Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bionic knee #2 done 1-21-15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleep issues are driving me crazy. Last night was the worst so far--I probably only slept about 1.5 hours at a time and finally really fell asleep around 3 am. I have to be alert to work, so this is causing me big problems. I'm seeing the doc today but I'm sure he'll refer me to my regular physician. And honestly, I do not want any more pills. I have to find a way to sleep without them.

I have been cutting back on on pain meds, 1/2 at a time. Am also going to try to be sure to get full walks in or long swim every single day, and no wine at night for awhile again. It seems to wake me up and maybe makes the restlessness worse.

This, too, will pass. But right at the moment, I'm tired and cranky about it. The knees are feeling really good most of the time. It's just nighttime now.
 
Sorry about the sleep issues Barbara - they take their toll, very quickly!! Something to consider - I know referee and well, I forget the names but several folks mentioned that they had to go on Ambian for 10 days and that "reset" their sleep cycle and they went off the drug and continued to sleep fine. I totally understand your aversion to more meds but if what you are trying doesn't work, well, at least it's an option.
 
Sorry about the sleep issues Barbara - they take their toll, very quickly!! Something to consider - I know referee and well, I forget the names but several folks mentioned that they had to go on Ambian for 10 days and that "reset" their sleep cycle and they went off the drug and continued to sleep fine. I totally understand your aversion to more meds but if what you are trying doesn't work, well, at least it's an option.
Yes---my OS offered to write a prescription for Ambien, but I recursed it as I was afraid of the meds---but, when I returned to the classroom on about 2 1/2 hours sleep the night before, I finally gave in.

i took the Ambien for only ten nights---and it was a big help. It did reset my sleep pattern and the frustrations ended.
 
@TexasTee and @referee54, thanks for that info. If this keeps up, I will definitely look into it. I'm usually such a champion sleeper that I hardly know how to handle this! And it's good to know that I'm not alone, which is the great blessing of BoneSmart, isn't it?

I'm also going to look into acupuncture for the skin issues that seem related to the six months of various drugs, anesthesia, etc. I've never tried it, but massage and holistic practices like meditation and yoga have helped me in the past, so I'm willing to give it a try. At this point, having undergone ENORMOUS surgeries when I said I would never do it, I'm a lot more open-minded both directions. :)

I worked out pretty hard today, treadmill inclines to build my thighs and legs for hiking in a couple of months, and it was very vigorous. My lungs loved it since they've had very little hard breathing for ages. I was kind of coughing and breathing deeply afterward. A great sign of movement. Maybe I'll also be tired enough to sleep!
 
Oh, and good news: my surgeon said he doesn't need to see me for the 12 week check. It was the 8-week check for right knee, 6 month check for the left, and he was pleased enough with both that he said I don't need to come back until the 6 month check on the right.

Life, she's looking pretty sweet. Hiking season is upon us in Colorado. I so cannot wait!
 
Great news on being cleared for take-off!! I'm sure once you are able to be out on the trails you'll sleep great again.
 
Turns out the exercise yesterday really did the trick. I had the best night's sleep I've had since surgery (and no nightmares!). Eight full hours and I never even woke up to go to the bathroom. My knees are a little bit swollen, but not much, and nothing hurts even though I've taken nothing for more than 18 hours. (Yay!)

This morning it is snowing again, a spring trick, so I can't do the slow long walk I had planned. Instead, I'm going to the warm pool and do some easy walking & swimming and get in the hot tub for a bit. Easy, but exercise.

I'm posting because this is such an up and down journey and I want to be true to the actual experience. I have loved the support I've found here. Just had dinner with a friend on Saturday night who is getting her first knee done in May and I told her she must come here and find her graduating class. She is here now, and when she creates a thread, I'll let you guys know.

I also told my PT about it, and the doc.
 
Up and down, up and down. Did so much this week--gardening and long walks and swimming and treadmill climbs---and today I woke up feeling completely exhausted. Ha. No surprise, but it's humbling to realize that I'm still healing, that my body is in charge, not my brain. I'd also started trying to get back to a sort of diet and that was a no-go, too. Healing seems to take a lot of energy!

The good news is that I'm really weaning off the vicodin and haven't even been using Tylenol. Right girl gets twinge-y at night especially, but that's all that remains. The swelling is remarkably better, too.

Next week, I'm heading out for a writer's retreat at Lake Tahoe, where my good walking buddy will be. Not sure how it will be walking on sand, but there are many other walks if it gets too hard. I suspect it will be fine, and I haven't seen her since before the first surgery, when I was really hurting and couldn't do the things I did before, so it will be wonderful to be whole and present again.
 
Up and down, up and down. Did so much this week--gardening and long walks and swimming and treadmill climbs---and today I woke up feeling completely exhausted. Ha. No surprise, but it's humbling to realize that I'm still healing, that my body is in charge, not my brain. I'd also started trying to get back to a sort of diet and that was a no-go, too. Healing seems to take a lot of energy!
WE are all or will be members of the "Overdid It Club."

As I have stated many times before, though, my learning curve was rather long!

These TKR recoveries do take quite some time, and when we push it a little too far, our bodies seem to reign us back in.

Stamina is one of the last aspects to return, but you will get there!
 
I think it's fantastic that you've been able to do so much and that you are able to recognize when it's time to take a break. Good for you!!
 
Here is my funny report for the day: it was time for my hair to be fixed up. I ended up getting it cut quite short, which I never do. (The photo hair is very short for me.) It feels kicky and youthful and I guess I just feel like a different person now and somehow wanted to look different, too! :)

My husband was so sweet. A little startled, then, "I love it."

This would have freaked me out in the past, but after getting two total knees, a haircut feels pretty minor.
 
Dear Awriterafoot, I was always having leg and foot cramps after getting into bed at night. Extra water and bananas (suggested by others) didn't do the trick. My PCP suggested the magnesium, as you mentioned, and it seems to do the trick. I don't take it every day, but if I wake up with an issue, I take one or two tablets with water, wait a bit and then go back to bed. Works for me. Good luck.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congrats on the brave new look - show us!! I have considered cutting my hair several times but my hair guy says no :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Bionic knee #2 done 1-21-15
Congrats on the brave new look - show us!! I have considered cutting my hair several times but my hair guy says no :)

Ha! My usual woman is on vacation, so I got an adventurous beauty who said that's it's a good idea to play with our hair. I've been weary of the gym hair issues--so much time to dry & shape it, but I don't want to live life wth a braid, either, so this was my answer. So far, I'm loving it, and it can be shaped up in about five minutes from soaking wet. This is the photo.

Today I took my longest walk so far. Just over four miles, which felt wonderful.
 
Cute!! I am generally drip dry as I have no patience standing there with the hair dryer - once it's mostly dry I do use the Baybliss dryer that I found out about here :) It's great but a lot longer than 5 minutes. One day I'll convince my hair guy...
 
Love the hair. And love the 5 minute styling. I'm impressed by th 4 mile walk...I do about 2.5 on a good day. How are the knees...Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Love your hair. I'm going for a cut and color this week to hopefully cheer me up. I had let the gray grown out last year. Now that I have the new knee, I want a younger more carefree look. Let the wind blow through my short, new do as I walk!
 
@Newone15 That's how I felt. Like I needed a new look to go with my new internal self. I'm like my grandmother in having no gray whatsoever (it could have gone the other way so easily since my dad was entirely silver by 40), but I have had the same long cut for ages and ages. Go for it! It's really cheering to get out to the hairdresser, too.

Just noticed your surgery date. Will you be able to sit for that long?
 
@Maggie94, you had two knees done. I only had one and then another. 2.5 miles is great!!! How are your stairs going?

Tonight, the knees are a tiny bit blocky, you know what I mean, but really okay. What I loved this afternoon was that every time I came to a cutoff, I asked the knees what they thought. Every time, they said, "we're good. Keep going." I almost forgot to ask them sometimes! :)

It's just such a sense of freedom and relief. You don't know until it's done that it really will work out so well.

Teresa, @TexasTee, you look like you have a lot of curly hair--and very pretty. Drip dry works for that very well. I used to drip dry mine, and it was very long, but then it got waves and some curls and some straight and it's so exasperating!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom