TKR Bip and Bop<

I'm so glad it is feeling better. I know you were quite uncomfortable for a while. It just goes to show you can you can make just a simple wrong move, and then, bam, awful pain for days. Two steps forward, one step back for sure!
 
I’m glad your quad muscle is starting to get better. Heat and ice will probably help. I pulled a muscle in my back/hip over a week ago and I’m sitting on a heating pad as I’m typing this, getting ready to get an ice pack. It takes a while to recover, just take it easy.
 
SistersinHim is it normal from r the knee to get hot when you re up and around on it. When I'm off it the heat goes away.
 
Good morning, @ATHIKER. As long as your knee isn't really hot, I think you're OK. You are still in the very early stages of healing and it's easy for your knee to get angry. If you believe it actually hot and not just extra warm, you should call your doctor. How's your swelling? How about that quad muscle, is that where it's hot? I have read that when your knee is healing that it creates heat. I pray that's all it is with you. But, you do need to be sure if it is hot!
 
Last edited:
It's just extra warm. If I'm not up and around it's normal. I think the blood just rushes there when I'm walking etc. I see Dr Wednesday for pre op so far lol mention it to him
 
SistersinHim is it normal from r the knee to get hot when you re up and around on it. When I'm off it the heat goes away.
Yes, it's normal.

Your knee will feel warmer than the other knee for about a year. It's a sign that healing is going on under the surface.
 
As I said earlier I get my left knee done on April 9 and ten days later we bring home a new German Shepherd puppy. This should be an interesting couple of weeks. My hubby will let the pup out but he isn't a dog person and any training is my responsibility which I look forward to usually. All can be put a little out in the future except house breaking and it usually means training yourself at first not the pup. Oh well I'll figure it out give me something to think on besides my knee.
 
Definitely something to think about besides your knee! I hope you won’t be tempted to pick up the puppy until you are at least a couple months out from your surgery. Balance won’t be your strong suit for a while. And of course consistency in housebreaking will have to depend on how well-trained your husband is to move quickly when you say “Puppy out!” :snork:
 
As I said earlier I get my left knee done on April 9 and ten days later we bring home a new German Shepard puppy. This should be an interesting couple of weeks. My hubby will let the pup out but he isn't a dog person and any training is my responsibility which I look forward to usually.
Not really the best timing for getting a puppy.

Do have a talk with your husband about what he will do with the pup, as your first priority will have to be your knee. It would be good if, this time, he would do a bit more, for your sake.

You may have to consider crating the pup for short periods, as the last thing you want bouncing around a new knee or trying to jump up on you is a rambunctious puppy.
 
I know the timing stinks but we got such a good deal for him and I love hiking with a dog and with my whole psyche I want to be hiking. May not make sense to some but it's backpacking dog = happy times.
I did pick out the most payed back one and he will be crate trained. I wish I knew how to put a picture on here cause he would make anyone smile
 
He is adorable, but if he creates a situation where you fall or injure yourself, he won't be as cute. I would read SherrieT's thread where she took a fall at 2 weeks while walking with her dog. Oh my gosh it sounded so awful, and it set her back a bit. And her dog wasn't a puppy - they are such knuckleheads. Loveable but worse than children. Good luck with him Athiker. Just be extremely careful. I know he will be worth it if you can navigate his puppydom without getting hurt yourself.
 
Hi ATHIKER
You have done some amazing stuff. I am just a day hiker, light pack and poles. I am three years out from BTKR. I feel your pain. It will get better every day.
 
I did read her thread. I hurt for her. One good thing we have 7 acres and we're off by ourselves so he doesn't have to be on a leash.
I'm still having some trouble with swelling in the right knee since I hurt the muscle. I'm sure not going to take the left recovery for granted. It only took one wrong move to set me way back.
 
Hi ATHIKER
You have done some amazing stuff. I am just a day hiker, light pack and poles. I am three years out from BTKR. I feel your pain. It will get better every day.

Are you back to hiking? I hope it doesn't take three years for me to get there :(
 
Also read what happened to @MiXCskier. Out walking with the dog and... bam. Now he has a broken kneecap. Dogs are wonderful companions and members of the family. I love my dog. She also took out my left knee (pre-op) many years ago. A spinning standard poodle is a lot of force on a knee. So we can trip over dogs, get bumped by them, jumped on by them, and pulled into awkward steps by them. Even well-trained dogs can do us in. That’s not to say don’t have a dog or take care of a dog (of course you will!), but you will need to be extra careful. :puppysmooze:

People with cats don’t seem to have as many hazardous encounters. :catwindow:
 
People with cats don’t seem to have as many hazardous encounters
It's true that cats don't jump, bump, shove but they are notorious for planting themselves right in front of you--I spent a lot of time looking at my feet in early days of recovery, watching for the furry tripping hazard. :)
 
I trekked all over Spain and Portugal last summer and made it to the summit of Kilimanjaro on September 2nd, just 2.5 years after surgery. You have MANY great miles ahead of you.
I keep thinking about your pack. I only carry 20 pounds at most. You may have to train differently, but it may not be a problem since you are used to it. Have you ever considered getting a llama?
 
Back
Top Bottom