front seat,but we have a carcthat has a rather large door opening. One of it's sales points was thst a handicapped perdon could back into it and swing their le came to my house the day after I gs in. I have heard a recommendation to ride in the back seat, stretching out acoss the seats. I only had a less than ten minute ride home.

Home care PT came to my house the day after I came home. She checked to make sure there were no throw rugs to trip on and things like that, watched how I did with the walker, talked about stretches. She was going to come back this week, but when I was scheduled for outpatient PT, I canceled her.

I'm glad to help in any way I can to lessen the stress you're feeling right now. That's what is so great about this forum!
 
So glad you had such a positive time at pt. I went back to the hospital for pt on Friday, was dreading it, didn't know what to expect, but it was just fine. The physio made me feel I was really doing really well and I came away feeling much happier! Sounds like you have got the car entry and exit well figured out! Never thought to use my crutch! Hadn't been taught that, but it makes such good sense the way you describe it. I will definitely try that next time. Getting in and out of the car has been the worst thing fo me so far! I had a long ride to the hospital, but putting cushions and pillow in under my legs to support them did help. As you can see Linda I sat in the front. RaQia suggested that it would be more comfy in the back, and I'm sure that was good advice, but hubby was concerned that sitting outstretched would mean that I wouldn't be able to have my seatbelt on. It's great Linda, that you are getting all your questions answered and are getting so well prepared beforehand.
I'm so glad Jane, that you are getting your pain meds sorted out now. As Linda says pain level 6 is far too high. How strange that they tried to cut you back like that. Mine are serving me well, but I will run out next week, so I hope I will have no problems getting them renewed, because I don't feel ready to cut back much yet, would rather do that when I feel ready, not when they think so!
Hope all continues well for you, and you are getting further away from the memory of your awful first week. As you say, this recovery takes time, but we have so much now to look forward to. Take care :friends:
 
Well, everyone I know has small cars, so I will probably go the back seat route on my short drive home from the hospital. It's hard for me to get my legs in and out now and I'm sure it will be worse those first few weeks. Jane, it sounds like home PT didn't amount to much so as long as I can get myself into and out of the car twice, I guess I'll just go along with the plan to have outpatient PT on my 5th day after surgery. That's, of course, assuming all goes well and I'll be home.

I am so glad that both you and Dinah are doing well.:egypdance: You know to just take it one day at a time and try to be patient.:rolleyes: I wish for NO pain for you and continued improvement.:thumb:
 
ditzy dinah , glad your pt went well and your pain meds are handling things for you. It is so much easier to have a good outlook and deal with everything when the pain is managed. I hope using crutch is helpful getting in and out of the car for you and you don't dread it so much.
VancouverUSAgal You're doing a great job preparing yourself, that will help so much. The first week to 10 days will be very difficult. Those were I think the hardest days of my life. But that's the worst, I think around day 12 all of a sudden I seemed to step over the hump.....everything seemed to turn around both physically and emotionally. I remembered reading someone else say that in a post before my surgery. I did hang onto that during those tough days. I hope you have a better time of it than I did and I will keep that in my prayers for you.

The pain meds are working much better and I'm not having that antsy feeling. I am a lot sleepier, partly I'm sure because I'm up every two hours having to go to the bathroom. I tried not drinking as much this evening to see if it helps.

My blood pressure had dropped every time I stood up after my surgery. One of my medications that I took for urinary retention was the culprit. (figured that out on day four) They thought it was the pain meds causing the problem, so they kept whittling down the pain meds, then were very conservative in bringing them back for fear my bp would drop again.
Now I think, without the urinary medication, I'm having to get up so many times at night to go to the bathroom. At least I'm able to go right back to sleep. I see my family doctor of Thursday, so I'll talk to her about that. I'll probably have to deal with it until I'm off of the pain meds.

Well the brain fog is rolling in, time for me to get ready for bed before I fall asleep while typing.:sleep:
Have a good night.
 
You are doing well Jane....

I am as prepared for my surgery as I am going to be. I am hoping I get through this..... see you on the other side my friend. xx
 
So glad the pain is better.:yes!: Yeah, I know about getting up at night. I do, at least twice, and have for years. So long as you can go right back to sleep, it shouldn't make you overly tired - but it is an irritation and I imagine especially so when knees are working the greatest.

You had a rough start but sound so good and positive now.:flwrysmile: It's great to hear.
 
Sorry I haven't posted for so long. For some reason, I can't post ftom my laptop. I log in, can read everything, but not able to post or reply to anything........:headbang: So I'm on my kindle, which tskes forever to post.

Last week was a difficult time. I started outpatient PT the week before. It went well at first, then they got too aggressive, too quickly on Monday. I was miserable. Wednesday I told him we needed to slow down, so he did, somewhat. By Friday, I was wore out....almost didn't go, but did. He tried adding more from Wednesday, but finslly realized I just didn't have anything left in me. I took it easy all weekend and after lots of prayer....felt much better by Monday with a better attitude. So, at PT, we agreed to keep everything at the same level, without adding to it thiz week. What a relief!!! The good news was that my ROM was 120 in both knees! My extension isn't as good....he didn't measure it but, in the midst of being miseable I didn't work on that. I'm working on those stretches this week.

I'm feeling much stronger and making progress this week. I guess we all will have those days/weeks to get through to be able to see a flickering light at the end of the tunnel.
 
Hi Jane calamity
I have issues posting depending on which device I am using, but figured out it is the program not the device. If I use Internet Explorer on my laptop it doesn't work - I have same issue for other sites. If I go thru Google Chrome, I have not problems whatsoever. Might want to try a different program to open Bonesmart and see if that helps.

