Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bionic knee #2 done 1-21-15

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is awesome progress you are making and we have another thing in common up until couple years ago I had Siamese cats and I laughed when I read your post saskia my boy was like that I miss him much they talk and are the best companions


20/01/2015
 
@Awriterafoot. I had to comment. The vision of your pack walking round in circles made me laugh! Hilarious what they do! I have two dogs who would do the same. Such characters. I can't imagine what it's like with all that snow. I've never seen real snow! I've seen Australian snow but according to my mum it's nothing like snow in Europe or elsewhere. The weather here has been 40 deg Celsius. I think that about 104 Fahrenheit but don't quote me on that. It's too hot to walk outside so I'm pretty much doing the same or waiting till late at night to go for a walk. Good luck for a continuing fantastic recovery.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
We have the same surgery date and I too felt an upturn this weekend. I did more pt ( stretching to get more rom and wall heel slides) and paid for it Monday. I had to take 3 doses of 5mg percocet. Are still taking something mostly everyday? I hope week 6 will be even more of a turning point.
 
Hi Barbara - so happy to hear that you are feeling even better, great news! you, too, @janmont!

My doctor extended my return to work date a couple of weeks - he wants me to focus on my flex so I'm also going to stay with the percocet for now. I'll get there!
 
That is awesome progress you are making and we have another thing in common up until couple years ago I had Siamese cats and I laughed when I read your post saskia my boy was like that I miss him much they talk and are the best companions


20/01/2015
They are so great, aren't they? This guy is a big, beautiful cat, very friendly, very present. I adore him.
 
Good news on the delay, @TexasTee. You do want plenty of time to heal properly.

Saw my surgeon today who was very happy with my progress, said he was proud of me (shucks!). Then PT, where we did a LOT--bands and leg press and balance and...I don't more. I am so tired tonight its all I can do to stay up until 8.

Also : I am released to SWIM!!!!!!!!! Absolutely made my day. I'll still have to get my beloved to drive me.

Other right knee folks...when do you think you'll drive? I was hoping I might be ready next week, but I don't think so. Just not able to move fast enough, really.
 
@janmont, yes, I'm still taking meds every day, regularly. At this stage, that is pretty normal. You'll know when you're ready to step down. You'll start forgetting to take it.
 
I'm glad you got the ok to swim, I can't till week 8. I know it would help us. I had my right knee done and my pt said she thought I could drive now and that was last Friday. My quads are good and I ditched the cane a week 1/2 ago. I have "practiced " braking and accelerating with a red Thera band and I know I could do it but I have my rides lined up this week. The knee is achey so I guess I will stick with 5 mg perc when needed.
 
Official member of the ODIC. ;) Worked on business stuff this morning, then surgeon and we found almost little shitzhu who was running down the middle of the street, poor wee thing, then grocery store, & a very vigorous PT and I fell asleep but woke up with pain & the twitches. Now me & cat are curled up in the recliner drinking herbal tea.

Tomorrow: rest day.
 
Terrific report from your Doc and congrats on being able to SWIM, that sounds so nice!!

I had my right done and I've actually been driving for a week or so but I think the fact that you have had two ops this year makes your situation very different - the stamina/energy drain has already happened to you once and this second time is going to take longer for you to be able to bounce back from, I'd think?
 
Saw my surgeon today who was very happy with my progress, said he was proud of me (shucks!). Then PT, where we did a LOT--bands and leg press and balance and...I
I remember the exer-bands quite well---and all of the balance exercises!

One of the balance exercises that I had to do was to stand on a BOSU ball and toss a medicine ball into a bounce-back net---from the left, from the right, and over-head---on two legs and then on one!

You are doing great!!!

Those occasional lapses and journeys into the ODIC will slowly subside and be a thing of the past!
 
Gotta work on that iPad typing! LOL

Thanks for the encouragement, @referee54 Once I had a good sleep, I felt pretty good. Two steps forward, a half step back. And repeat. :)
 
Impressed that you are driving, @jamont and @TexasTee. I thought about it yesterday because the PT asked me if I thought I was ready and I had to say no way. I feel pretty strong and I was driving last time at this point, but the leg is just not that fast. I'd worry about going accelerator to brake. Also, ice on the roads complicate it. Didn't have that wrinkle last time. The big thing I'd like is to get out of my poor husband's pocket. He's done a lot of driving.

All in good time. He's the one who kept urging me to consider TKR and has been very, very supportive through the long healing process. (Started in August and flowed into this one.) It would be silly to spend all this time healing and then make silly errors so close to the finish line.
 
Oh! I was completely forgetting about the snow - no way would I be driving yet in snow, you are wise to wait. I'm sure your husband is happy to help - mine certainly was/is - they would far rather help us than see us do something without them and end up hurt. I also keep my trips short and to the point, I'd be very hesitant to agree to drive anywhere outside of my 3-4 mile bubble in my part of town...there is simply no way I'd be driving the 20 miles to the office.
 
Something I started with my last knee was "what I can do today that I couldn't do yesterday." So, today: go down stairs with both legs. Also, slept all night, which was heavenly.

More snow today so the sidewalks are icy, but I do have PT, and I think I might let myself have a glass of wine tomorrow night. It feels like real life is coming back.
 
I feel pretty strong and I was driving last time at this point, but the leg is just not that fast. I'd worry about going accelerator to brake.
I think you're being very wise.
I started driving again at about 5 weeks post-op, but for about a week before I did I would sit in my car and practice moving my foot quickly from accelerator to brake, until I was sure I could do it fast and strongly. I would pretend I was doing an emergency stop.

Of course, you have to be off all strong medications, too.
 
Sleeping all night awesome and walking normally downstairs I cannot do that yet up is ok


20/01/2015
 
I can't go down stairs with both either, I peg leg it. It' s good to see you are better.
 
One day up….one day not so much….PT kicked my butt yesterday. I'm achy and exhausted today. (there is an exercise that uses bands across the ankles, then sideways walking, that fires up my lower back and right leg so much. I'm going to tell them I'm happy to do it some other way, but not doing that again. It hurst so much when I'm doing it that I was in tears by the end, I don't cry over exercise.)

Might be falling down on protein again, too. Made arrangements to go out and get some serious protein for dinner. (I don't cook meat very often.) I am getting ready to get back to a deadline book on Monday morning, which means switching gears and putting aside a project that I've just been playing with, and getting back to actual word counts each day.

Husband is going to take me to swimming pool on Sunday and I start a watercolor class tomorrow morning--both things to look forward to. Also, wine with dinner :egypdance:tonight. In the meantime, I guess when you have your legs chopped in half it's okay to still be in recovery mode and need to just rest some days. It's been a month. Not that long. Also stepping down on drugs a little, which is taking some consideration.

It would be helpful if the sun would shine. I'm Colorado bred, so really used to LOTS of sunshine, and it's been snowy/gloomy for a week, with more to come. Very cold, too, only 8 degrees right now (-13 Celsius), and all the ice that melted is back, so no walking outside for me today. Me & the animals can do our paces inside. :)
 
Watercolor class and a swim - sounds like a great weekend!!

Agree on the exercise - there is always another way to do anything. I had PT today and told my guy we needed to switch it up a lot this week - we did massage, a ton of stretches and just gentle strength training and I feel much better now than I have in a while.

I'm with you on the need for sun - I am from San Diego and if the sun is not shining, Teresa is not happy. I've gotten my OS approval to tan as long as I cover the incision so I've been going every other day for just 10 minutes - it actually counts as an extension exercise and it really cheers me up. It's due to warm up here this weekend - I hope the sun makes it up to you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom