THR Bruising and Swelling

Yay for jammies, yay for lazy.
Do it..do it! You deserve it. You're still in very early days of recovery.
Wishing you a peacefully relaxing day tomorrow!
@maggers88
 
I had my lazy day but it didn't feel great.
I think it makes me feel like I am sick and I don't see myself like that.
Had a much better sleep and bruising seems to be responding well to Arnica cream which is applied by any visitor that arrives! Lucky them.
Swelling seems to be down slightly today which made me happy.
Have been invited to a neighbors for dinner tommorrow which will be a lovely change of scenery.
Just need to make sure I don't overdo it.
Hope recovery going well for all.
Onwards and upwards. :)
 
Hey @maggers88 - I use arnica too. Didn't know about it with first hip. I have found it helps some aches and pains. Enjoy your dinner out tomorrow-a change of scenery does help us.
 
Three weeks tomorrow! Still a few issues with swelling and sleeping. I am hoping that the next week will bring more improvements.
Patience seems to be the key. It's very difficult to know how much is too much.
Trying to balance rest with regular short bursts of walking.
Hoping to get a couple of short car journeys just to get out and about this week. Feeling positive. :) :-) (:
 
Patience is indeed the key! Has anyone noticed how many of us had extreme patience before deciding to get hip replaced (I mean we tolerated years of pain because we kept thinking it would get better), we get our new one and would like to be healed in a week! While healing takes more time than I would like it to, there is a sweet reward at the end! Keep being positive @maggers88--you are doing well. Enjoy getting out for the ride, but maybe plan on a short one for first time.
 
Nearly four weeks! Much more mobile but foot swelling is preventing me from going very far.
Both ankles now swollen! The foot on my op side becomes very swollen as the day goes on. Has anyone experienced this? I am beginning to wonder if my foot has been damaged (crutch falling on it a couple of times).
I am hoping to fly to London on 23rd Dec, going to make GP appointment to make sure all is well. Fingers crossed otherwise I will be on my own.
Hope to get out this week (wearing slippers again). Any helpful tips would be gratefully received.
Onwards and upwards. :umm:
 
I am surprised to see your hoping to fly so soon, I have been told short haul only from 12 weeks and long haul 24
 
Hi, yes am trying to elevate as much as possible. I have another setback when I pulled a muscle? Getting out of car two days ago. Very painful, currently sitting on ice packs.
I may have been a bit optimistic to thing that I could do a short haul flight so soon?
No change in swelling. I am also very nervous about getting in car again. Feels like progress has come to a halt.
The only good thing is that my walking is coming along well. Still cannot get footwear on though so walking confined to indoors.
Fingers crossed the next week will bring a more optimistic outlook.
 
Cars are tricky. Going in butt/back first then swinging in legs work best for me. Also height can be tricky-sedans at a bit low for me so I am extra careful. Recovery tends to be stop and go. Seems like body gets to a point and says “ok, I need to rest here for a bit.” Then when it is ready it does some more. Hard to tell where you’ll be by 23rd for flight. I would double check with doctor.
 
Hi @maggers88
I sense your frustration and I get it. You're still very early into recovery, only one month post op
tomorrow. There is still so much healing to take place. I'll be 6 months out at Chrustmas and I still consider
myself early in recovery in the whole scheme of things. Sorry you're hurting from the car incident a couple days ago. Hopefully rest, elevation and ice today have helped it settle some.
Take it slow and easy....it will get better. Hugs
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all your advice. Going to listen to my body a bit more and rest as much as possible.
Have Doctors appointment at 6 weeks so will take advice re flying.
I am glad to have all your support as I feel like I was given very minimal advice from hospital, no OT and minimal physio. Perhaps this is a reflection of the situation within the NHS?
I would advise anyone going in for this operation to assess their house and buy any aids e.g grabbers, handles in advance. The only thing I was sent home with was crutches.
Onwards and upwards :thankyou:
 
Hi @maggers88
Grabbers are the best! I think we all agree.
Take away my grabber and I'm coming after you with my cane.
What a sight....:heehee:
 
I still use my grabbers. Handiest darn device. Too bad it took a thr to introduce me to it!
 
Back
Top Bottom