Wow impressive that your ROM is at 120 - I'm jealous, but not comparing :) I am 8 weeks out at 112 on my left and 99 on my right. Keep telling the PT what works for you. I have been as well because if I do too much on Monday, I don't want to go on Thursday. Actually canceled last week because did too much on Monday and had improved ROM this week just taking it easy over the weekend.

Best wishes,
Stacie
 
Hi Jane, I glad you are doing well. I just finished six weeks of PT Thursday. It went very well. There was only one time when I felt it was too intense. It caused some back pain. I told the therapist the next day. From then on they were very considerate of my back. I am glad you are speaking up. Some folks on this board seem to think that American physical therapy is too intensive. I Did not find that To be true at all. I was very impressed with my therapist's Knowledge of what it would take to
Strengthen what had been weakened by the surgery. I hope you continue to do as well as you have been doing.
 
If I use Internet Explorer on my laptop it doesn't work - I have same issue for other sites. If I go thru Google Chrome, I have not problems whatsoever. Might want to try a different program to open Bonesmart and see if that helps.

Thanks! I got on through Google Chrome and had no problems!:happydance:

but not comparing I am 8 weeks out at 112 on my left and 99 on my right. Keep telling the PT what works for you. I have been as well because if I do too much on Monday, I don't want to go on Thursday. Actually canceled last week because did too much on Monday and had improved ROM this week just taking it easy over the weekend.
My therapist only measures once a week and usually it's on Mondays when I've had the weekend to rest. I know the ROM changes depending on how swollen, tired ect... your are on any given day. He told me once you get past the 105 point, the rest comes much easier. Just keep elevating, icing and doing the heel glides everytime you get up. Whenever I'm sitting, I try to bend my knees as far as I can and hold it for as long as I can stand. Relaxing it, then doing it again.

My therapist keeps commenting on how being nice to me is working....and that he'll have to keep being nice to me. I'm hoping it makes him realize how important it is not to push his patients too hard and he'll get better results "being nice" as he puts it.
 
Carolina girl It's great to hear of someone having such a good experience with PT. Strengthening is such where the PT really shines. I think it's possible to get the extension and flexion on your own, but the PT really helps to get you much stronger overall. I've read about all the exercises that they are having me do, but I don't think I would do them all on my own. I don't have PT today, but I'm going to try and do the leg lifts that he has me do, to help keep up with the momentum that I have right now.

Thanks for your encouragement.
 
Jane, I went 12 times for an hour each and worked hard the entire hour. Every exercise Idea seemed to have a purpose. I agree with you. I would not have done these Exercises at home. There were several exercises that PPT assistant did with me. That was even more motivating.
 
The last few days have gone well. I didn't have PT on Friday.:SUNsmile: I did do some legs lifts and arch lifts on Friday and then did some knee bends :groan:and heal raises on Saturday to try to maintain. Been working on the extension stretches.....ouch, that really gets my knees ralled up. It didn't help that my os office refilled my oxycodone at a lesser dosage, which does not handle the pain. I'll need to call tomorrow before going back to PT.

Anyway, I digress........had a great day today! I got out of the house other than doctor or pt. We went to our family camp that is about 20minutes away. My sister and her husband came. We had lunch, then the guys worked onprojects my husband has been itching to do. My sister and I enjoyed the beautiful weather sitting on the porch all afternoon! I did elevate and ice while I was there. It felt sooooooooo good to be outside!
 
A change of scenery and a breath of fresh air does give one a big lift. I just managed to get outside for a walk in the driveway and it gave me a lift yesterday. Nice ot be able to enjoy a change.
 
Well today is my knees 6 weeks birthday. They've come a long way......and still a long way to go. They say another 6 weeks to like my new knees and be glad I had the BTKR done. I will definitely be glad when I get there.

I've done well as far as my ROM, last week it was at 126, my extension is ok, almost there. I still have another 4 weeks of PT to go. There has been a lot of pain. It seems more than what most people experience, at least from the way other people describe it. Sometimes I feel like I'm such a wimp....but my pain is real. My appointment with the OS on Monday did not go well. He apparently did not take my pain seriously and was more concerned of me misusing my narcotic pain meds.

I had been taking 10mg of oxycodone every 4 hours and extra strength Tylenol every 6 to 8 hours. After telling him that at 3 hours I was to a 4 to 5 pain level and by the time the it was 4 hours the pain had reached a level of 6 and remained at that lever for another hour, sometimes two after taking the oxy. I'd have about an hour to two of relief, then the pain would start again. Immediately after me telling him this, he tells me I need to start keeping a chart of my meds (which I have already been doing) and decrease by one pill (5 mg) every three days. No options to take anything else, no concern for the amount of pain I had. I was furious....I asked if I could take naproxen....he very nonchalantly said "Sure". Then, he starts to say when he wants to see me again. I think, "Ok, at least he's going to monitor this." Yea right, he says he wants to see me again in two months!!! The finishing touch to the visit was as he's leaving....he says, "Don't get frustrated." :headbang: He had no idea of the level of frustration he caused me to be at that moment!

So, long story short....the naproxen has been a Godsend. I don't understand why the OS didn't suggest it! I've been able to push my dosage for the oxy out to 5 to 6 hours. I feel so much better, and I'm glad not to be taking so many narcotics. I had liked my OS until this visit. I'm sure after two months when I see him again, I'll have cooled down. I hope I can express my feelings to him about how he handled my pain in a very cool and logical way so maybe he will be more empathetic to his patients pain in the future.

Okay...I feel better now, just had to vent it one more time. I've made up my mind that I'm not going to dwell on my OS and the office visit. That's a very hard thing to do....just keep going over it in my mind. I'm not allowing myself to do that from now on. Moving forward, concentrating on my progress and so glad that my sister (the RN) had told me the day before my OS visit to ask him about taking naproxen!

Thanks for allowing me to vent.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom