BTKR - Sept. 12 - Nerves starting to set in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome- I am a Sapphire too. Mine is on the 17th here in Australia which is a day ahead of USA in hours. The best thing was I stumbled on the site and feel right at home here. I know this is going to be hard the next 2 weeks but I am just doing what I haven't completed due to working. I'm off work now so I have time to be ready and next week is my last lot of tests and catch up with pre-admission and the OS last blood work pre-op.

Pack my items into my bags and do a few last minute things.

I have a hair cut and colour booked in the day before, that will at least get me through hopefully to my next due cut and colour. I am pampering myself with a pedicure and soak on the same day (no polish) someone else mentioned that on here and I hadn't even thought about toe nails until then.

Spring has come so I am off to shop and buy a few nice things. I have done some Christmas shopping early too.
So as you can tell I like to be prepared. So welcome to the Sapphire group.....
 
I have developed an avatar that I thought you might like to use. It is already sized to fit perfectly as I have tested it. On a PC, just right click on the attached picture and "save image as" in your picture files. Then hover your mouse of your user name at the top of the page and from the drop down menu select "Avatar". The click the browse button and find the picture in your files and double click it. Then click "Okay"and you are done. On an iPad, hold your finger on the image and you will be presented with the options to copy or save the image. Choose 'save the image' go to your user name, top of screen and select Avatar and then choose 'existing choice' and apply and bingo you have your new avatar.

[Bonesmart.org] BTKR - Sept. 12 - Nerves starting to set in!


If you are not interested, my feelings will not be hurt. I just enjoy doing this when the opportunity presents itself.
THANKS, Judy! I love, love, love it! It makes me smile. :-)
 
It is really nice that you have the option of going to rehab or home. I also had that option. I chose home, and it worked out really well. Best of luck to you on your upcoming surgery! I had BTKR on June 18th. I am almost 11 weeks post op. I hosted a dinner party last night and even did the clean up after! The first 6 weeks seemed really long, but looking back it has seemed progress was made pretty quick. I was back at work (desk job/part time) at 7 or 8 weeks.
Wow! That's a speedy recovery! You're an inspiration.
 
Many of us feel that way, but as a very smart lady on this forum (Jesse :yay: ) said:

so I'm going to try to think of asking for help as a positive thing and a good learning experience. I've always been very independent. But, you know, I think sometimes friends are looking for/hoping for ways to pay us back for the favors we've done for them. Helping out sometimes makes it seem like they've evened the score and they don't "owe" us anymore. Not that I would look at it like that, but I have seen that sometimes people seem to feel relieved to be able to help out. :friends:
That is VERY WISE! Thank you. I agree that people like to help, especially if you ask for specific help. And they know I'll be there for them when THEY have surgery!
 
Everyone is being so helpful and encouraging! I read all the articles Josephine sent the links for, and they were very informative. I didn't realize the recuperation from BTKR would be so looooong! And I wasn't aware of the post-op blues. But when you realize what you're going through, it's all very logical. I just hadn't thought about it that way. Now I feel that being forewarned is forearmed (or four-armed with crutches?) and feel better prepared already. It's going to be a WILD RIDE!!! WHEEEEEE
 
[Bonesmart.org] BTKR - Sept. 12 - Nerves starting to set in!
turtlepoet, do prepare yourself for being up in the wee hours of the morning because you just can't get comfortable in bed. Hope you have a good recliner---you may find that you're living in it. This is why lots of catnapping during the day is an imperative.
Find things to keep you busy, but nothing that requires a lot of concentration (like reading). The pain meds keep you from being able to focus for long periods of time. And you'll be taking your pain meds on a schedule for several months. I couldn't focus enough to read novels until about the beginning of month 2. I did watch a lot of mind numbing TV and catnapped a lot while doing that.

THE SECRET OF SUCCESS with joint replacements is TIME & PATIENCE. We have to have (or find) the PATIENCE to give our knees TIME to heal at their own pace. Nothing else works like these two things and nothing can take their place. But it is a very hard truth to absorb in the beginning of our recoveries.

Recovery is what it is, and it's going to take as long as it's going to take. So be PATIENT and let TIME take care of things with some assistance from you. If you follow the BoneSmart mantras, you WILL have the best possible recovery. Not following them usually leads to unnecessary pain and suffering.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

BTW, glad you love the avatar---it was my pleasure to make it up for you.
 
Hi turtlepoet Another BTKR here to offer you support and encouragement. I'll be 9 weeks out on Tuesday and I'm starting to get back to a normal active life. It was a bit rough at first but a steady progress even with a few mishaps along the way.
I now take fewer pain meds than I did before my surgery and I went for a walk on the beach yesterday and realized my knees didn't hurt and seemed stronger than before.
I have a ways to go but life is improving already.
Wanda
 
Hi My way and congratulations on your new knees! You're Wonder Woman now, right? Walking on the beach at 9 weeks sounds wonderful. When you got home, what was the toughest part of your daily living activities and how did you adapt? When did you feel able to drive, or have you yet?
 
Hi turtlepoet You know I was trying to remember the first week or so at home and the difficulties. Somehow it seems like a dream or something. Must have been the meds. :snork: I do know I slept a lot! Getting up from a chair was sometimes hard so I avoided anything that was low. My husband raised the love seat by about 6 inches but it was 3 weeks before I sat in it. I would use the front bar of the walker to push myself up if a chair didn't have two arms. I have a raised toilet set that I still use but I can now get up from a regular toilet if I have to without much discomfort. Stairs were no problem. Just go one step at a time and slowly. I also used a bath transfer bench when I was allowed to shower. Now I can do it like a big girl.:heehee:
I have been able to drive now for about 3 weeks only when I don't have strong meds that I still take once in a while.

My appetite wasn't good for a long time, nothing appealed to me. I guess it was the meds.
The main thing to remember is take your meds on time!!!!! Don't let the pain get ahead of you. Rest and elevate,rest and elevate.....Ice!
Take it slow and easy. Be patient. feel free to ask questions here. We all learned from each other and want to pass it on.
Not quite Wonder Woman yet but getting there one day at a time.
Wanda
 
I have a raised toilet set that I still use
Did you need grab bars or the frame with handles around the toilet to get up? I have a very small bathroom and on one side I have the shower door and on the other side I can possibly have a grab bar installed, but it's a very tight space. I'm a little concerned about that issue.
 
Hi VancouverUSAgal Mine didn't have handles. I took the walker in with me and used one hand on the vanity and the other the walker to help me up. You will be surprised at how inventive you will become. :snork: I remember the day I came home and without thinking sat at the desk. The office chair was at it's lowest!!! I couldn't get up!! My husband wheeled me around the house trying to find a place where I could haul myself up. We finally thought of opening the back door so I could step down to the deck. I put the walker in front of me and stood up. Then it was a simple matter to just step back inside. :rotfl: It wasn't funny at the time though.
you'll be fine
Wanda
 
My appetite wasn't good for a long time, nothing appealed to me. I guess it was the meds.
Yep---I could nto find anything remotely appetizing---even my most favorite of food was ver bland and tasteless.

Take it slow and easy. Be patient.
That is the key---time and patience!

Did you need grab bars or the frame with handles around the toilet to get up?
No, I did not, but others have reported that they needed them.
 
Vancouver, I have the frame with the handles attached. I can probably get up now on a good day w/o using them. However, in the beginning THEY WERE VERY NECESSARY. :groan:

What are you thinking of getting? I've seen the ones that just sit on top w/no handle and some with handles. I'd definitely recommend handles. Make sure it's sturdy too. Some of them look like I would've ripped them to shreds in the early stages of recovery. :heehee: You can also use your walker, but you'll probably need to maneuver it into your bathroom... I did.

Turtle Poet, WHEEEEEEE is right. Sometimes we just put our hands up in the air and enjoy the ride :yay:, and other times we hold on tight for dear life! :sos:

We will get through it though. :ok:
 
It wasn't funny at the time though.
I can imagine! Well, I'm probably over-thinking some of this. I'm sure it will all work out. For years I've been dealing with issues of not being able to get up from low chairs, step up without holding on to the door frame, etc. so it probably won't be much different.

I already have the raised toilet seat so was hoping not to have to get any more equipment for there, but I'm torn because I do want to make things as easy as possible. I think I'll still see about the possibility of adding a small grab bar on the other side from the one on the shower door. Beside, my wide body might not fit between some of those handle thingies. :umm:
 
Beside, my wide body might not fit between some of those handle thingies. :umm:​

That's the thing. I fit okay, but I better gain any more weight, or I'll need the Jaws of Life to get me off the commode. lol The handle bars are a blessing and a curse, because (here comes the TMI) they prevent you from opening your legs to tidy up :heehee: So you have to stand up to finish the job. I might as well be a dude. Hey, I do have one of those "Go Girl" stand up potty devices, maybe I should whip it out for my next surgery. I bought it as I gag gift for me and my friends, but it may come in handy now. :rotfl:
 
I has no appetite for several weeks after my first surgery in June, thanks to the meds I was on. Seriously, I would make myself a piece of toast in the morning and could only force myself to eat half of it. I knew I had to eat food with my meds, but it was tough. My appetite was coming back, and then I had my second surgery on August 6th. This time, I still didn't have an appetite, but was at least able to eat and enjoy my food. I think I'm finally back to normal just these past few days, and it will be four weeks tomorrow.
 
I was the same way. Even now I have NO appetite in the morning. I literally have to MAKE myself eat a piece of bread w/my meds when I wake up. Unfortunately, the appetite comes on strong late in the afternoon and continues until I go to bed. Maybe I'm upside down like a newborn. :spin:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom