BTKR at the young age of 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally understand that "kid in December" feeling. I finally finished everything on my to-do list, minus a few minor things that can't be done until the day I leave, so I am just sitting here trying to relax and not focus on the pain. Only four more sleeps.
 
Have you started your Post-op thread yet? :)

Since your blog mentioned sleeping, thought I'd mention I got little sleep the night before my surgery. But it wasn't because I was upset or worried, simply because I had to be at the hospital early and I'm a night owl. I figured I'd sleep once I was on the table. Also, I knew (or at least thought I knew) I had done all I could to prepare. And I decided what happened the next morning at the hospital was in God's hands. So I was at complete peace of mind as I was wheeled into the operating room.

My suggestion is that you focus on the big goals, the big things you will do once you have the working joints. Keep them in mind when your recovery seems to be taking forever, or you hit a setback. As I told my doctor when I asked for the referral to the surgeon, this isn't about my being able to climb steps in the house.
 
Oh I understand the not sleeping part. I have a feeling it will be like a kid the night before christmas. I'll take my Ambien and try to get whatever sleep I can get. I'll be staying in the hotel at the hospital the night before, so they are actually going to come get me directly from there sometime in the morning. So no getting up early to drive in, just have to get up, shower, put on my gown and wait. Have already registered and all that jazz so it's straight from that room to pre-op where they will put my IV in and get me ready for surgery.

I've pretty much finished everything around the house that I feel needs to be done. Much like you said I am at ease with that part, so from here out I am just relaxing as much as I can and trying to not let anyone around me stress me out. It seems that they are more stressed than I am.

And I will remember the big picture. Getting on my bike and going for a long ride, running around with my nieces and nephew without any worries, going on a trip to an amusement park. Can't wait to get to do all those.
 
Two more sleeps for you, Michael. xx

Reading Kathy's note makes me smile, but in a tired way. :mcoffee:
The one thing I haven't been able to do since surgery is sleep. In the 7 weeks since my TKR I have tried just about everything to get and stay asleep short of using prescription sleeping aids. Nothing has worked.

Seems to be a rather common problem among us all post op; I hear eventually we are able to get to sleep, in the meantime it's no sleep for me.... :yawn:
 
I had a to do list prior to surgery and it was a blessing to be able to look at it and do something productive from it. Worked wonders in keeping me occupied and focused.

Most importantly Michael, have a very successful operation. May it be a blessing to you and give you back the life you deserve. Once you make it to the other side, I will be waiting to hear all about your adventures! All the best to you! :thumb:
 
Thanks Kathy and Elisea. I am ready, not really nervous. More or a sugar plums in my head excitement going on. I don't really know what a good nights sleep is anyways,

I don't remember the last time that I actually slept so a loss of sleep after surgery won't be much different. I don't really expect to sleep much at the hospital, them folks don't like to let you sleep there, and I am already on sleeping aides so will just continue those after surgery. The one thing that is going to kill me is that I am not much of a back sleeper. I'd rather be on a side or on my stomach. I won't be able to do that some Wednesday but I guess I will get used to it.

I ready for the other side, roller coasters, running around with family, riding a bike, and just enjoying life.
 
hello michael i wish my thoughts and prayers for u as u go into this surgery. I am 41 on feb 6th 2012 i went into have a left tkr after my os tried arthroscopy synvisc and cortisone shots. i was bone on bone. then 2 months after surgery i was still in excruiating pain and no progress in pt. then my regular dr sent me to a dr in a bigger city which told me the 1st dr put wrong size replacement in on june 14th the second dr did a revision the tkr all over again but still not getting better. But i am one of a kind i guess they dont see this i guess. He is now sending me to mayo clinic now he thinks it could be something like a neurological or bone disorder. Just make sure u have a good dr and stay positive and do your research this surgery is a big surgery. but you will do fine stay positive and will keep u in my thoughts and prayers thank god for this website its nice to know ur not alone in all this.
 
Reading Kathy's note makes me smile, but in a tired way. :mcoffee:
The one thing I haven't been able to do since surgery is sleep. In the 7 weeks since my TKR I have tried just about everything to get and stay asleep short of using prescription sleeping aids. Nothing has worked.

Seems to be a rather common problem among us all post op; I hear eventually we are able to get to sleep, in the meantime it's no sleep for me.... :yawn:

Hi Kathy... If I may offer a suggestion. I took melatonin, 3mg and I finally got some sleep. Going on 14 weeks and noticing sleeping is getting easier.
 
About to head to Nashville to get settled for the night and then have dinner with some friends. I'll try to post one more message tomorrow before they come to get me. Should be 24 hours from now!
 
Here's to a smooth day tomorrow. See you on the other side!
 
Michael, Stay well and stay positive! You're on your way to a better pain free life!:thumb: We'll see you on the other side!:friends:
 
Michael,
Saying a prayer that your operations goes smoothly tomorrow. Saw that you are headed to Nashville, are you having the surgery at Vanderbilt? I had a 4th opinion from the head of ortho oncology at Vanderbilt Dr Schwartz.
Great hospital if that's where your having it done. Will look for you on the other side.
 
[Bonesmart.org] BTKR at the young age of 31
 
Michael

I'm in Nashville also. Recovery is going great. So happy to be on the other side. It hurts, but not the bone on bone hurt. When I step, I don't feel anything in the joint, it's amazing!
 
Michael

I'm in Nashville also. Recovery is going great. So happy to be on the other side. It hurts, but not the bone on bone hurt. When I step, I don't feel anything in the joint, it's amazing!

What hospital you at? I am in St. Thomas.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom