BTKR Scheduled for January 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! Anyone have info on treating scars at operative site? I have heard people swarmed about cocoa butter etc. would love any input.also, (sorry if it is a stupid question), how many days are you supposed to go without shaving?
Don't like that leg stubble.
 
I cannot speak about not shaving, as well, er, I do not worry about that...:snork:

Some people have put Vitamin E oil on it---others have gone the cocoa butter route---I did nothing and it turned out fine; perhaps others will chime in and help you out!
 
I used an electric shaver a couple of days before and about two weeks after surgery. No one said not to to me. I shaved very slow and carefully and only my lower leg. I know they are worried about infection if you cut yourself which is why I used my hubby's shaver. I would not use a regular razor. Hope this helps!
 
I was not concerned about it---they shaved both of mine the day of the surgery in the pre-op ward.

On Monday, why don't you give the OS a call and see what they ave to say about it?
 
Thanks to all.will find out more this week with pre-op.
The electric razor idea is a good one. Also vit.E is a good idea.
Thanks.
P.s. I love this site!
 
Hi Fawkes and welcome! I agree that Vit 3 oil or cocoa butter can help (used also for stretch marks). There also scar gel products marketed specifically for scars. As a pharmacist, I am not really sure how well they work. I am having surgery in March, I plan to get some cocoa butter for my scars. Good luck to you on your surgery!

Regards
Angela
 
Had my pre op visit today and was told my OS des not do a spinal just General. He thinks that it delays movement with a BTKR.
I have heard so much about the post op pain. Any experience out there with just GA, with I'VE pain med.post-op?
Thanks
 
I cannot speak for a GA witha BTKR as I had a spinal, but I will tell you that the care-givers that I had were awesome. The nurses instructed me to make sure to let them know if and when I was in any pain. They took great pride on making sure that I was pain-free.

I did have a pain-management pump that was delightful!
 
Had my pre op visit today and was told my OS des not do a spinal just General. He thinks that it delays movement with a BTKR.
I have heard so much about the post op pain. Any experience out there with just GA, with I'VE pain med.post-op?
Thanks

Good evening,
I had GA with no nerve block for my BTKR last week.... I couldn't see where it made things any different for me.
I was able to stand on post op day 1 & 2 but didn't walk until post op day 3, early morning. I was discharged on post op day 4 to go home!

I did have a PCA pain pump for the first 24 hours then went to two Percocet Five every four hours after that.

I liked the pump!!!

HTH,
Jacki
 
You'll do just fine with a general. The important thing is to communicate with your medical team if you are in any pain following surgery. Don't try to "tough it out." The goal is to manage your pain properly from the moment you wake up in recovery!
 
You'll do just fine with a general. The important thing is to communicate with your medical team if you are in any pain following surgery. Don't try to "tough it out." The goal is to manage your pain properly from the moment you wake up in recovery!
:goodpost::iagree:Excellent advice---make sure that you communicate with the nurses, etc- if you have pain. Let them know---you should have no pain.
 
Thanks. JackiFL how are you doing now one week out?
Went for my pre-op class and was really encouraged by the staff and the facility.
Looking forward to getting on with it. 6 days to go.
 
Thanks. JackiFL how are you doing now one week out?
Went for my pre-op class and was really encouraged by the staff and the facility.
Looking forward to getting on with it. 6 days to go.

I'm doing better than I thought I'd be, honestly, @Fawkes!

I've got great ROM but lousy quads. I'm a clock watcher for my meds and the one time I missed a dose, I felt it.... took me about 7-8 hours to get back to "normal".

My staples are coming out tomorrow morning!

Six days to go and it sure sounds like you're ready :-)

Jacki
 
OK, Fawkes. Everyone 's told you all the details so I'll summerize on what counts.
Pain meds......take 'em by the clock. Forget all the gung ho's trying to prove they don't need 'em or (shudder) gonna get hooked. You NEED them and you're NOT gonna get hooked. No pain = easier to do everything else. (simple). And use 3 alarm clocks to TAKE them on the clock. (little tip: in the hospital, I always told the nurse my pain was an 8 regardless. It kept the dose up higher and me much better.....yeah.) Next. - forget about the shaving stuff, the scar stuff, the swelling stuff, the beating yourself up exercising stuff. And all the other STUFF. It won't be important. Next, - ICE . Next, - ice. ( I know I said it twice....& that's not enough) OH, and with the ice is of course the "make like a Rockette" and get those legs UP. As in elevate, elevate, elevate. that's it.....nothing else matters. See, now you can go back to relaxing and just get this thing overwith easily. :tada:
 
[Bonesmart.org] BTKR Scheduled for January 29th
@Fawkes, so now all you have to do is follow it! :heehee:
 
Yes, there is quite a variety - from people who have gone home the night of surgery to people who have gone to rehab for 2 weeks. I think it just depends on how you do, any other medical conditions, how much help you have at home, etc. The average or typical (if there is one) would seem to be 4 days in hospital and then home or 2-3 days in rehab. I know my surgeon is planning on sending me home after 4 days (for bilateral). At first I thought it would be a good idea to go to rehab but now I'm leaning the other way because I know I'll sleep better at home and local rehab facilities don't have private rooms. As long as I can get myself to the bathroom and there are no other problems, I'd rather be at home. However, others have been glad they went to rehab. Some have had great experiences, some not so much. You should discuss it with your OS and find out what rehab center if that's the plan and find out all you can.

Don't listen to the scare stories! For some reason, people either want to tell you how "Uncle Stan" was hiking mountains after 2 weeks or they want to tell you about "Aunt Susie's" horrible experience. Just close your ears to all that. You'll get a much better idea of how it is for folks by reading thru the recovery threads on here. About bilateral, the same thing - it's either the best idea or the worst. Just ignore.

When I was previously scheduled for my BTKR in Oct (which ended up being postponed), they had scheduled me for outpatient PT the day after coming home. When I protested that I thought that was a little soon to be getting dressed and in-out of car twice, I was brushed off with "Oh, it'll be good for you." The more I've thought about that, the more I'm determined not to let them push me that way. I'm going to tell them I don't have transportation for the first 2 weeks so they'll have to send PT to my home. From there, I'll see how I'm doing, but I'm more and more convinced that healing needs to come before "working" at PT which is pushed so hard here in this country but not in others.
 
Hello Fawkes, I was wondering what to use also. My neighbor used Mederma and her scars look great. I looked for cocoa butter but couldn't find any. I have vitamin E so I'll probably use that.
 
Thank you thank you all. Great advice. I so appreciate all the input.
Y'all (sorry, from N.C.) have really helped me relax and feel more in control. Have gotten better info. here than from some of the staff at the hospital.
I am planning on coming home after discharge, will definitely sleep better also. But I am trying to be flexible with my progress.
But I am so much more motivated than before I started on this site.
Thanks so much. P.s. Mederma is a great idea.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom