Bilateral PKR scheduled for 3 October

New consultant said he felt a partial was more beneficial at my age rather than a total, as a partial gives a better range of movement as is better for someone of my age that is more active, also the two outer compartments are not showing any signs of damage at present and why replace something that is ok.
Speaking as someone who has had both a partial and a total, I can tell you that there is absolutely no difference in range of movement between them.

Nor is there any need to differentiate based on your age between having a partial and a total. The only consideration should be the state of your knee.

I had a PKR that lasted 11 years and then a revision to a TKR on my right knee. When my left knee developed osteoarthritis, I chose to go straight to a TKR, even though only one compartment of my knee was involved at that stage. I chose that, so that I would have just one surgery, instead of two.

So I just spoke to consultants Secretary....new date is 24th November for Right patellofemoral pkr, left one will be arranged at 6 week check up.

Just hope I’m doing the right thing

We will all think positively!

If it’s all they will do, then do it. At least you know going in, that somewhere down the line you may need it revised to a total. That came as a shock to me.
And the recovery is just as long as a total.

After a long recovery both of us should see major improvements over what we had before surgery.

Hang out with us here on Bonesmart, and follow the Bonesmart approach. We care and we will go through this with you. :console2:

Thank @Jockette

I feel sick with worry already, I was supposed to ring consultants secretary first thing this morning to confirm date, which leg first and I couldn’t even pick up the phone, kept putting it off :yikes:

Husband rang me to find out if I’d called her so he can book time off work and then had to call, it was lunchtime and she wasn’t there, I strangely felt relieved at this :yes!: but when my my phone started ringing I couldn’t answer it...it’s like by not ringing her or answering the phone I was buying myself time...stupid I know, no idea why I’m doing it :shrug:

Anyway 24th it is, think they are going to do a metal allergy test beforehand too.

For now I have to get my head around it actually happening this time and at this moment in time my knees feel ok, Sod’s law huh, maybe it’s my brain telling me not to do it :heehee:

I was so scared, too! I wanted to cancel so many times but I had already told all my friends and didn’t want to face them and tell them I changed my mind!

Have you read any of the recovery threads? (That may scare you more) but it will give you a good perspective of what to expect (something else I didn’t have!) and what to do and especially what NOT to do. Knowledge is power!

If you don’t have any surgery your knee will not get better. (I have to tell myself that, too!)

Seriously, stay in contact with Bonesmart, the staff and members are awesome. Whatever you experience, someone else on here probably has, too, and that is so comforting.

To be very honest, I trust Bonesmart more than my surgeon! I definitely prefer the Bonesmart approach to recovery over my surgeon’s!

@Jockette

I’ve read lots of things about it, some good, some bad and I think I need to stop because it’s making me worse now, I know it can be very painful, I know it’s going to be a slow recovery and I know it’s not going to be easy but what worries me more are my allergies and what pain relief they’ll be able to give me, and if I’ll have a reaction to it :yikes:

Well, they will test you for the metal allergy and that will help.

Try to relax, come back here later and recover with us.

I’ll definitely be thinking of you!

I don’t believe this....hospital just called, one of their theatres has had a flood, op has been put back again, now on 28/11.....is someone trying to tell me something?

Or maybe this is a higher being’s way of making sure everything goes well. One never really knows. A bit more time to get your metal allergy test done, and the results in, and deal with whatever that shows... and you do want an unflooded operating theatre. One of the best mantras to exercise for knee replacement is “Go with the flow.” Just take things as they come, because there’s no good way to rush them, time them, or predict them. It’s easier on the nerves. :)

Oh, wow, how often does that happen! I’m sorry you have another delay.

@Jockette

Tell me about it....and I can’t even blame the NHS lol, it’s just my luck.

Oh well a few more days reprieve lol :loll:

Hello,
I had pkr on Oct 23 2017. It has been just over two weeks since the surgery. I had a procedure using the Mako robot and the performed a patella femoral replacement. The surgeon has been doing joint replacements for 20 years. Partial seemed best for me as the rest of my knee has no issues and I was hoping for a more natural feel.
All that being said I was so nervous I was in tears the morning of the surgery, but I had to go through with it as the pain was not bearable from the osteoarthritis.

Fast forward to today. There is some pain in the quads and ROM is slow to come, but everyday gets better. I have not had to take Oxy since Oct 31.
This morning I was able to drive myself to the store to get groceries, walk around the store with only a cane and no pain. The pain following surgery has been nothing compared to before. I tell you this just to give you confidence that you can do it!
If I can, you can! Good luck and stay positive.

Hi @RGRG

Thank you so much for your comment, it’s really good to read such a positive one, I know everyone is different In their recovery but it always helps to hear something positive.

Thank you, I hope you are doing a recovery thread as I will follow your progress, my op for right patellofemoral pkr is now on 28th November so I’ll be about 5 weeks behind you. Which leg did you have done?

I also wish @RGRG would post a recovery thread. With partials, especially, we tend to see mostly people who struggle post-surgery. It’s always good to have examples of excellent recoveries for visitors to the site to see.

Hello, I appreciate the kind words about my post. I’m very new to this subject and I never had surgery before in my life until my left knee patellafemoral replacement. I will attempt to post a recovery thread so that other folks that are going to have a partial can get an idea of how it’s going. Is definitely a day to day experience but I see it getting nothing but better in the future. I really feel like reading this forum and understanding not overdoing it has made my recovery so much smoother. @Wags, you will do great! Stay positive and again I can’t stress enough to not overdo it. Thanks our RGRG

Pre op assessment booked for Monday 20th....2nd one for my knee op, at least I know I’m quite healthy :yay:

Had quite a positive day today, long may it continue :wowspring:

I had my pre op earlier today, all ok apart from blood pressure a little low but that’s normal for me, this time got given four pre op drinks.

Going in at 1pm on 28/11 for my patellofemoral pkr, the nurse told me I won’t be able to have any morphine based pain killers because I can’t take tramadol, and can’t have anti inflammatorys either because I’m allergic to aspirin/nsaids, she told me I’ll probably just get paracetamol or cocodamol.

I then asked her about any aids I will require and she said I won’t require a walking frame or crutches at all as I will only be using a stick from day one. I said that last time I’d been told about needing a walker, then crutches by my consultant and she said that was because it was bilateral that time and because I’m only having one done now those things won’t be necessary. She also said I won’t need a toilet seat riser either, she has told me to call physio tomorrow though. Bit confused as Admission letter talks about crutches etc :shrug:

Will be interested to find out what physio say :chinstroke:

the nurse told me I won’t be able to have any morphine based pain killers because I can’t take tramadol, and can’t have anti inflammatorys either because I’m allergic to aspirin/nsaids, she told me I’ll probably just get paracetamol or cocodamol.
This is all something you need to discuss with your surgeon or anaesthetist, not a nurse.
There are pain killers that aren't morphine-based and just because you can't take Tramadol doesn't mean you won't be able to take one of those.

What happens when you take Tramadol? If it's nausea or vomiting, you can be given anti-nausea medication, just as you could for other narcotics.

I certainly needed a walker in the beginning, especially the first week. I used it for 2 weeks because my surgeon said to. I liked it a lot. If the hospital won’t provide one I suggest you buy one yourself and have it for when you get home.. Preferably one with wheels on the front.

I also highly recommend the raised toilet seat, at 8 months post op I still need it. But then I’ve been using one for years, so I’m not used to the lower ones anymore.

Personally I doubt I could ever use crutches! I’m sure I would fall with them! But many use them successfully.

@Celle

This is all something you need to discuss with your surgeon or anaesthetist, not a nurse.
There are pain killers that aren't morphine-based and just because you can't take Tramadol doesn't mean you won't be able to take one of those.

What happens when you take Tramadol? If it's nausea or vomiting, you can be given anti-nausea medication, just as you could for other narcotics.

I had a bad reaction to it in recovery after a previous op, was advised by Hospital Dr never to take it again. Don’t think I was sick but it had to be flushed through my system quickly and I was kept longer in recovery, don’t really remember as wasn’t really with it :what:

Unfortunately I seem to react to most medications so I usually end up with anti nausea injections :sigh:

I will definitely take my advice from the surgeon/anaesthetist on the day, husband came to the appointment with me and we both thought she didn’t appear to know what she was doing most of the appointment anyway :thud:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads