THR Break on through to the other side...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Progress report: Took a shower on my own this morning, holding onto grab bars with one hand or the other and sitting on a bench, watched outside the glass door by my saintly spouse. (Have I mentioned that our long-delayed bathroom renovation was completed mere days before I went into surgery? So glad we thought of the future and installed grab bars and a bench.) Am able to pretty much dress myself now, not in anything complicated, but in pull-on pants and shoes. I think the sock-putter-on-er is one of the silliest-looking but handiest inventions yet. Another cool device: My PT recommended a little three-footed rubber stand that fits on the bottom of my cane. It allows the cane to stand up on its own. Best of all, if the cane falls down, I can press my foot on the longest part of the tripod and the cane springs up into my hand.
Now that the pain drugs and anesthesia are out of my system, I find sleeping on my back more difficult than ever. I have a dim memory of my surgeon saying it was okay to sleep on either side as long as I put a pillow between my legs. This will not be difficult for me as I've been using a pillow that way to ease the arthritis pain for years.
My staples are out, my incision is healing beautifully.
My question for you veterans is: may I sleep on my side now?
 
Wow. Great update. Glad things are going well. All my best. Sue.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I switch off through the night between my back (with a pillow under my legs for comfort) and my side. Side sleeping was difficult at first, everything had to be just right, the right pillow between my legs and just the right spot. I guess as long as your surgeon said you could, go ahead and do it.
 
Thanks, Joel.I called my doc's assistant yesterday to double-check if I could sleep on my side, got permission and began last night. It's not paradise, but a real relief from being stuck in one position on my back. Walked (slooooowly) too much yesterday (3/4 mile?) and both my legs are achy this morning. How much is too much? Guess I'll find out. I must have been standing behind the door when they distributed the allotment of patience!
 
Hi @BoomerBabe you may find this useful to read..


The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition
 
Thank you, Poppet. This is very informative and engagingly written. I have not yet read the links but will later on today or tomorrow. I like your clear explanation of the healing process. As far as my diet is concerned, I am fortunate in that I live with an excellent cook and have enjoyed a well-balanced diet (mainly Mediterranean) for 35 years. Maybe that is one of the reasons I am doing so well, despite my overweight state and an incurable but so-far treatable illness. I'm still on a blood thinner so I can't have the dark green leafies or my usual handful of daily vitamin supplements, but I just had a lovely bowl of strawberries for breakfast.

BB
 
Anyone else have numb fingers? I noticed right after surgery (April 3) that the tips and first joints of my pinkie and index fingers on both hands were numb. They still are. I will certainly ask my surgeon when I see him on May 3.
Have any of you experienced this or have any thoughts as to a possible cause?

BB
 
I noticed this the day after surgery. It persists three weeks later and seems to be increasing, creeping down from the first digits to the second ones. Puzzling! I will ask the surgeon when I finally see him Thursday. In the meantime, does anyone have thoughts as to the cause?

BB
 
Interesting. Tell me, did you use crutches or a walker and if so, how long did you use them for?
 
Okay, Josephine. Thanks. Sorry, but I don't completely understand the rules here and am a bit confused. Does "One thread for recovery" mean that a poster can never change her/his original subject line? If so, how will prospective readers know when a new question is posed?
To answer your response, I used a walker for 10 days or so after surgery. Crutches were not presented as an option. Before you posit that my leaning hard on the walker may be the cause of the tingling and numbness, which of course has also occurred to me, please note that this issue began right after surgery, either that afternoon or the next day, before I really started using the walker.

Any ideas?

BB
 
Apparently there's no chance of getting an answer here to my question about areas of numbness in fingers. I'll ask my surgeon when I see him Friday. Having a bit of a hard time sleeping because of soreness, but I am doing really well, all told--getting stronger every day. Hope everyone else is heading in the right direction as well.

BB
 
I'm surprised you didn't get more answers - I am not here as frequently now. I think I did have some numbness in my finger but can't recall exactly now that it's four months ago and it went away. I get this from lying in bed holding a book up sometimes too - so probably more related to positions you are in that are different than pre-surgery but I'd ask the doctor too


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
BB I had ulnar neuropathy for about 9 months several years ago. Unrelated to hip replacement in April .....
However, I thought I would mention it so you might google it.....
the resolution for about 50% of people with it is to take 200MG of vitamin B6 every day forever.
Gradually it the numbness and tingling disappeared, and stayed gone for me.
Hope this might help?
 
Claire,
Many thanks. I looked up ulnar neuropathy and--from the locations of the numbness and tingling--it seems to fit exactly. It didn't take long judiciously Googling to locate legitimate papers that indicate that this is a recognized and not particularly rare side effect of how one might be positioned for surgery. It could also be from putting a ton of pressure on my hands and elbows in using the walker, but I either had not or had barely begun to use a walker when I noticed the issue. Then there's the possibility of an automated blood pressure cuff causing the problem--but if that was the case, would it occur in both arms?
I am not looking to make a big deal of this; I'd just like an answer, preferably one that indicates the issue will fade away with time. I hope to hear that answer tomorrow when I finally see my surgeon!
The sun has finally come out after three days of flooding rain. I just took a walk alone around the block with my cane. I went faster than ever, pushing through some lower back pain, greatly enjoying the blooming flowers and warm sun after being stuck inside. This is after a lousy night in which I switched sleeping venues three times, so the non-linearity of recovery continues!

BB
 
Update: Saw my surgeon yesterday for the first time since leaving the hospital. His take on the continuing neuropathy in my fingers is that it stems from positioning in the hospital at some point, and that it will diminish with time. If it does not, he will "pursue it." I'm fine with that.

Yesterday's x-ray revealed my new hip in all its cool, bionic glory. I was prepared for how it would look except for the screw that stuck straight up from the acetabulum cup into my pelvis. That was a surprise! The PA said the bone needed some help, hence the screw.

I told the PA my incision was beautifully neat. She thanked me. She was the one who closed it!

The surgeon seems very pleased with my progress, but he wants me to continue the Hip Precautions for another month! On the other hand, I received the go-ahead to drive. I talked about my aches and pains and stretchy feelings and all of that and he said they are to be expected and will resolve in time. I have no reason to disbelieve him, as it all changes each day.

Will resume taking NSAIDs instead of Tylenol. Was told to take Benedryl if I continued to have trouble sleeping, which I think is interestingly low-key and makes sense. I got an Rx for outpatient physical therapy 3x a week. Must continue to use the cane. Will see the doc again in three months.

Left the doctor's office and walked in the lovely spring sun four long city blocks to a sushi restaurant for lunch, then walked--slowly and taking breaks here and there-- all the way back to the car. Must figure out a way to sit that doesn't hurt my back, which every chair seems to do. Wonder if there are inflatable cushions I could carry unobtrusively in a purse?

Getting out and about, even to the doctor, felt FABULOUS! Tonight I venture to a black-tie gala dinner and performance in downtown DC. Everyone knows that I may poop out before the evening is over, but it's so good to feel like a person again.

BB, On the Mend
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Five weeks today since surgery. I started outpatient PT earlier this week. The therapist evaluated my ROM as fairly typical for this stage, but called my walking "fantastic," which of course pleased me no end. I set up two appointments per week for the rest of the month ( it was supposed to be three, but they did not have enough slots) and will see how it goes. Today we went to a gorgeous garden near our house, walked the paths and admired the beautiful effects of spring. Sometimes I used my cane; sometimes I carried it. Wonderful! I am feeling stronger and more physically restless every day, wanting to ditch the precautions, but realizing the danger. I will be patient. I will be patient. I will be patient.

BB
 
I'm thinking of buying a stationary bike. Suggestions? Recommendations?

BB
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom