Guest viewing is limited

THR Both hips done 12 weeks apart - I made it!

Did LTHR back on June 12. A bit of a rough recovery and life has thrown me all sorts of hurdles that put me in situations of major over-doing it since about my 3rd week of recovery, including my battle with Hurricane Irma in Florida last week. Thanks to Irma, my original date for RTHR of Sept. 11 had to be moved to the 20th.

Took all that I learned on the first round and have set myself up a very nice recovery room complete with a power lift recliner. Looking forward to some rest, ice, elevation, and lots of TV. I think my 3 month old LTHR is ready for a break as well.

Will check in with a report by the weekend.
 
Good luck today. I had my second hip (left) yestetday. No more than you I have taken the learning from last time in the hope it will make things easier this time.
 
Good luck today @Old Rocker I hope all goes well!
Hopefully you get some quality rest this time around.
Sounds like you've been in the ODIC lately due to circumstances beyond your control.
You're still in recovery with the first! Now you'll be able to give that leg some well needed rest.
You're going to love the power lift recliner. My husband bought me one and it made getting up
from a seated position much easier as your body is healing.
Best wishes for successful pain control and a peaceful recovery!
Keep us posted...
 
@Old Rocker I've moved your new post into your original recovery thread to save repeating all our valuable information and advice!!
 
Hopefully you're home and doing well @Old Rocker
Wondering how you're liking the lift chair.
I think my mom was a little envious of mine during my recovery.
She said "I didn't have a chair that catapulted me out after my hip replacement! "
I reminded her I DON'T either.
After all "catapulted" sounds rather scary, haha!
Last thing I'd want in those very early days would have been to be
launched, hurled, blasted out of a chair...... Owie Wowie..can you imagine Lol!
Hope all is well and that you have a great week!
 
Hope all is well. Remember your pain meds and welcome to these double hippy club. Wishing you cold healing wishes.:ice:
 
thanks for all the well wishes! 9 days post op now, and the first time I've turned on my computer since surgery.

This time around was easier. Much less pain and swelling in hospital and I was much more limber when PT arrived the day after surgery. Home recovery has been much easier with the lift recliner. I had to fortify it with some pillows and such, but it's been a much better experience overall.

No catapulting here...this thing moves slow! Still on walker but should be on cane by middle of next week.

so great to have this whole thing fully in my rear-view mirror.

I hope everyone else's recoveries are going well. Enjoy the downtime and take care of yourselves!
 
Last edited:
Well done @Old Rocker ! Welcome to the double hippie club! You know the drill. Get that icing and elevating started. Slow and steady!

Let me know if you want your thread title changed.
 
Hi @Old Rocker
Great news your second go round is going well!
In agreement that the lift recliner makes life easier. Its hard to imagine recovery without it.
It does move slowly and as I became more mobile I grew impatient with it at times, ha!
Best wishes as you continue to recover and a great weekend to you!
 
Rock on, even if in recliner....onward and upward:happyfeet:
 
4 weeks post-op. quit the meds cold turkey at the 2 week point. had a couple of rough days of detox that I didn't expect. flu-like symptoms and a general sense of misery.

Spent the first 3 weeks really taking it easy. ice, elevate, TV viewing and just required kitchen and bathroom trips with a little bit of increased walking each week.

after removal of original surgical dressing and application of steri-strips, I had an issue. young nurse applied strips with too much tension resulting in major stretching of my skin next to wound that began to blister into large grape sized blisters which eventually popped. I cleansed with sterile saline and applied antibiotic ointment, but it still infected and I ended up with cellulitis. had to take Bactrim for 10 days. the actual surgical wound seemed to be unaffected by infection and looks good, only the blister area infected.

off the walker at 2 weeks and onto cane. only needed cane about 5 days. Now walking unassisted most of the time.

this surgery did affect my first THR on the left side. It's been more painful and difficult during this recovery.

ROM is OK but I'm not recovering some things as fast as I did the first time around. I have a 12 inch step that I was able to step my leg onto at the 3 week mark with my first LTHR. Now at 4 weeks, I can't even lift my right leg halfway.

overall, it seems like I had less deep bone level pain with this procedure, but more muscle stiffness and pain that is lasting longer.

still a long way to go, but I'm fairly happy so far except for the blistering/infection issue which added some misery to the recovery.

finally able to roll on my side for sleep which is great. That maneuver took almost 6 weeks with my left THR.
 
Last edited:
Hi @Old Rocker
It sounds like you're doing well aside from the infection detour. That had to be frustrating!
Two major surgeries in 3 months is a lot of recovery. You should be feeling great by the holidays.
Keep up the good work and a great weekend to you!
 
Just passed the 12 week mark for my RTHR. Things are going pretty good. Completed all in-home therapy and did 12 sessions outpatient PT. Walking a couple of miles/day and riding stationary bike a mile or two. Still some slight pain and stiffness even in my LTHR which is now 6 months post-op.

Only worry is the psoas muscle on right side. Still pretty sore. Ran into a wall in PT with straight leg lifts. Was able to execute fairly well at 4 weeks on the left side, but now at 12 weeks on my right, I still can't lift the leg more than 3 inches off table, and the pain is pretty intense across the top of the leg and into groin.

Leaving that alone for awhile now and focusing on getting back full flexibility in the knees. Hoping to be able to get low enough to enjoy my spa tub for the first time in almost 2 years.
 
Great update. Sure wish I had a hot tub. I bet that would feel so so good. (I still get some pretty sore thigh muscles with alot of activity, of which I've had plenty lately)
Don't really have any insight about leg not wanting to behave now....
But I'm hearing nothing about hip pain! That is a very good thing.
That's what I remind myself when I get some issues going on...look what I have come away from.
Hope all still keeps getting better and better.
 
I agree with you about leaving somethings alone for a while @Old Rocker. I think spa is a great goal and it may help relax things enough for other motions to come along.
 
Yes hip pain is really non-existent. My knees still complain a bit but that's getting better each week. @Mojo333, I agree. I just think back to how bad it was and how immobile I had become and I'm totally OK with the little niggles and momentary stabs of pain that creep in on me now and then.

Last Christmas was pure misery. I couldn't go into any stores, shop, eat at restaurants....nothing. I even packed it in and went to bed at 5 PM on Christmas Day just to avoid the pain. This year I'm already buzzing about and preparing to fly home tomorrow to my other house in North Carolina to decorate my yard and prepare for friends and family. SO excited as I haven't been home since last year.

I wonder how much hassle TSA will give me at airport security now with the implants.

I enjoyed my PT and always felt better when I left. I don't really expect to be feeling close to normal until about the 1 year mark.

I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and/or holiday, and hope that you are able to enjoy the season with newfound hope and renewed energies!
 
What a great post @Old Rocker
I'm sure many of us can relate to the feelings of last Christmas. For many of us it was a painful time.
All the more reason to enjoy the blessings of this Christmas. Sadly many here are experiencing that pain
and awaiting relief. It will be "oh so sweet" for most of them soon.

I sense your joy in heading home to NC to decorate your yard in preparation of visiting friends and family.
You're living life again and its heartwarming to read.

Best wishes for all the love and joy the season has to offer. May you continue to be blessed in 2018!

:merry christmas: :nativity:
 
Thank you Layla! I hope others who are fresh from their surgeries, or preparing to have theirs, can take some comfort that things WILL get better. My heart goes out to all who have complications or adverse reactions post-op. This is such a struggle that just getting through the surgeries and recoveries takes a massive resolve.

I can't imagine going through it all and not gaining a satisfactory result.

Christmas is such a great time for our family and losing last year really pushed me forward to schedule my surgeries such that I would be able to enjoy it fully this year.
 
I haven’t found tsa to be a hassle. I just tell them I have an artificial hip and walk through the X-ray machine. Enjoy getting ready for a great Christmas.
 
Well - tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of my first THR (left side). Can't believe it's been a whole year. I'm doing a whole lot of normal activity these days. Still, I would estimate myself to be about 60% back to my normal pre-surgery self.

I get around OK. I do what I want to for the most part. Still have stiffness and pain every day. Mostly after long periods of either sitting, or standing. That pain is more pronounced on my left side, which was my first surgery. I've had days where my right side is hardly noticeable, but I'm well aware of my condition every single day with regards to my left side.

I've heard the term "forgotten hip" used by others that describes that point where the person completely forgets that they have implants. I still feel nowhere near the level of "forgotten hip", but I'm optimistic about the future.

Next post-op checkup is in September. Will post back with results.

Hope all are recovering well, and for the newbies...HANG IN THERE and follow all the great guidelines offered in this forum!
 
Back
Top Bottom