THR Both hips done 12 weeks apart - I made it!

Thanks for the update, @Old Rocker! Us rookies like to see what happened to people who've had their replacements for a year or more. Best of luck, and I look forward to your September update!
 
So happy to hear from you.
It certainly is a journey isn't it.
I've been lucky that most of the time, I do have forgotten replacement hips but they remind me when I do too much lifting or an overabundance of activity STILL.
Hope all continues to get better as healing time is often out of our hands.
Try to notice if a particular activity aggravated things more maybe?

Hope your week is a good week.
 
Happy Anniversary!
It's so nice to read your update. Happy you stopped by! I read a post you left elsewhere
on how it can take longer than a year to be at your best with a new hip.
I've heard it before. I believe @dougie0216 has mentioned his OS told him
up to two yrs, maybe even longer. That probably offers a lot of hope to
those struggling with small issues at just months out from THR.
I hope it only continues to get better for you. Enjoy the Summer!
@Old Rocker
 
thank you all. This week has been good. Really good. Walking everywhere - no pain - no limp. Haven't felt like this in a long time! Seems like a major shift for me that began exactly one year to the day of my first surgery. Hope it stays like this for awhile.
 
:egypdance:isn't it just great!
Walk on...rock on!:chuckmarch:
 
Hey, noticed you online.
I'll always remember you as one of several who offered comforting words to me on the eve of my surgery.
How are you doing? I hope well!
Looks like you celebrated an anniversary and have one next month also.
Hope those new hips are treating you well. Enjoy the rest of the summer!
@Old Rocker
 
HI @Old Rocker - I'm following in your footsteps here, so your thread is of interest to me. Had my number 1 hip done June 7 this year and have number 2 set for Sept 20! Same time frame. Was a bit concerned about it being kind of close and would the second surgery maybe interrupt or hamper the healing of the first in any way... It seems in your case, you found it did? Can you explain what you felt different on that 3 mo old hip after you got the 2nd one? And what your OS said about it if anything? My left hip went so well and smoothly so far, 10 wks in, I'd hate to think anything could "undo" that progress but I also couldn't wait longer for #2 because right evil twin hip has been kicking me brutally and demanding she be rebuilt as well!
Thanks!
PS I'm also married to an OldRocker! He's still performing, more than ever!
 
Hey, noticed you online.
I'll always remember you as one of several who offered comforting words to me on the eve of my surgery.
How are you doing? I hope well!
Looks like you celebrated an anniversary and have one next month also.
Hope those new hips are treating you well. Enjoy the rest of the summer!
@Old Rocker
Thanks Layla. Just seeing these. I've been absent a lot. SO many things going on for me. Really lucky I got fixed when I did. I'm on the go constantly these days. Will probably need new hips again in a couple years already! Hope you are recovering well also.
 
Great news! Happy you're doing well and living life without hip pain.
I hope your hips last your lifetime and don't ever need replacing.
I'm dong well also, thank you.
Wishing you all things good!
@Old Rocker
 
HI @Old RockerCan you explain what you felt different on that 3 mo old hip after you got the 2nd one? And what your OS said about it if anything? My left hip went so well and smoothly so far, 10 wks in, I'd hate to think anything could "undo" that progress but I also couldn't wait longer for #2 because right evil twin hip has been kicking me brutally and demanding she be rebuilt as well!
Thanks!
PS I'm also married to an OldRocker! He's still performing, more than ever!

Hi 1stSurgery - I apologize for not being active in the time since your post. I hope your second surgery was a success. I had so much going on for me right after both surgeries that I would not be a good case study in recovery! I had a bad fall just 3 days after surgery one. Then I had to deal with Hurricane IRMA which caused me an enormously stressful week of hard labor, property prep and evacuation. They turned off the elevators in my condo and I was left carrying hundreds of pounds of valuables up 6 flights of stairs for 2 days to avoid storm surge. We were under mandatory evacuation and I went to a house inland that we had literally just closed on the day before. No furniture yet. No bed - had to spend 6 days with no electricity and only a metal folding chair for relief. My first recovery was just an absolute mess, so I entered #2 in really bad shape.

Just a month after my second surgery came the death of my father-in-law which was very stressful. Many days driving back and forth between Tampa and Orlando with 14-16 hour days on my legs for the multiple memorials and family gatherings connected with that. I attribute the trouble my first THR was giving me at that point to the dismal first recovery and because I had to rely on it so heavily during the first 2-3 weeks after my second surgery.

My OS didn't really do much follow-up with me. Post-op I have probably only seen him for a total of 2-3 minutes combined. Staff did X-rays and his nurses looked at them. He breezed in, glanced at them for 2-3 seconds, told me they look good and left immediately.

I looked back through this thread and noticed that I had posted on June 11...the night before my 1 year anniversary. I was still dealing with pain that I mentioned. Weirdly enough, I got up on June 12 and felt amazing. It was the exact year to the day mark of THR #1, and I was pain free and enjoying a lot of walking and activities. What a difference a single day made in my case!
 
Last edited:
Aww geez @Old Rocker ...I need a nap and a fresh icepack just from reading that story! You really did get bombarded with multiple traumas and challenges from left and right, it's a miracle you even could recover with so much stress and strain to contend with. Wow, congratulations on making it over to a pain free hip-functional world! That must have been sooo difficult! I was asking because our dates of surgeries are so similar (I'm June 7 & Sept 21 2018) although a year apart. Second surgery went ok except it appears the dislocation procedure was far rougher than with the first time that healed nicely. I suspect they dug up the Incredible Hulk to get my right hip out of socket and now have cascading bruise handprint evidence up and down the leg for forensics! A year from your op date isn't that surprising since the OS's seem to agree it's around a year for the new bone growth to finalize. But how serendipitous that it was to the date! Like that :)

An inspiring success story even though fraught with some really catastrophic level events to face at anytime in ones life-- let alone right after major hip surgery. Carry on and congratulations on the success!
 
We have this, @Old Rocker
No sitting in an old rocker for you.:heehee:
I have tickets to go to the Devon Allman project tonight.
Sons of Dickie Betts and Gregg Allman doing tribute performance at local arts theater.
So excited!
Only seats available are balcony seats...lots of stairs.
Would have been impossible to do pre-op...or even last year in recovery.
I am glad we are both back to life!
Good times ahead!:yahoo:
 
Back
Top Bottom