Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Calamity on the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you are doing really well Jane, I'm so glad! I know what you mean about getting going in the morning...it takes a while doesn't it? I have never spent so long in bed! I'm ready for bed at 9at the latest, and I'm not stirring for twelve hours either. Must be doing me good as I am sleeping so well..bliss, find I am managing on my back perfectly well. How are you sleeping. ? I was able to shower right away too. The dressings they put on my knees are waterproof, so it's ok, and my legs feel so strong I can stand ok in the shower. I have been showering every other day though because of the wretched ted stockings. My husband, although meaning well, and gentle in many ways is used to working with machinery not injured legs, and with his gung ho attitude of must get the job done, is a little too pro active when it comes to taking stockings off and putting them on. My leg is not a pipe that can be forced!! He twisted it the other day! Ouch!!! So I am a little nervous today. Will be glad when I can lose them altogether, in another 3 weeks. So glad the staple removal went well, mine are out tomorrow. Haven't counted how many will do that, but they will be less than yours of course. When I have seen them they look very neat. Could you bend your knees better when they were out? My knees feel so tight when I bend them, I'm wondering if some of that is due to the staples. It will be nice to be free of them. I have been advised from the hospital to rub e45cream ion the scar twice a day provided there is no seepage. Has anyone else been given that advice. Continue to go well Jane, hope you are being well looked after... I am! And are getting plenty of rest :friends:
 
calamity how are you going Jane? I hope you are taking things slow :) I will send you a private message in the morning here as I have had such a long day and another one tomorrow. Oops it is after midnight so it is tomorrow LOL.

Keeping you in my prayers.....
 
It sounds like you're doing really well and I'm so happy for you! :yay: Aren't you thrilled to be past surgery and moving on to a new life with knees that will work!!!:happydance:

You deserved a nap after that doctor visit. :zzz: Did you not start out-patient PT until after the OS follow-up visit? They have me scheduled for 5 days post surgery and I won't be seeing the OS again for a week after. That frightens me a little.

Again, congrats and positive thoughts coming your way, Jane.

:SUNsmile:Linda
 
Did you not start out-patient PT until after the OS follow-up visit? They have me scheduled for 5 days post surgery and I won't be seeing the OS again for a week after. That frightens me a little.
I was in acute care in the hospital for 8 days before I came home, so had PT at the hospital (once I was on my feet). Home care came the day after I came home. The home care PT was approved to come twice a week for a couple of weeks. I came home from the hospital last Wednesday and scheduled to see the OS on Monday(yesterday) which was my 14 day from surgery. It was at yesterday's appointment they told me that I could start outpatient PT.

ditzy dinah I'm doing well, but not near as well as it sounds like you're doing.:ok: I can't imagine standing for a shower yet! I sleep about 2 hours at a time, need to get up to go to the bathroom. It at least keeps my knees moving and not so stiff. My knees feel tight when I bend them, they were a little swollen after all the walking and getting the staples out. A bit better today, they have the steri strips for a couple of weeks. Our OS doesn't want anything to be put on the legs or incision area until after the steri strips come off. Just wash with Baby Wash or a mild soap with no fragrance or lotions.

My husband, although meaning well, and gentle in many ways is used to working with machinery not injured legs, and with his gung ho attitude of must get the job done, is a little too pro active when it comes to taking stockings off and putting them on. My leg is not a pipe that can be forced!! He twisted it the other day! Ouch!!!
I was concerned about putting the ted hose on....my husband is missing fingers from birth defects so would have a hard time. I got one of the things that you thread the sock on then slide your foot into, pull on the cords to get the sock over your foot, then pull it up from there. I've been putting them on myself each day and it's going well.
My husband is taking good care of me, I'm so thankful to have him. My sister comes on her days off to release him from what he calls "house arrest".:heehee: We both look forward to it. He gets some time to himself and my sister(a registered nurse) gives me all the little touches that he has no clue about.:whistle:
Keep up the great progress!
 
Good girl Jane with the TED stockings they are really difficult to put on by yourself, so very good.
 
I was wondering if those sock helper gadgets would work for the hose :rolleyes: (which I'm not looking forward to wearing for weeks either). I was just looking at them today at the store but didn't purchase because I wasn't sure. Now I know. Thanks for the info, Jane.

I
My sister comes on her days off
I'm sure it is nice to have your sister pamper you a little and let DH get away from house arrest for a time. :flwrysmile: I'm wishing you continued good healing and hope you are pain free and able to get your rest. :sleep: Here's a great big hug coming your way. :puppysmooze:
Linda
 
Wow 8 days in the hospital? Sounds like you had a rough time? I was in for 6 but saw plenty of folk going after 3. They tend to keep the bilaterals a bit longer, most go home at day 5. I was held back a bit as I felt rough days 2and 3 and spent most of the day sleeping. Yes I am amazed to about my standing in the shower. I'd even bought a shower stool which hasn't come out of its box! Bending knees sitting down hurts, and standing doesn't, and my legs feel so straight and strong, it's marvellous!
I wonder if I'll need steri strips too? Wait and see. Thanks for the tips, I've gone back up to full strength pain relief this morning in preparation!
I never thought about the sock helper in terms of the ted stockings. They didn't give one out at the hospital, and I hadn't bothered getting one, just thought I wouldn't
Bother wearing socks! However I think I'll get one now. Yesterday dh didn't twist my leg, he twisted the stocking instead, so now it is on the wrong way round, and he doesn't like to be told, so I kept quiet, but it is irritating me. So if I can take over this job myself it will be a bit more independence!
Wonderful that you have your sister coming weekly. I am an only child, and I always wanted one of those. However I gave birth to a pair of sisters and their relationship is a joy to behold. My younger daughter who has no children yet, is coming to stay for a week next week when my husband goes back to work. She has worked as a carer, so I am looking forward to that thoughtfulness you mention, that hubby with the best will in the world doesn't think of, isn't it wonderful having such great care!
Sounds like you are doing great Jane! Remember I have just had partials while you have had totals. I know they say here that recovery is just the same, and I'm taking that on board, but smaller incisions, and leaving alone half of the knee must count for something! Go well :friends:
 
Dinah, I also have two daughters, your right, what a joy as they've grown to wonderful young women. They both live out of town 6 and 7 hours away and neither is able to come at least for another month. There are days I miss them so much, but that's what it is. They each call me everyday, and my oldest puts her 2 year son on the phone to say hi to Meme. He can't say love yet, so it comes out....." I U Meme!" :angel:It warms my heart and makes my day!!!

I'm so glad to hear that one of your daughters is coming to be with you. (It will be such a comfort for you.) Our men.....as hard as they try, just don't get it on the best of days!!!!:headbang: Mornings are my hardest time...it takes me awhile and apparently, takes him just as long if not longer to get going. I keep praying for patience, (for both of us!):wink:

I prefer putting the ted hose on myself. Even when my sister is there, I know what feels comfortable and I can slide it over my incisions much easier without it being painful than anyone else can.

There's two types of sock helpers, one is hard and about 6 inches long, it slides on the foot fairly easily, but it's a darn to get the thigh high ted hose threaded on it. I also have a soft style, the ted hose slides on pretty easy, it kind of folds in because it's soft, so it's just a bit harder to slide your foot into. I'm doing good picking up my feet so that's not a problem for me. I hardly use the grabber any more, not at all to dress, mainly when I'm in bed and something has fallen on the floor.

One of these days I will post about my first 8 days experience. Getting closer to doing it. There were a couple of nights in there that I learned a lot about the power of God. I can't imagine how I would have made it without his presence.:yes:
.
Hope all went well with OS appointment and the staples didn't hurt. My husbands aunt stopped by yesterday, she had bilateral done 6 years ago and said that having the staples removed was absolutely the worst part of the whole thing. She definitely had different experience than I'm having!
 
Hello Jane! Told you the staples out would be a breeze!!! You seem in good spirits and doing so well! Everyone's experience is different- every journey takes its own road. Never compare your healing to someone elses... just focus on the prize:) . Love your body every day! It is truely an amazing healing machine! Sending you cyber ((HUGS)) and positive healing ((vibs)):puppysmooze: Joan
 
Thanks Joan! You are my best cheerleader!:friends: I was catching up on your thread the other night. Did I tell you that your surgery was on my birthday? You've done so well and an inspiration to so many of us bonesmarties. I'm really looking forward to being at the point of trying out the Nordic poles. I might even be able to talk my hubby into doing it with me.

I had my first PT this morning. It started out a little rough.....by the time we got there and filled out all the paper work, I had been up for about an hour. (knees were starting to burn) We sat waiting a little bit on the therapist when I broke out in a cold sweat and ears ringing. :eeeuw: My hubby got me a drink of water and of course that was when they were ready for me! Anyway, they had me lay down for a bit and when I was feeling better we went ahead with the session. My therapist was pleased with my extension and rom. It was first thing in the morning and I wasn't moving well yet, he said I had 87 on the right and 90 on the left. He said it felt like the motion is there, they just need more healing to allow the movement. I scheduled all my appointments for next week for in the afternoon. I think I'll do much better.
So far I'm pleased.......my OS, his office staff, the hospital and now pt all have the same philosophy as Bonesmart. It's a good team.
 
Hi calamity, I too have grandchildren. My oldest daughter lives 50 miles away, and doesn't drive yet, so I don!t see her as much as I would like. But she is going to make passing her test a priority now. Funny but all of my kids have been slack about driving! Anyway she has two sons, so I have a little grandson of 21 months, my how the time has flown! He calls me m-ma. He calls his other grandma that to, but it is still thrilling! His little brother is just 4 weeks! So my daughter has her hands full! We speak most days when she is not too tired. The whole little family came to visit when I was in hospital, and they will come soon for a weekend, when I and husband feel up to it. It is delightful, :happydance: but looking after them all is hard work. I am also looking forward to seeing my son when he comes back from his 3 week California vacation!
Yes it does take awhile in the mornings doesn't it. If I wake up first, I stuff my comfy pillows in the bed and read until dh wakes up. That's just fine, then sometimes he goes downstairs and makes us a pot of tea and brings that back up with some juice and the papers. That's nice :SUNsmile: and then comes the worst part of the day...going downstairs. :sad: That is still very uncomfortable, although I suppose good exercise. Fortunately we have a wetroom downstairs so I can have my shower down there. Don't have to go back upstairs again until it's time for bed. Yes patience is the key. We seem to have settled into a routine that suits us both. No irritations today, it's been a good day. :flwrysmile:
Thanks for the info re the sock helper :yes!: . I had just been looking at both types on amazon, and trying to decide which type to buy, so that has been helpful. Luckily for me my OS prefers the knee high type, of stockings so my job is not as arduous as yours, as these do not cover my incisions. Nevertheless they are a pain, and I will be glad to be free of them! I have got a grabber but haven't needed to use it either. I can bend over straight legged a bit so picking things up has been ok.
My goodness Jane sounds as if you had a really rough time post op, I am so sorry. So glad you were able to find your inner strength through your faith to help you through it :console2:
..
My appt was with the practice nurse at my gps surgery for the staple removal and all went just fine. I wasn't worried as I have taken out so many staples in my nursing days, and never hurt anyone,so I had no reason to fear.wonder what on earth happened to auntie? Maybe hers had been left in too long, and they had become imbedded? Wonder how many folk she has scared with her tale of woe! :scary: Anyway, no seepage with mine, so no further covering yay!
Hope tomorrow is a good day for you :SUNsmile:
 
There's two types of sock helpers, one is hard and about 6 inches long, it slides on the foot fairly easily, but it's a darn to get the thigh high ted hose threaded on it. I also have a soft style, the ted hose slides on pretty easy, it kind of folds in because it's soft, so it's just a bit harder to slide your foot into.
I'm interested in getting one of those sock helpers before my surgery. Can you tell me where you bought them (or did the hospital provide)? I know I'll be having to wear those hose for 6 weeks (and I'm pretty sure I'm not goaa like them!). That and a wedge are the only tools I'm missing now I think.

Glad you're doing well after a tough start. May you have smooth sailing from here on out!:flwrysmile:
 
They're both available an Amazon. I bought the soft one on Amazon because someone recommended it. I got the hard one through the hospital OT in a kit that had tge grabber, shoehorn, sock helper and backscrubber gor $25. I still needed the grabber and shoehorn, so just went ahead with the kit.

A couple other items I bought that I was really glad I had was a cotton sports bra. It was so much more comfortable for lying in bed. I liked the Hanes style H570. It's low support, but was the only one that wasn't too tight.
The other thing was silky or slippery capris. I had gotten knit shorts and capris, but the pulled and twisted when sliding in and out of bed. I had also bought some danceskin large leg capris at Wal-mart. That's all I'm wearing. They slide on the bed so much easier. Believe me, that first week, anything that helps you move is well worth it!
 
QUESTION
Can anyone tell me how to get the BTKR symbol in front of my thread title? I missed doing it when I created the thread (my brain on drugs). Thanks.
 
:) Good Morning Jane! I hope you have a wonderful healing postitive day! :friends:
 
Hi Linda, I'm good. Still resting most of the time. I'm seeing improvement, sometimes it seems so small, but when I think about where a was a week ago and even two weeks ago....WOW I've come a long way. At first I wasn't able to move my legs at all. Now, I can move them (limited amount) but I can shift them without using the cane when I want to move them even a couple of inches. This is huge and I'm realizing, multiple small steps will make huge progress. I'm so thankful for the healing so far. I must admit, the first week was probably the hardest week of my life. I always preached to my kids....."Anything worth having, is worth working for." At this point in my life, my new knees are one of the most valuable things in my life.....it's not going to happen easily.

I did some stretching exercises for my extension that was recommended by PT. They said stretch for 10 minutes if possible, but if it hurt to stop. I did it a little less then 8 minutes. I took a nap right after and woke up feeling like both knees were swollen. I think I'm going to back it off to 5 minutes for awhile. So far I haven't had too much swelling, I'd like to keep it that way. The little swelling I've had feels like the joint is filled with cement. Totally makes sense that you can't make progress if your swollen. My priority has been to stay iced and elevated.

I think I'm going to call my OS tomorrow. I'm a bit concerned about my pain meds. In the hospital I was taking 2 percocets every 4 hours with 1-mscotin every 12 hours. When I came home the prescription for the Percocet was 1to2 every 6 hours. I haven't been able to make it the full 6 hours the majority of time. Just starting to when they took the mscotin away on Monday. Now with starting PT I'm averaging a pain level of 4 at about the 4 hour mark, then if I push to 6 hours to take the Percocet I'm getting close to a pain level of a 6. Then it's over an hour before it settles back down. I'm hoping I can get some better coverage than that.

:SUNsmile: Well, that got a little long. I was just going say I'm doing good!:heehee:

How are you doing? I hope you had a good day today.
 
I love your attitude and I'm sure it helps a lot. It does sound like you need more pain meds. I can tell you want to get going with stretching and doing what you need to do, but you won't have much success if it's painful and results in swelling. Apparently some swelling is even a result of and a reaction to pain, so I hope you get more help with that. Everyone is different and doctors tend to lump everyone into some "average" they've come up with which can't possibly fit everyone. I think a pain level of 6 is more than you should have to put up with.:sorry: Let us know after you talk to them about more pain control.

What day did you start out-patient OT? How do you go about getting your legs in the car?

I hope you're getting lots of pampering from your caregivers.:friends: Resting? You deserve it. Hugs to you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom