Bilateral PKR scheduled for 3 October

@Jockette

I certainly needed a walker in the beginning, especially the first week. I used it for 2 weeks because my surgeon said to. I liked it a lot. If the hospital won’t provide one I suggest you buy one yourself and have it for when you get home.. Preferably one with wheels on the front.

I also highly recommend the raised toilet seat, at 8 months post op I still need it. But then I’ve been using one for years, so I’m not used to the lower ones anymore.

Personally I doubt I could ever use crutches! I’m sure I would fall with them! But many use them successfully.

My Dad had tkrs on both knees a few years ago and has lent me a walker (no wheels though) crutches and a toilet seat riser so I already have those here, I also have one walking stick that I’ve had to use on occasions, don’t have two though.

I already decided at the appointment that I wasn’t confident in her advice so will speak to PT in a bit and rely on the surgeon and anaesthetist on the day :unsure:

When I went to my pre op on Monday the nurse who was giving me some odd advice also gave me the number for physio and told me to give them a call and have a chat over the phone with them, I called this morning And explained I was told to have a chat over the phone with them about things and she said she needed to see me, the more I think about it the more I realise that nurse didn’t know what she was talking about!

So physio appt tomorrow at 11.30.....time to find out what things I will really need after the op x

I’m glad your dad has lent you those things. Better to have them and maybe not need them than the other way around.

Sounds like you have the most important equipment (esp. the toilet seat riser... seriously, if I was told I could have only one, that would be the one). If you can get your hands on a walker with wheels, that would be good, because it’s easier to push around. But what you have will do the job. You may never need more than one walking stick. I went from walker to a single cane and never had a problem.

Consider the appointment with physio an important interview. Are they good enough for your knees? Can you work with them, or will they try to boss you around? Getting a sense of how well you fit together is very helpful.

@SusieShoes

Consider the appointment with physio an important interview. Are they good enough for your knees? Can you work with them, or will they try to boss you around? Getting a sense of how well you fit together is very helpful.

This appt is pre op physio at Hospital, and I guess to cover the Hospital stay and early days, my physio after my op will be done privately, with a lady who helped me with my knee prior to surgery, know her well and know she won’t push me to do anything I can’t or don’t want to do

Physio appt at the hospital this morning went well and was very positive. PT said I will be using a walker in the hospital on the first day, maybe 2nd morning. She suggested I bring in the crutches and my stick and said that she would think I would probably be using one or the other, she did suggested that Nordic Walking poles are good also as they keep you from stooping.

She told me I will be given some exercises to do on my own and she also said that I will go back after 2 weeks for an outpatient appointment to get dressings off and clips out and pt will check how I am doing then, I can then have my physio through the hospital or privately with the lady I saw before.

Good luck Wags, I am a similar age but have a TKR in Feb.

Would be interested in the followup and after care you get as I am UK based too

Two days and no postponement in sight... yay! Finally you get to take care of your knees and start back on the track to the full life you want to lead. :friends:

I’ve heard of Nordic walking sticks and am quite intrigued by them. A few members have used them and sang their praises. I suspect they would be wonderful if you like to walk on more rustic paths, but I’ve been told they work well on any surface. I was boring and used a walker at first, then a cane. Canes are not nearly as cool as Nordic walking sticks, but I will say mine got the job done.

Best of luck on your surgery Tuesday! :flwrysmile:

@SusieShoes

Two days and no postponement in sight... yay! Finally you get to take care of your knees and start back on the track to the full life you want to lead. :friends:

I did get a phone call from the hospital this morning :scaredycat:panicked but when I answered it it was the admission nurse asking me to go in at 1pm instead of 1:30pm.....1/2hr less to wait I guess :happydance:

@Wags I’ll definitely be thinking of you tomorrow! Best wishes for success!:console2:

Good luck, hope it all goes/went well!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom