TKR Bishop's Recovery Story

A sick cat is not good. Winter is a pain and I have tons of salt outside (a little overkill) and pretty crispy on front hall rug lol.
 
I can’t find my one thread, I guess I haven’t posted in awhile.

I’m having a “ large” emotional response to this pain. I was doing real good till last Thurs. I was so excited to literally take those steps. The PT on that day had me do a lot and I was eager to try it.

I’ve been in terrible pain since then, even having trouble standing/walking. I went over this with the pt yesterday. She said “ it’s normal to have set backs etc” but when she asked should we use the #s from Thurs measurements then? I just said sure cuz I couldn’t bend my knee.

It was then I remembered she pushed it HARD it hurt bad! I kind of yelled out and she stopped the whole thing was 2 seconds. She pushed on it to get my ROM higher then 108 ( got to 110 w the push) It didn’t even need to be that high at 5 weeks.

I called back and mentioned this. She insists that it’s because I “ pushed through pain on Friday when I should have rested” but that is rubbish! I called CNOS talked to the PA to Nelson. “Set backs happen, ice elevate rest” and the usual questions to make sure infection is not present ( it isn’t).

Today I am crying I’m upset, It’s hurting I’m still icing still elevating. But it hurts and I can’t move much!! I’m angry because you must trust these people who put their hands on you. In a second she changed everything with a shove to get a better # when I was already ahead of the game! For what? I'm thinking so they can look great...CNOS said they will see me for the follow up 16th.

I’m trying to believe that it’s ok, and that it’s “ just” a set back. I’m trying to not be sad depressed and angry - angry that people would rather blame me for over doing it on Fri trying to push through the pain RATHER then the therapist who needlessly caused the pain. I’m gonna continue to rest ice elevate and see if they are right and that I get past this.

Any recommendations? This happened in 2 seconds I wasn’t even aware that she was going to push on it!! The inside of the knee hurt excruciatingly at that moment. Everything hurts now.
 
The first thing I personally would quit PT completely @Bishop. That what I did when PT made me worse not better. IF you do go back, don't let them touch your knee. You can tell them you will bend it yourself and that they are not to "help". I'm sure this is just a set back, and that ice, elevation, and rest will get you back on track. Definitely no more PT until it calms back down.
 
@Bishop, here is your recovery thread: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/bishops-recovery-story.63943/page-3. I will move this thread to it. I suggest you bookmark this so you can easily find it.

I completely agree with FCBayern. Don't let anyone touch your leg again. You are the only one who should be doing any PT and don't need help pushing it. Until your knee settles back down all you need to be doing is icing and elevating, and just doing your normal daily activities.
 
Thank you so much. Yep I’m icing elevating resting and thank you for helping me find my thread.
 
Sorry you have had a rough few days. Hopefully the resting and icing has helped.
 
I so agree with quitting PT. I really liked my PT person but at 6 weeks she put some light weight pads on my shins and had me do 20 legs lifts on each leg, said to strengthen my hips. I was in pain for 5-6 days. Of course she wouldn’t take responsibility for it. I went twice more, saw my doctor at 8 weeks and he told me I could stop PT, that I was doing great and he didn’t see where I needed it, just to keep doing some of my exercises and ride my bike with little or no resistance.
 
Hi all! I went to my 6 week follow up for the RTKR the LTKR is coming up in 2 weeks. My surgeon said I’m doing real well. He then asked “ do you have buyers remorse?” I told him I didn’t understand / I need a replacement, not really a want. I asked don’t the X-rays and my 10 years of pain warrant it? He asked which knee hurts worse. I said the new one hurts worse - but it’s a different pain. He said the other knee will probably not be able to get a knee cap either ( like the one we just did) and that it’s not going to get any better, but then he’d circle back around saying -you could put it off. I’m like” it’s booked let’s do it unless there’s something I don’t know. He said I said let’s move forward then; but now I’m so confused. I really was getting the vibe not to do it but IDK why?? Yes the right knee hurts more but that’s getting better, the left one is t so...
Any Thoughts?? Thanks
 
Unfortunately surgeons have to discuss the worst case scenario with you. It's all about the informed patient. But my thinking is it's playing mind games.

I agree with you - it's booked, let's get it done. That knee won't get any better. Best to get the second one done and get on with total recovery.
 
I agree with Jaycey. Go for it. It will not get any better, just worse. Get it done and over with then it's all finished.

I have no kneecaps and I'm doing fine. You have nothing to worry about if you don't have another one put in.
 
He said I said let’s move forward then; but now I’m so confused. I really was getting the vibe not to do it but IDK why?? Yes the right knee hurts more but that’s getting better, the left one is t so...
Any Thoughts?? Thanks

Perhaps your doctor is hesitant because without a patella, you lose muscle strength in your quads. I have been without a patella for 30 years and my leg is 40% weaker than my right leg. Always has been. Is it advantageous to get a second opinion?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
He said the other knee will probably not be able to get a knee cap either ( like the one we just did) and that it’s not going to get any better
Just to be perfectly clear about the kneecap - surgeons don't actually remove your kneecap (patella) unless there is a compelling reason for doing so. Actually removing the kneecap is a serious operation that would leave you with a much weaker knee.

What they do instead is to remove all the damaged cartilage from the back of your kneecap and then replace that damaged cartilage with a plastic button.

You can see the patellar button in this image
1616001592417.png


Because many surgeons are a bit relaxed about how they explain this procedure, some will say they "removed the kneecap", when they only re-surfaced it. That leads to confusion.

Currently, there is no replacement part for an entire kneecap.
 
Hi @Bishop

I can totally empathise with you. The first OS I saw gave me no confidence whatsoever, almost trying to put me off having it done. I pushed for an MRI then went back for the results. His first line (after explaining what a state my knee was in), was “what do you want me to do about it?” ....WHAT? He then told me knee replacements have to be earned, ie. the more pain you’re in the more likely he’d do it!

I really don’t understand why they take this stance, especially after seeing the diagnostics.....it puzzles me, and it’s not fair on the patient as you’re looking to them as the experts. It sows seeds of doubt doesn’t it?

But you’re absolutely right, the newly operated knee hurts, but it will get better, the other one won’t. Go with your instincts.....
 
Ok Hi all it’s been a long time since I posted. I had my 2nd knee done March 31 and I guess it went all right. Both knees still are stiff and hurt, the left one quite a bit. The knee cap had a “ tiny bit” left and surgeon says it’s “ centered well and tracking” I still have stabbing pains in the middle of the knee but I’m told it’s ok and I’m 10 weeks out give it time. I can’t stand or walk more then 10 mins ( same before surgeries)! The leg pains the foot pains sent me to my ortho to check my back. I also deal with a bad back Spondylolethesis in lower lumbar from L4-SI. L4 & L5 has slipped considerably forward. I’m going to do spine injections as I just can not do another major surgery after these two knees! I’m so terrified and depressed and very uselessly angry at my body. I had to stop PT for knees as even simple things like strait leg raises was hurting my back. So now I’m doing PT for my back/core but I’m afraid my knees will seize up?! I just walk for 5 mins every two hours when off work plus errands & housework. I’m back at work 21/2 days a week up and down out of a chair every 10 mins and walking. Any suggestions or comments?? I’d appreciate. This is so never ending - I’m just gutted I so want to be well.
 
I know this must seem like an endless road you're on, but it will get better. You're still early in your recovery. We actually recommend that people don't return to work if at all possible for 10-12 weeks, but I understand that sometimes you have to make money. By going back plus errands, plus housework, plus trying to walk every two hours, you really are working both your new knees hard. Throw in back problems which can impact how you stand and walk, it's no wonder that your body is protesting.

Take stock of what you really MUST do and what you "think" you must do. If it's possible to be off work until you're at least 12 weeks out, do it. Even if you don't have vacation or sick days available, if you work at a company with 50 or more employees, your employer must grant you up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).

Don't run any errands unless absolutely necessary and try not to do them on days you work. Let household chores slide as much as possible. No one ever died of dust bunnies.

If you still have a lot of discomfort with your knees, Tylenol can help if you are able to take it. Check with your GP and if it's okay, get on a regular schedule where you take 1000mg every 6 hours through the day and night. Ice and elevate when you return home or from errands. Things should start feeling better at 6 months (from the last knee). This is all temporary. Honest.

Your knees will do fine with your regular activity. You don't need therapy for them at this point. They will not "seize up." That just doesn't happen, although many people might tell you it will.

Continue the core strengthening therapy, though. It's very likely that at least some of your problems are related to your back issues more than your knees. I hope the injections and therapy start to work for you. Let us know how you're getting along. We're here to help and support you.
 
Bishop, I am pretty much on the same schedule as you! Had my 1st knee replaced on Jan. 31, 2nd knee March 31. They both are quite uncomfortable at times. Some good days, some not so good. It’s all part of a long recovery. Believe Jamie when she says it will get better. We just have to get through this. Hang in there!
 
Thank you both! I’m really struggling with working.Just crying after. Can’t sleep at night. My left ( the last one done) knee just is awful. It feels like I’m being cut with a a shard of glass, stabbing horrible pain for 15/20 seconds then gone. In a few minutes it happens again.Sometimes it doesn’t happen for hours. And then out of nowhere-man it makes me cry out and takes my breath away! It’s been happening since right after surgery! Dr said X-rays look fine “ what do you want to do? I can open you up and see if I can find anything worse going on in there” WHAT??! IDK man this is awful. I feel like life is torturing me. Working is awful. I’m just gonna take more Gabapentin and Advil/Tylenol mix.
 
Bishop, try to relax! We both had our latest surgery on the same date, and the first knee a few days apart. BOTH my knees still pain me at times and are tight most of the time. Last night I got those zinging pains in the first knee! It’s just going to take some time. We are not even half-way to the year long recovery.
”Opening you up” at this point seems extreme to me. Continue to ice and elevate and rest as you can.
 
I’m really struggling with working.Just crying after. Can’t sleep at night.
Having both Kees done close together is 2 major surgeries close together, and the post op blues are very real


As sisterpat said, we call those sudden pains zingers, they are nerves reattaching from the surgery. While very painful at the moment, they should settle down in time. :console2:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom