Guest viewing is limited

TKR Booger's Left Knee

That was good flexion. And the exercise program sounds really good! I would LOVE the hot tub! That is the only time that I feel no pain or discomfort is when my leg is totally submerged in very hot water in the bathtub.
I use a recumbent bike here at home and right now do it for 10 min/day. Keep up the good work!
 
Can someone tell me how long it takes for the bone to heal around the implants? It would be nice to not have to worry about breaking them lose.

Booger
 
Technically it takes bone 12 weeks to heal, but, as always, we are all different with different healing rates.

You can stop worrying about the bone breaking loose from the implant, that is not going to happen.

Try to relax, you’re going to heal fine. :yes:
 
Can someone tell me how long it takes for the bone to heal around the implants? It would be nice to not have to worry about breaking them lose.

Is you prosthesis cemented in place or press fit?

The cemented joints reach full strength very quickly, before they finish sewing you up, my doctor said.

For full strength the press fit joints require the bone to grow in around the joint tightly and that takes time, not sure how long, but months I would think.
 
Not sure which I have. I was just thinking about it the other day.
Can you tell from xrays which I have?

20211020_093850.jpg
 
I don’t have the expertise to tell. You can ask your doctor or their staff when next you see them. Even if it is press fit you shouldn’t be able to loosen it unless you took a bad fall.
 
My guess is that yours is cemented, I would think you would have been told beforehand if they were doing it uncemented. You can always contact your surgeons office and ask.

Either way, try not to worry. You are coming along well in your recovery. There will be a lot of ups and downs, which is why we call this recovery a rollercoaster. Try not to let your mind go to places of thinking of things that could go wrong.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know I have cement as it is one of the parts that are listed in my chart under "implants" by company made and with items have serial numbers too!
 
Looking at your xray it's difficult to tell if you might have a cemented knee or not. There is a slight white shadow in the tibia below the stem that looks like it could be cement. But the quality of the image is not good enough for me to say for sure. Your best bet is to contact your surgeon's office and ask his nurse to check your records.
 
Thanks folks. I guess it doesn't really matter just wndering. I was trying to put my operated knee ankle on my right knee to put socks on and it really hurt for a couple of hrs. So I probably won't do that again for a little while.

Booger
 
Ohhhhh, I wish I had access to my pool and hot tub.

was trying to put my operated knee ankle on my right knee to put socks on and it really hurt for a couple of hrs. So I probably won't do that again for a little while.
It might be too soon for that maneuver. I was able to clip my baby toe nail on my right foot this weekend. Although I've been doing 15 min yoga practice occasionally, you'd have thought I completed a Simone Biles move the way I went on ... :rotfl:
 
My guess is that you'd know if it was uncemented as that is not as typical--your OS would have talked to you about that. BTW mine are uncemented.
 
I have one cemented and one uncemented currently in my knees. My uncemented knee had ridges in the posts for the bone to grow into.
 
I have one cemented and one uncemented currently in my knees. My uncemented knee had ridges in the posts for the bone to grow into.
My guess is that you'd know if it was uncemented as that is not as typical--your OS would have talked to you about that. BTW mine are uncemented.
Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering dont wanna do anything to soon and break anything lose. Just not gonna worry about it.

Booger
 
Maybe knees are different or more likely, each surgeon is different but mine gave me a copy of the surgery report. It's handy because it gives you the type of implant and most likely your info on cemented vs. uncemented.
I bet you could call your surgeon's office and request a copy.
You are progressing right along!!
 
Maybe knees are different or more likely, each surgeon is different but mine gave me a copy of the surgery report.
I read my surgical notes on my online health portal. It was a fascinating procedure and reading the details helped me understand why some pains were where they are (at least early on).
 
Hi Folks,
I finally made 0 extension today. Flex was at 118 on my own 121 with help. So I guess I'm getting there. I had a different person and a student. I said i didnt care if she moved my leg and wanted to lead things. Hell we all had to start somewhere and the seasoned pt was watching and talking to her.
They also said something about needling on monday also. So i guess i get me some of that for the back of my leg. Said it was locked up and tight. So we will see.
They also said my calf was smaller on the left vs the right one. Said it was muscle atrophy. At least the swelling is down enough they can see stuff like that.
Thanks
Booger
 
Said it was locked up and tight.
Stiffness/Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.
 
@Booger I remember my calf atrophying on my PKR in 2016 and after several months I got my muscle definition back. And on this TKR, my calf did the same thing. The therapists told me it would take several months to build back that muscle. Isn’t it amazing all the various things that happen to our entire leg. Your flexion is great! Keep up the good work!
 
Hi Folks,
I finally made 0 extension today. Flex was at 118 on my own 121 with help. So I guess I'm getting there. I had a different person and a student. I said i didnt care if she moved my leg and wanted to lead things. Hell we all had to start somewhere and the seasoned pt was watching and talking to her.
They also said something about needling on monday also. So i guess i get me some of that for the back of my leg. Said it was locked up and tight. So we will see.
They also said my calf was smaller on the left vs the right one. Said it was muscle atrophy. At least the swelling is down enough they can see stuff like that.
Thanks
Booger
I have developed a tight hamstring and the back of my knee is tight too. My physio is giving it acupuncture twice a week. That and hamstring stretches [leg on third stair and I lean into it whilst holding on to the bannisters] is definitely helping.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom