BTKR Scheduled for January 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I am trying to be flexible with my progress.
You have to be. Many of us are those controlling people that have to plan things, and chart things and focus on when something is supposed to happen.

With a TKR or a BTKR recovery, you are not in charge of anything---to quote my darling bride, "You are not on that committee."

The committee is made up of the surgical knee, the knee is the chairman of the committee, and does not take any input, either.

You have to just take it easy, relax, and and let the knee do what it needs and wants to do---heal at its own pace.

As another cliche goes, "Don't sweat it." You just take things as they come and know that you will reach your destination fo being fully recovered.
 
Absolutely! I should have "don't sweat it" put on a t- shirt.
Who me?? Controlling? Thanks so much!
 
I used cocoa butter with Vit. E. If nothing else it was a nice moisturizer. And you smell like you're on the beach. :heehee:
 
I had several knee surgeries prior to the BTKR, or, waht my friends refer to as "the big one."

During rehab for the prior surgeries, things went pretty much as planned and there were really no setbacks. I also was able to work hard and see the results. My PT's then were cheering me on, and I reveled in the enjoyment of working hard---it took me back to my days in college and working out for football.

I admittedly had a great deal to learn after my BTKR, and one of the most frustrating things, now that I look back at it, was that it was not about hard owrk, and it was not about me being in charge.

Once I came to those conclusions, my knees and I got along pretty well---confusing at times, but at least I did not get angry or frustrated. I hopped on the roller coaster ride and just went with it---the ups and the downs.
 
Thanks referee54, I appreciate the input from "the other side". What a great perspective, not to see my knees as the enemy.
Thanks. Cannot even say how helpful this forum has been.
Have a friend who is having a TKR in Feb. passing on this wealth of info.
 
Tomorrow is your big day!!!

Thoughts and prayers for you---please come back and post when you are feeling up to it!

We are waiting to hear how things went and how you are doing!
 
Welcome from a another "BTKR" patent. I was totally amazed at the total lack or the pain I was having after the surgery.
I went straight to a really nice rehab center and spent two intense weeks there. I then changed to outpatient for another three weeks. I never had any unbearable pain the worst was the bruising of the upper legs.

Good luck, you will soon be on the "other side"
 
Thanks so much. I love the thought of a lack of pain after surgery, but in reality, will be happy if it is better than now.
Keep those good thoughts and prayers coming. Talk to y'all on the other side
 
Hope everything went well. Just take one bite out of the elephant at a time. Remember, there is NOT a window to regain your motion. You will continue to obtain motion throughout the year. Life is therapy, re engage.
Best to you,
David
 
How do I get over to the post op area? I am 2 days out and making slow, steady progress.
I appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers. My 2 new knees are swollen, but we are getting to know each other. Great hospital here and the staff has been awesome. They have given loads of encouragement, but stop when I say stop.
Thank you Bonesmart for helping me be prepared far more than I would have had on my own.
Had surgery wed. And will be going home Sunday. Just in time for the Super Bowl. But I believe I will sleep through most of it.
Looking forward to see how the others have done. Love y'all. Be back after another nap
 
Hello Fawkes,
I am glad to hear that you are doing well. I take several naps a day too and slept really well last night.
 
Hope you are well. It is different pain than before surgery. But pre medicating before moving and walking reeeeeeealy helps.
I will be going home with home health and P.T. Coming to the house for a couple of weeks. Then to out patient rehab. It did not work out for me to go to a rehab, but I think I will do fine.
Hope you are icing and resting. So much sleeping! But our bodies have been through major surgery.
Take care.
 
When I have a patient with BTKR, I explain to them, that they have the energy of someone who just had a heart attack. Just getting dressed can wear you out. It is perfectly normal to tire. It takes a great deal to heal one knee let alone 2 at the same time.
You are doing just fine
David
 
@Fawkes, just go to Knee Replacement on the white line at the top of the page. Hover over it, and then click on Knee Replacement Recovery Area in the drop down. Once there click on Post New Thread in the black obong box in the upper right hand corner. You have to start a new thread. When you do your title, be sure to click on "prefix" so you can select TKR to be placed in front of your thread title.
 
Hi, Fawkes. So much sleeping indeed, it's good for you. As David says, you've been through plenty. You've plenty to come, too -- BUT that knee pain, that awful stabbing crippling pain, is gone already, isn't it :dancy:?

And you will be, as David says, wrecked as your body takes ALL the resources to heal. Daytime TV may be a real mental challenge... :)
 
Hello @Fawkes, How are you doing? I saw a post of yours somewhere else saying your ROM was 110 and 116. You are doing great! Wish mine was that good but it will get there. Hope you are doing well.

Cindy
 
Hi Texan, never could set up my thread in post op. I am technically challenged. I have been following your thread and Bluetechseeker. I am doing well. Long days P.T. Twice a week. They are good and not too pushy. Still having rough nights, but it's getting better. Supposed to go back to work in 5 weeks or so. Makes me nervous just thinking about it. My husband and I have a 20th anniversary cruise planned the end of April with family and friends. That has been my motivation to get strong.
Having trouble finding clothes to cover knee scars. No shorts for me but capris seem a better choice. Keeping vit.E and cocoa butter on scars but I think it will be a long time until they are a little less noticeable.
Hope you are well, getting stronger every day. So glad I had this done(most days), hope you are too.
Thanks for keeping up. It's so interesting to see how different everyone is. We all have our own path,and our own pace.
Take care, keep moving.
Fawkes (Sue)
 
It is so good to hear from you! I wasn't really worried about the scar before surgery but now I am a little worried that it isn't going to lighten up. I started using vitamin E oil yesterday. My days of wearing shorts are probably over. That is so nice to have a goal to shoot for. You will probably be much better in 5 weeks. If you look at the chart in the library, 12 weeks looks a lot better! My goal is still a couple of months away. We are going to Lake Powell in Utah and renting a houseboat with family and friends. P/T is going pretty good. The therapist massaged the area around my knee last week and the next day I almost felt normal. After the next p/t, my knee was stiff for days. I told him all of this and he said we needed to back off some of the exercises. I'm glad he decided that and I didn't have to say anything to him. Icing and elevating now so hopefully I will have a good report for him in a few days. I will keep you in my prayers for the next few weeks to show great strides in your recovery. Let me know how you are progressing.

Cindy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom