Brand new here and a nervous wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bionic, I just posted on your other thread. Maybe you should have them merged. I din't read this one prior to responding. Boy, you have a lot to deal with. So you are having anterior approach? Should be a smoother recovery. I had posterior. Pls read your other post.
 
7 Nov will be here soon and then you will be a bonafide hippie :)
 
Thank you Hipster624. I am still working 24 hour shifts and have no idea how I am doing it. Today I can barely walk! 24 on Sunday and surgery on Thursday! Ha how's that for a story in my history book!
 
Good evening, bionicmedic... Been reading your thread and empathizing with your dread (am I poetic or what!!?). Seriously, been there, AM there. From what I've learned on this wonderful site is that there are a helluva lot of folks -- all ages, apparently -- who are ready and willing and happy to help push us toward the finish line. I, for one, am counting on them to pull me through to that "other side" along with my own strength. Like you, I have a very helpful hubby; unlike you, I have a quiet, comfortable life of retirement which I would really like to enjoy again! So... I say this as much for me as for you: You're almost there... Just a few more days. You have youth and the promise of many terrific years in front of you. A wonderful, fulfilling career, family, a business, doggies... WOW. I will be awaiting your surgery war stories, but based on what I read here I expect them to be pretty unremarkable & your recovery to be uneventful but SUCCESSFU. To quote another Bonesmartie: "The pain we have now is infinite and will get worse; the pain post-op is TEMPORARY and part of recovery."

All the best to you and your new pain-free life. Hang in there, keep posting, & stay in touch.

Ellen
 
shrinkette. I absolutely adored your post!! I was sitting at dinner with my family tonight and just started crying. I think it is hard for me because up until 3 days ago I was working 24 hr shifts and caring for sick and injured people. Now I am having to give my full and utmost trust to people I have never met. I am a control freak by medical nature and I am having a hard time giving someone else full
Reign :) I am so thankful for people like you who would to know me if they fell over me on the street, yet you care enough to right to me and send your best wishes. I truly thank each of you for caring. I will keep y'all updated from the other side on Thursday!!!! Love to each of you! Thank you again, shrinkette!
 
Hey bionicmedic! I have been quoted by Roofmaster as saying we are all connected at the hip. I really believe that through this forum and through all the miles that we are!

Looking forward to your successful reports later this week! You won't believe how awesome it is! You'll see ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Greetings. Couple of thoughts: Relinquishing control is very tough... Essentially, it makes us feel very vulnerable -- a difficult position for someone not only in the medical field who, in that capacity, is accustomed to taking charge, but also as a mom, as a dog handler (you do give commands, right?), and as a business owner, part-time or otherwise. All areas where YOU call the shots. Sooooo.... Being at the mercy of the the medical/surgical folks is even more scary. Couple that with your previous experiences and current fear of "what if it isn't successful", and you've got some major anxiety floating around. I totally understand the complete emotional immersion in this thing called THR, but you're gonna be OK, hon. We must listen to what we're told here so we can pass on the wisdom. Deep breaths. Two more days. Almost there. :puppysmooze:
 
shrinkette oMg I am in tears over here laughing! Your posts are simply the best!! I do give commands!! In German:) I'm doing pretty good today, only cried once. I'm trying to get kids clothes packed for their over night stays with grandparents and tying up loose ends at home. I will be in Nashville during the CMA's and hoping to catch a glimpse of someone hot and famous!! LOL! Only 2 more sleeps and its on!! I'm excited to feel better. Still trying to figure out how it is best for me to ride home 3 hours in my Tahoe. Any suggestions will be appreciated!!!! Thank you again for everyone taking their time out of their day to wish me well!! I'll be in touch!
 
bionicmedic You'll be done and over with before you know it. Do not worry (I'm a great one to be telling you this -- I am the word's champion worrier) because you'll sleep right through the surgery and wake up in recovery and go to your room. You'll have great pain control and attention and soon be home, watching Netflix and bored out of your mind. Just don't fall into the trap of trying to do too much and having a setback.

It would be nice if you could find a way to lie down in the back of the Tahoe -- don't know if the seat is long enough for that. Or could you flatten the back seats down and make a little bed in the back? Take plenty of pillows and be sure you take your pain meds along with you so you don't get into pain on the trip. Hard to get it back to baseline if you let it get out of control. Maybe you can sleep some or most of the way; the pain meds will probably make you sleepy. That would be great.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers for safe surgery and swift recovery.

Peace and love to you.
 
bionicmedic... You give commands in German?! <not a good visual for a nice Jewish girl... LOL> But seriously, folks, do what Butterfly suggests -- maybe taking along some ice if practicable. Will be thinking of you on Thursday & wishing you a great outcome. Keep us posted. (Literally).
 
The waiting is the most difficult part of the whole process!!! You'll be over the hump soon and on your way to a better life!!! Looking forward to hearing from you in recovery.....great word, "recovery," isn't it!!! Full of hopes and dreams.
 
Keep singing, babes! And take notes -- I'll be giving a quiz.

Just focus on the positive aftermath and keep a stiff upper lip so you can help scaredy cats like me get through it >just a LITTLE selfish, moi!> Go get 'em!!! :gaah:
 
bionicmedic

I am scheduled for a THR by Dr Kurtz in December. He gave me the option of either the direct anterior or the superpath procedure. Which did you have? Was your THR done by Dr Kurtz? Hope you're doing well.
 
hokieminer hey thanks for the message. I had my left done with dr. Kurtz via anterior on nov 7. I chose that route because with the supertpath, wright medical owns the materials and they may or may not be different in 20 years or sooner if I need a revision. He told me that with the anterior there are many companies that could mix and match parts if needed. Also, the anterior had the same outcome, same recovery and negative restriction rule as the sp. so, though I sought him out for the superpath technique, I am happy with my decision. I went to centennial and had absolutely amazing care!! The best I have ever had from beginning to end! Only bad thing was I was told to be at the hospital at 0600 for surgery at 10:30. At 10:00 I was asking why I was still sitting there waiting. The registrar said. Y surgery wasn't at 10:30. A few min later I was walking to prep and things started rolling. Still surgery at 2:30. I was in surgery for 3 hours because the ball was so malformed that he had to break it into pieces to get it out. Lost about 1100cc of blood but was ok without a blood transfusion. I got into my room around 6:30pm and was up around midnight going to the restroom. Nauseated around midnight vomited at 0200. After that Just queasy upon rising. Walked a few times, did a few steps, got media filled before leaving Nashville and road 4 hours home to ky. So far so good. Bedtime is my worst time. My muscles ache and behind my knee hurts. I have taken my meds as prescribed. I have decreased significantly during the day as I don't have a ton of pain. I need to take more at night I think. My pt has started and I need more meds but the nurse said she couldn't call them in and asked if I was ready to switch to hydro codone. I am assuming they wil
Help despite being lower in pain reduction properties. I have yet to hear back from her about what to do and that conversation started around 1100 yesterday. So tomorrow I will either get something to take that can be called In or making a trip to Nashville. I do not agree with a week post surgery and arguing about meds. Over all I garb been pleased. He is straight to the point. No extra conversation at all, which is fine by me. I needed an awesome surgeon not a buddy and that is what I got!! I have been told by many already that he is absolutely the best EVER ANYWHERE! Go for it, get to the recovery side and you will be so happy you did! I was terrified but am now so proud!!!! I am always here if you want to ask me anything else. I can give you my phone number too if you want it. I'm praying for you and a, so excited to see how things go!!!!!!
 
Bionicmedic, thanks for sharing about your experience. I hope you get things straightened out with your meds and best wishes for a good recovery. I wondered if you were released and traveled home the next day after surgery? How was the ride home? I likewise will have a 4-hour ride to my home near Bristol TN.
 
I was released the following day about 5pm. The ride was t too bad, It at the end I was done and ready to get out. We stopped for about 15 min and I got out and Moved around.
 
Did the doctor recommend a specific type of implant or did he give you options and let you make the choice? For me he recommended either ceramic on plastic or ceramic on ceramic but left it to me to decide. I'm leaning toward ceramic on ceramic due to its longevity. What type did you receive?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom