BTKR - Sept. 12 - Nerves starting to set in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Turtlepoet
As you can see I too am a turtle fan! Welcome to Bonesmart and our special club. Everyone on the site is great and will help you through this transition.

I had BTKR 5 months ago yesterday (April). A lot has happened since then! I remember putting a travel mug full of tea in the pocket of my walker bag to hobble to the living room; now I carry a regular cup from the kitchen w/o a second thought. And I think I lived mainly on crackers for the first month, and I made it through the entire series of The Office because my concentration skills for reading were so poor. Those days are long gone.

The best parts of this surgery are as follows: (1) it's OVER. (2) The decision making is over too; no more wondering if/when/who about the surgery. (3) Every minute of every day, your knees are getting better instead of worse. (4) A day will come when you walk or sit or stand and realize...you haven't been in pain. Yay!
j
 
I'm late coming into the conversation, but take whatever time you can get in a rehab center, and THEN have your husband take a week off when you come home! I was 4 nights in the hospital and 10 in rehab, coming home two weeks post op, and as well as I was doing by then, it was really important to have my husband home so I could keep my legs up and heal after my btkr 15 months ago. Good luck!
 
Thanks for the advice and joining in, Janet. :thankyou: I will be discussing this issue with my surgeon at my pre-op appt. I was told the surgeons prefer to send us directly home and I'm going to ask him why. Does he think people do better at home if they have enough help or is it because we don't have a dedicated joint-replacement rehab facility in the area? A neighbor told me she had a good experience after her hip job at a nearby care center and I'll talk to her more as well.

I live with my grown son. He's a great guy but I'm sure his patience will have its limits and I can get a touch (?) cranky when I'm not feeling well.:tantrum: It will be an experience for both of us, I'm sure.
 
I think VancouverUSAgal that each hospital is different. Some like to get more patients in and home as it is a business after all. They may have home nursing and they will come each day but at the end of the day I believe if you do not feel you are going to be able to manage then you just stay at the hospital a little longer. It is after all a major operation and everyone tolerates pain differently and copes differently.

I am on count down now :(
 
Shame on you, possum_here! That frown should be a great big [Bonesmart.org] BTKR - Sept. 12 - Nerves starting to set in! ! In just another week, you'll have a brand new knee and be on your way to recovery. Gotta' THINK POSITIVE.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
bottomshollow I know I should be cheering I am this close to my surgery but I am anxious and so much is happening from yesterdays meeting (I spoke about it on my ever growing post)

I know this group cares, as I care for you all. I am good at helping others but when it comes to myself, you just tend to not do right by yourself.

My head space is not good at the moment but please bear with me.
 
I have lost my section to put the little things in like pictures or smiley faces where would I find that now??
 
I have lost my section to put the little things in like pictures or smiley faces where would I find that now??
Did you somehow lose the menu bar across the top of your new message? That's where I see all the options for font type, size, color, and emoticons. However, it may be possible to click on something and make it go away. If so, I'm surprised I haven't done it yet because I'm good at inadvertently doing tricks like that!
:SUNsmile:Linda
 
Im 3 months post op from BTKR. I had a bit of a. I really developed selfconfidence there. Had i been home, I think I would be too afraid to do too much. By the time I left, I was able towalk with crutches and go up and down 4 steps. bumpy road, tearing my quadricep muscle about 6 weeks post op,but here I am at 3 months feeling great and getting ready to go bsck to work.

As far as rehab goes, I stayed in a wonderful rehabcenter for 8 days after my 3 day hospital stay and I loved it
 
I'm so glad to hear you've made it through to a good recovery and are ready to return to work. I wish I could just skip to the 3-month-after point but guess it doesn't work that way. Can't fly over the thicket - gotta go thru it!

Always good to hear from BTKR's who have done well. Thanks for your response. Hope your return to work goes well.
Linda
 
19 months out from my BTKR........MissJ hit the nail on the head, it'll be over, you are immediately on the mend. The first few months are ridiculous so hunker down and try to relax because this cannot be rushed. I had a slow recovery but guess what, I RECOVERED! We'll be cheering for you on the bright side....
 
I don't know about rehab yet. That is a big thing on my list to discuss with OS at my pre-op physical appt. I have mixed feelings about it although it sure seems like a good idea for BTKR's. We'll see what he has to say. I will have my grown son with me 24/7 for as long as I need but I know his patience may be sorely tested so I'm sure he would favor a stay in rehab for me. I'm hoping the OS recommends that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom