BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] BoneSmart = best recovery!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by ceezee, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

United States United States
    @ceezee
    Nice to see you are coming along so well. I was cleaning my small bathroom yesterday and almost went to my knees to get the bottom of the outside toilet bowl, and like STOP registered in my brain. Had my husband wipe that part. I can see how you just went down to check your dogs foot without thinking.:yes:

• Like Like x 3
  2. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@ceezee :wave:It sounds like your recovery is going really well for 4 weeks, way to go!!! When you bend over without even giving it a second thought, you know you're on the right track. I hope your doggie's foot is ok too! :puppysmooze: By the time July 30th comes around, you should in good shape for your left hip. I'm glad to see that you haven't made an official entrance to the ODIC, you got a little close there but at least you recognized it quickly! Just keep doing what you're doing now and all will be good! Have a good weekend! :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ceezee

ceezee senior

At lunch today with my husband we were talking about yesterday’s incident with me bending down to see the dogs foot.

And he said: it looks okay today.
    I said: yes, it didn’t hurt me yesterday and and today I feel fine.
    He said: I was talking about the dog’s foot.
    I said: you just lost all brownie points for cutting my toenails this morning.

All joking aside, my husband is a dear.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@ceezee Gotta love our husbands, right! :rotfl: At 2 months, I said: It's my 2 month anniversary, can you believe it's already been 8 weeks? He said: What?! :loll:

• Funny Funny x 6
  5. ceezee

ceezee senior

Ever the optimist I planned another trip for us this year. Before this all started we were all set to go to Ireland for 3 1/2 weeks in May. But my hip got very bad very quickly and that got cancelled. Then I planned a trip in the beginning of September for a long week at a resort we love in Canada. But then my other hip got very bad very quickly and that got cancelled. With the first hip done and the second scheduled for July 30 I just planned a trip again to a different resort in Canada at the end of October.

I am sure hoping this one holds! :friends::kayak:

• Like Like x 5
  6. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@ceezee That October date should be a winner for you and you'll feel great by then. You certainly deserve it! :yes!:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ceezee

ceezee senior

I was lucky to be able to make the post op date with the OS for surgery #1 and my pre op checkup date for surgery #2 one after another for the same morning- July 1.

I can’t believe I’m basically halfway between the two surgeries.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@ceezee, I had to read that a couple of times to figure it out, duh! Good for you, it's not often we get that lucky with our doctor's appts! You'll be a pro at all of this when you have your second one done. Another double hippy in the group! :yes!:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. ceezee

ceezee senior

The past, well it seems forever but I think it’s only been a bit over a week, my knee has been killing me much more than usual. It started when I began seriously working on my gait. What used to be my short leg is now my longer leg by a smidge. I know this is throwing all the mechanics off and causing this. Other less severe aches and pains are moving around my hip. These are easy to ignore and solved with icing. I’ve been trying both ice and heat to deal with the knee with no success. I’ve also been elevating it often using my fantastic Lounge Doctor (thanks Layla!). I’m tossing and turning all night but so uncomfortable that sleep is in bits and pieces.

I’m taking 2 extra strength Advil in morning and at night. 4000 mg Tylenol each day, an occasional Tramadol to help sleep (doesn’t really help).

Anything else I can try, besides wait for it to resolve itself on its own?

Patience is something I’m still striving to achieve.

OTOH, I’m sitting out on a beautiful day, with finally no rain, and loving the sound of my Japanese wind chimes and watching the birds at the feeder as I read a book.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  10. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@ceezee, have you tried icing your knee as well as your hip? And try to keep the leg elevated as well. That may help. Knee pain isn't uncommon but definitely bothersome. Good to hear that you're having a beautiful day and get to enjoy the weather!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. ceezee

ceezee senior

@SE Florida Thanks! Yep, I mainly ice it. I have two great gel packs so I can hit both spots at once. And they freeze quickly for the next round.

If I didn’t have to walk it would feel great! Lol. No pain sitting, just walking and trying to sleep.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  12. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@ceezee, I'm not sure if you'd want to try it but some hipsters have recently mentioned wrapping their knee. I wore an Ace knee compression brace for a few days when mine got a little to achy to handle! :flabber:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  13. ceezee

ceezee senior

@SE Florida Ooh, thanks! I’ll give it a go. I know we have those laying around.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  14. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

I hope you get some relief soon @ceezee! :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  15. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@ceezee Seems we all have some knee problems after surgery. Mine bothers me at night, but not during the day. As soon as I lay down in bed at night, it's like all the glitches after the surgery take over. I can only mostly back sleep, still only maybe an hour on my good side, because the incision pulls. We'll get there eventually.:whistle:We're all in this together.❤

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  16. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi: I think you are doing very well for just over one month out.
    Finding a comfortable sleeping position was extremely frustrating for me also.
    I would get a few broken up hours in bed...then plod about the house and finally just be resigned to get in recliner and doze.
    Power napping was my only saving grace .

Keep the faith...all temporary!:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  17. ceezee

ceezee senior

Yeah, sleep is a real bummer. I was power napping earlier in the recovery and that was such an incredible help. I was never able to nap before. Always woking up feeling worse and nauseous. So I hoped I’d changed. But as soon as I started feeling better I was back to not napping very well.

I just spend about 30 minutes at the local weekly farmers market this morning and it seemed to lossen up a bit. My dog thinks we just go there so he can get pets from from small children. He’s a glutton for attention but is very calm and great with them. He’s a whippet and basically eye level with the smaller tykes.
    But! I am keeping the faith!!!! This too will pass. :yes!:

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  18. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I'm sorry your knee is bothering you. I'm wondering if it's going to take your next surgery for all to finally even out and calm down. Sadly, your not in the best space right now, only one month post op from one hip and a little over one month left before your right one is replaced. As your weak left hip is healing from the trauma of the assault, your other is deteriorating. I give you credit for all you're managing right now. You're a trooper, hang in there!
    Wishing you comfort and a nice day. :)
    @ceezee

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. ceezee

ceezee senior

Thanks everyone for the support! It really helps!!!:loveshwr:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  20. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

Hope your knee is better today too @ceezee. At least you got out for awhile and hopefully got some yummy fruits and veggies! I hope the rest of your weekend goes well. :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1