Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bip and Bop<

I trekked all over Spain and Portugal last summer and made it to the summit of Kilimanjaro on September 2nd, just 2.5 years after surgery. You have MANY great miles ahead of you.
I keep thinking about your pack. I only carry 20 pounds at most. You may have to train differently, but it may not be a problem since you are used to it. Have you ever considered getting a llama?

That's is awesome kneed2run. Where do you live
 
I trekked all over Spain and Portugal last summer and made it to the summit of Kilimanjaro on September 2nd, just 2.5 years after surgery. You have MANY great miles ahead of you.
I keep thinking about your pack. I only carry 20 pounds at most. You may have to train differently, but it may not be a problem since you are used to it. Have you ever considered getting a llama?

My weight w/ food as right at 23 lbs. but I'm going to change from a tent to a hammock so it will h
Add a couple of lbs
 
People with cats don’t seem to have as many hazardous encounters.
I had 13 at the time of my surgery. The only problem I had was one jumped on my knee. Of course he was the biggest one. I screamed and he or any of the others never did it again! To keep them away while walking, I used the walker. They were afraid of it. That might work for your puppy, too.
 
We sold everything in 2014 and have been traveling ever since. I had my surgery in Greenville SC and did a lot of hiking there. Next 10 months were in Italy, Croatia, Morocco, Montenegro and the UK. Great hikes everywhere. Then 5 months in Black Mountain NC., near Ashville. Then Spain etc from above.
More importantly, where do you live? Where will your recovery hiking and training be?
 
People with cats don’t seem to have as many hazardous encounters.
I had 13 at the time of my surgery. The only problem I had was one jumped on my knee. Of course he was the biggest one. I screamed and he or any of the others never did it again! To keep them away while walking, I used the walker. They were afraid of it. That might work for your puppy, too.

The walker is s real good idea. But cats aren't as knuckleheaded as puppies usually lol
 
People with cats don’t seem to have as many hazardous encounters.
I had 13 at the time of my surgery. The only problem I had was one jumped on my knee. Of course he was the biggest one. I screamed and he or any of the others never did it again! To keep them away while walking, I used the walker. They were afraid of it. That might work for your puppy, too.
We sold everything in 2014 and have been traveling ever since. I had my surgery in Greenville SC and did a lot of hiking there. Next 10 months were in Italy, Croatia, Morocco, Montenegro and the UK. Great hikes everywhere. Then 5 months in Black Mountain NC., near Ashville. Then Spain etc from above.
More importantly, where do you live? Where will your recovery hiking and training be?

We live in northern Florida now I'm hoping to go out on the Florida trail this fall if I can't do anything before that
 
Well the time is set for my left knee 6AM Monday. I'm like needhope I'm not looking forward to the next month
 
:console2: We’ll be here for you!
 
Monday evening it will over with! We will be praying for you Monday morning.
 
Will be praying for you Monday ! You will be fine!
 
We are with you and are praying for you!
 
I thank God I only have two knees. Today had been a painful day. Seems more painful then before for the first day.
 
I've named my knees since we say they are babies. Bip and Bop. Bip being the right one and oldest. Bop the new born left.
So could you change my thread to "Bip and Bop" thank you
 
I've changed your thread title for you.

Here's the recovery reading again - as a refresher:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Best wishes for this new recovery. :console2:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom