Guest viewing is limited

TKR BoneSmart Works!

AT 4.5 weeks 95 degrees is great! Most OSs aim for 90 degrees at 6 weeks and you are past that already. If your PT is causes pain for 2-3 days afterward, then it's bad PT. Having to recover from PT isn't doing you any good. Many of us never took one day of PT or exercised and recovered just fine.
 
She wouldn't *officially * endorse quitting PT but admitted my home regimen was quite sensible and showed good results.
I have myself been struggling with whether or not to quit PT. I’m 4.5 weeks post op and they seem generally unhappy with my progress. My flexion is 95 degrees and my extension is 7. It’s improved since the first week but when they measure it seems they get more aggressive and then I pay for it for days with increased pain, swelling and stiffness. I’m also a nurse, so in reading multiple articles, it seems the medical community doesn’t endorse the “rest and relax” recovery method which puts me at an impasse in which route I should go.
@BionicMama - I went through aggressive PT with my January 2023 LTKA and like you basically lost a day or two each time. My flexion and extension were ahead of expectation coming out of surgery, yet he'd super stretch me and remeasure. I let him do it once on this new RTKA, came home, pondered things.... Besides being a 40 yr career RN, I was a martial artist who experienced and helped others through athletic injuries so I understand the natural history of soft tissue healing. All I can say is Bonesmart's approach is logically consistent with my understanding of the physiology.
 
You’re doing great with your recovery!
So wonderful to read, thanks for taking the time to update. It will be an encouragement to many following behind you.
I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@mendogal
 
Good morning of post op day 24. Yesterday brought two packages: a Lounge Doctor and a packet of an herbal tea blend for sleep (primary active ingredients are camomile, spearmint, and valerian, with bits of things like hibiscus and rose for flavor).
I got quite sleepy in a half hour after drinking it - a bit of a conundrum until my reflux calms down, as I can't retire immediately after drinking anything! - it was the easiest falling asleep in ages. Slept comfortably on the Lounge Doctor for 3.5 hours. Got up to the toilet, switched to side-lying with a pillow between the knees, slept like another 3.5 hours!
I would love to better tolerate sitting on a chair, feet on the floor, as I'm doing a 30 faces/30 days drawing course (my 9th since April 2020 shutdown) - I am going into the studio and setting my timer for 10 minutes drawing, then elevating, icing 45 minutes. There's no real pressure to do these courses on deadline, so that's fine. My knee is worth it.
 
I think you’ll love your Lounge Doctor and get plenty of use out of it. I still use my for relaxation at times, six years post op. Great to hear the tea helped you obtain some restorative rest. Seven hours, that’s wonderful! :sleep:

Your drawing course sounds very interesting. If I’m not getting too personal, did you draw your avatar…I am now wondering?
Thanks for updating, It’s nice to read you’re doing so well!

Have a nice weekend!
@mendogal
 
Your drawing course sounds very interesting. If I’m not getting too personal, did you draw your avatar…I am now wondering?
Thanks for updating, It’s nice to read you’re doing so well!

Have a nice weekend!
@mendogal

Thank you Layla!

Yes, it's my drawing: the facial expression, disheveled hair, and hand positions are from an 1840s Courbet self portrait (country lad arrived in Paris and overwhelmed!) but I took a selfie of my face in a similar expression and superimposed it to create the reference photo. I have both drawn and painted from it - big fun!

I hope you've been enjoying your weekend as well.
 
It's post op day 28: four weeks out! Time to record an update.
The R knee is doing very well. It's easy for me to overdo it but it's been a few days since mildly overdoing it.
Using Acetaminophen 1000 mg every8 h and maybe twice a week a half of an Acet. with Codeine, reducing my OTC dosage accordingly.
My 5 month+ L knee has lost a bit of the muscle tone it was regaining so now that I have a *somewhat* larger daily ration of energy to draw on I've resumed doing low level targeted strengthening on that side every third day and it seems very happy.
Functionally, I have graduated off the elevated toilet seat but still use the shower bench so I can truly relax during my twice weekly hot shower. I continue to assemble my own breakfast and lunch, and dinner is a collaborative affair with my very attentive husband.
I still can't sleep well without assistance: alternating every couple of nights between an herbal tea blend (with valerian), melatonin, and the occasional diphenhydramine or low dose codeine. I fall asleep for the first couple of hours using the Lounge Doctor. After waking, I tend to switch to a single pilllow, back or side lying. Most nights I manage 5.5 - 7 hours.
Reflux, mild gastroparesis, and lower GI hypomotility continue to be low level annoying and require both herbal (ginger, licorice, slippery elm, papain, bromelain, senna) and medication (dss, famotidine, intermittent Lactulose) management.
Overall this newer new knee is about on the same recovery timeline as the older new knee. It's tedious and definitely cranky-mood-inducing at times, but I have zero complaints about my progress.
 
Last edited:
Don’t you just love tossing those recovery aids (toilet seat riser) one by one, to the curb?!!
I borrowed a lot of that from my dad since he had his hip replaced years before me. It was a happy day to throw it all in my car and return it. :egypdance:You’re on your way!

Hopefully your sleep and reflux improve soon. Just think how great you’ll be feeling by Christmas and the New Year will be awesome for you! Not too far off, especially the older we get the faster time flies and I’m right behind you. TIME, please s-l-o-w down!! :wink:
A great evening to you! Thanks for the update, you seem to be doing very well.
@mendogal
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hope you’re feeling like this -> :happyfeet:
Cheers to one month down :cheers: and a flower on this special day! :flwrysmile:
Have a lovely weekend!
@mendogal
 
Thank you @Layla !!! I actually hit a milestone yesterday - for the stiffness after sitting in a chair long enough to eat a meal, my knee demanded a 5 - 10 minute walk in the house rather than immediately elevating. I remember clearly the therapeutic walking phase from my first surgery and am happy to note it again.
 
Each one of these steps forward is getting you closer to the finish line!
 
Post op day 33, two milestones!
1) my first solo walk off the property - we're having triple digit heat, so I got out after dawn but before the sun itself rose over the eastern hills. It was a delightful 65 degrees out! With my walking stick I went down our paved driveway, across the street to where there's a sidewalk, and walked slowly past three houses (guessing each lot about 60 - 70 feet), then back. It felt GOOD.
2) in my carpeted art studio, got down to sit on the floor, did a bit of range of motion, and got back up.
Still having intermittent pain, still can't sit and draw more than 15 minutes, still having reflux and sleep disturbance but progress is real!
 
Wow, down and up off the floor so early in recovery! :wowspring:

And great news about the walk. My driveway slopes down toward the street which made taking outside walks difficult for me in the early days, as my knee didn’t like the slope.
 
Awesome news! Both the walk and getting down on the floor and back up.
Now if you’re able to get rid of the reflux and catch some restorative rest….you’ll be golden! Hope they both ease soon. Happy Tuesday!
@mendogal
 
Wow, down and up off the floor so early in recovery! :wowspring:

And great news about the walk. My driveway slopes down toward the street which made taking outside walks difficult for me in the early days, as my knee didn’t like the slope.
Our driveway as well! On my January TKR, I was afraid to try either maneuver until after 7 weeks but I'm more confident this time.
 
@mendogal that’s amazing you got down on the floor and back up. Getting on the floor scares the heck out of me. It’s always been a struggle, going all the way back to my first replacement almost 9 years ago. Good for you!
 
@mendogal that’s amazing you got down on the floor and back up. Getting on the floor scares the heck out of me. It’s always been a struggle, going all the way back to my first replacement almost 9 years ago. Good for you!
Thank you! It helps immeasurably that I trained in aikido (falling and rolling) from age 41-62 and taught seniors how to fall safely - I'm really comfortable moving about on the floor. (And no, I'm NOT going back on the mat - it's been tai chi for me for 7 years).
 
Fifth week milestones:
Showered standing up.
Yesterday I took my walking stick for a 1/4 mile solo walk down our driveway, across the street, and up the (very irregular!) sidewalk.
Last night I couldn't sleep past 2.5 hours, so got up to draw, and easily sat and drew 25 - 30 minutes at a time before walking and elevating.
Today I accompanied MDH to the Farmer's Market - crowded, one very long downtown block, up and back.
After my first TKA, I could walk a good distance but was scared by walking alone or around people for a while. It's nice to feel confident!
 
Great milestones!
All the things that make us, and life, feel more normal.
It's only the beginning...Woohoo! :happydance:
@mendogal
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom