BTKR at the young age of 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Shanis, always helpful to hear from someone closer to my age. I too used to run but that is not anything I have seen for years now. I am looking forward to getting onto a bike and pick that up like I used to run. Getting my life back is going to be amazing.

I don't have any kids, but I do have 2 nieces and a nephew. I understand that whole, uncle has bad knees line. Come next spring I am going to be out running around with them laughing and not sitting on the sidelines. Man that is going to be awesome.
 
Ugh, went to the store today and ran a few more errands that needed to get completed and am now worn out. Knees are killing me. Can't wait for the day that I won't be so exhausted after just making a trip to the grocery.

Think big. If you can't wait for the day you can ride your bike 100 miles, trips to the grocery store will be nothing.
 
Thanks Shanis, always helpful to hear from someone closer to my age. I too used to run but that is not anything I have seen for years now. I am looking forward to getting onto a bike and pick that up like I used to run. Getting my life back is going to be amazing.

A suggestion, if I may: be specific. Plan what you are going to do, and when you are going to do it. I find it helps. And at worst it kills time.
 
Michael

My journey started when I was your age, tore up the first at about 29. Second one around 33. We'll do great since our muscles and bones are young, yours just happen to about 20 years younger than mine. Attitude is everything. My wife and I started biking late last summer and right now I couldn't bike around the block, but it is going to start again around November or December And I plan on doing a 64 mile ride by May. Can't wait to be able to ride and walk without pain. Make sure you post when you get on the other side. Now that I am getting really lose, the anxiety is starting to fade and I am ready to drive through the 7-23 date and start over.
 
Updated my blog earlier today with details on preparing my freezer meals. Man am I worn out. Only 13 sleeps between me and surgery day.
 
Michael

My journey started when I was your age, tore up the first at about 29. Second one around 33. We'll do great since our muscles and bones are young, yours just happen to about 20 years younger than mine. Attitude is everything. My wife and I started biking late last summer and right now I couldn't bike around the block, but it is going to start again around November or December And I plan on doing a 64 mile ride by May. Can't wait to be able to ride and walk without pain. Make sure you post when you get on the other side. Now that I am getting really lose, the anxiety is starting to fade and I am ready to drive through the 7-23 date and start over.

It's going to be amazing getting to that other side. My anxiety has started to fade away, I still have moments but really it's not too bad. It seems to be getting easier the more that I get marked off my to-do list. We are both getting so close to our "Born-Again" dates.
 
I just realized that I did not give a grand total of meals that are now prepared for me to easily cook/reheat after surgery so here's the list.

Dinners:
2 - Baked Ziti​
2 - Cheese & Chicken Shells​
4 - Lasagna​
4 - Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake​
4 - Chicken Rollatini with Spinach alla Parmigina (2 wraps per bag)​
2 - Crock Pot BBQ Chicken​
4 - Taco Soup​
12 - Chicken Enchiladas​
8 - Frozen Pizzas​
19 - Buffalo Chicken Tenders​
12 - Twice Baked Bake Potatoes​

Breakfast:
10 - Pancakes (packs of 3)​
12 - Breakfast Burritos​
16 - Bacon, Eggs, & Cheese Croissants​

So with all that listed I should have enough breakfast to last over 30 days, 38 days to be specific if I only eat one pack a day. As for the dinners, most will last for multiple days. So doing the math on them I have 22 meals that can feed me at least 2 days each so 44 days there, and then 8 pizzas, 19 chicken tenders, 12 Enchiladas, and finally 12 Bake Potatoes for an addition to a meal or as a meal in its own. So I essentially have around 60 days worth of dinners to eat.

All in all, I think that I have plenty of food to eat while I am not going to want to be on my feet for extended periods doing the prep work. If anyone is interested in reading about the work it took to get this together you can do so on my blog.
 
Not to rain on your parade, but you might be on a "blood thinner" for a time after surgery. Coumadin has some odd dietary restrictions - spinach is one item you need to be careful with, since its loaded with Vitamin K, which counteracts the drug. Just something to keep in mind.. the best lain plans of Michael and mice gang aft agley.
 
Well I guess it's good that I only have spinach in two of the recipes and from the little reading I have done the rest of the recipes do not include foods that I have to avoid while on Coumadin. Thanks for the info though.
 
Bon appetite, my young friend! I spent ages getting meals frozen and tins and packets of stuff in stock. Never ate any of it! My appetite was shot and I only fancied things like toast (which needed fresh bread!) or chocolate! Hopefully you will beat that particular disadvantage!
 
I found my taste for food returned a few days after surgery. As for you, if I came home to face beans on toast or blood pudding I'd give up eating too. :)
 
Michael,
I think you may have stumbled, no pun intended, onto a goldmine for a business idea. Preparing and packaging after surgery meals to ship the week prior to surgery. They could be FEDEXed with dry ice overnight to ensure quality and safety. Since your doing the cooking I'll take 5% suggestion fee :ok:
 
Ha, it's a ton of work, and there are already a few places around that do this type of thing (The Dinner A’Fare, broken link removed: https://www.supersuppers.com/menu/locate_store.php?popup=true, and Dream Diners). That is where I got the idea to prepare these meals ahead of time. We used to buy a few meals for people that I worked with that were either having a baby or surgery. Always made their life a little easier afterwards.
 
I didn't have much appetite for a couple of months after surgery like Jo. I also ate just simple foods. It's great that you prepared all the food. I had prepared a bunch of food for my family, they ate it all and I was satisfied with cream cheese and jelly sandwiches, toast, and eggs.
 
Well, luckily I haven't had any issues with a loss of appetite after any of my previous surgeries. But if I do then all these meals I prepared will hold for a while so when I get my appetite back I will be able to eat it.
 
...I have Psoriatic Arthritis ... I stumbled upon this forum as I was looking for someone around my age who has had a TKR (which I have yet to find). Maybe I will find that person so that I can read their story and relate to it a bit.

Hey I too have PA, and am close to your age (39) just had both hips and both knees replaced becaus eof the PA. Check out my thread https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hi-new-here-first-surgery-10-05-11.11875/ it is my indroduction to the forum. If interested, you can also check out my pre and post op threads for each of the 4 surgeries, just search for my username, and you will find all my posts but just look on the right side of the screen and iyou will be able to see if it is one of my THREADS or just a reply to someone else's thread. I do have all 8 pre and post threads listed in my first reply to this thread https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/2-hips-2-knees-need-advice.14895/#post-337677
 
Davrunner,
My PA is somewhat under control. My Psoriasis definitely is not controlled while my arthritis is there by controlled to an extent. I've pretty much failed every drug therapy out there for PA and we are just waiting for the next drug to get approved so that my insurance will pay for it.


I too have failed every drug therapy for PA, currently my only PA treatment is Prednisone (40 mg daily) and methotrexate (2 cc's once a week--that translates to 50mg but in shot form). I too am waiting for a new drug to be approved for PA so insurance will pay for it
 
[Bonesmart.org] BTKR at the young age of 31
Michael, I was really getting antsy about this time before my surgery. I wasn't scared or apprehensive or any of those negative things. I was just really excited about getting my knees done and like a child in December couldn't hardly stand the waiting. I had everything ready at home and I was just sitting on GO.


[Bonesmart.org] BTKR at the young age of 31
Everything went really well for me--mine were done 2 days apart--OS doesn't like to keep a patient under sedation long enough to do two. Only had one bad 12 hour period with pain after the second was done. Went on the inpatient rehab for a week and then when home. Things have progressed pretty smoothly with just small bumps in the road. I am now almost 9 months post op, life is pain free, and I LOVE my new knees!


I wish for you the same good outcome I've had and urge you to follow the BoneSmart mantra and take everything slow and easy. It really works!

Take good care of yourself and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] BTKR at the young age of 31
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom